Rain Forest #65

devriesj

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2005 08:33 pm
Bummer! Would you like one of us to do it for you, MA? I'd be glad to help & I'm sure others would do the same.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2005 08:36 pm
Thank you for the offer, J. But what's the point? If I can't access it, I can't access it. I'm a big boy now and it won't make me shed any tears.
0 Replies

devriesj

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2005 08:38 pm
I know. Just wanted to getcha on the map is all - so we can just see where ya are. We'll wave anyway!
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2005 09:09 pm
Prolly not ole' Betsy, Merry.

Each time i click on the site from my favorites, the map changes. Sometimes i can view the entire map and pin locations, and other times not. <sigh>

Have you tried connecting to the map using a different browser? That may work for ya.

wavng to ya Ul ~ <and will probably find the Netherlands on the map eventually> Confused
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 08:06 am
Dev-J, if you really want to get me on the map, my zip is 02116. Thx. (I'll never see it, of course. Smile)
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 08:44 am
Bummer, MA, we'll see ya on the map though.
The map site is really new and still in beta - so someone is obviously working on it regularly. That could have a bearing on your difficulties.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 09:30 am
aktbird57 - You and your 284 friends have supported 2,092,923.5 square feet!

Marine Wetlands habitat supported: 78,167.9 square feet.
You have supported: (0.0)
Your 284 friends have supported: (78,167.9)

American Prairie habitat supported: 42,461.4 square feet.
You have supported: (10,862.1)
Your 284 friends have supported: (31,599.3)

Rainforest habitat supported: 1,972,294.2 square feet.
You have supported: (165,944.4)
Your 284 friends have supported: (1,806,349.8)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1 Aktbird57 .. 1273 48.038 acres

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

... a Brazilian group looking for volunteers to help map the rainforest ...

http://www.iracambi.com/english/volunteers_roles_gps_mapping.shtml

Quote:
to get more information we have to go out into the field, up the mountain, across the river, down the lane and through a waterfall to get more points, which leads to more information to feed in to our GIS.

Current priorities

* Carrying out ground-truthing work to ensure that the land uses we have identified match up with what is on the land.
* Map the areas we have re-planted on our own Fazenda.
* Collect points for animal sightings.

Skills and expertise needed

* Physically fit
* Technically proficient
* Enjoy outdoor work
* A scientific background would be an advantage for some of the projects we need mapped

Time frames

As this is a very outdoor role it is one that can really only be done in the dry season, from the beginning of April to the end of September.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 10:00 am
Hello from New Mexico! I too haven't been around, but I have been clicking pretty regularly and will never give up the fight.

Stradee, I loved the Yale Map link. Some of the names are hilarious! Loved England's sea route to matrimony. Go through rocks and straits with names like Jealousy, Uncertainty, then up the path to Hymen and on to Matrimony. Whew!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 10:05 am
Diane, you've still got an account inside the aktbird's - do you still have access to it?
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 10:53 am
Hi Diane, good to see you. Say hello to dys for us.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 10:58 am
Yes, Bethie, I've been clicking regularly even though I haven't been on A2K very often or very consistently.

Thanks, dannon. Dys has been clicking also--I just don't know how regularly. I will say hello.

We hope to get down to Big Bend maybe in December. Wanna join us?
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 11:43 am
Hi Diane, not a wonder seafaring mappers chose navigating the Straights of Magellian or the Cape of Good Hope instead... "whew" is right!! Very Happy

Glad you dropped by to say "hi"! Wildclickers rock!

Beth, wow ~ now if the Brazilians can keep thier employees safe.... Shocked sounds like a great job!
0 Replies

devriesj

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 03:23 pm
Now, if only I didn't have the kiddies at home to take care of, I'd be on my way to Brasil!!!

FYI, Just put Merry Andrew on the frappr map. Here's hopin' he'll be able to get on the site himself, as technical difficulties prevent him from doing so!

All clicked.
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 05:54 pm
Thanks dev, MA is a good addition to the map. And, I'm very sure he will have some things to say when he gains access.

Diane, Aw girl, I wish I could go to the Bend with you both. At this time my Patti needs me here. I don't know if you heard, but, she has MS and I am taking care of her.
You know, I'm sure, there are many Native American hieroglyphs dating form antiquity all along the Rio Grand..... I always wanted to go there. I heard too that there are some pretty good margaritas to be had at Del Rio and Larado.

I stumbled back across the border at about one in the morning at Aqua Prieta, AZ years ago. As I approached the border I saw the US guard look out the window. He came to the door and as I stumbled past he asked, "What ya got in the bag?" I answered, "A duck, a frog and an angel." As I had been shopping during the day prior to stopping at the saloon. I didn't stop and the guard didn't ask me to stop. grin
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 09:59 pm
Had a very similar incident at the border crossing at Nogales, AZ (or Nogales, Sonora, if you prefer) some dozen years ago, Dan. Smile
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 10:26 pm
Very interesting MA - Nogales is the touristy town. Aqua Prieta, AZ is not. Or wasn't at the time my story took place. grin (It's really been a long time)

Funny story at my visit to Nogales = Went across the border into Mexico (Nogales) Started shopping, saw a clay model of an old Aztec type person (about 14 inches tall). Asked the price = $65 dollars. Continued shopping South (away from the border). Saw the exact same statue - but, began to bargain. At FIVE blocks SOUTH of the border there was no further bargaining. The person said $19.00. Now, this is all true. I went back to the BORDER store that had the $65.00 price tag and when approached by the very same clerk as before who asked, "May I help you?" I answered, "Yes, I want to buy this statue for $19.00." The clerk said immediately, "OK"
True story.
I still call the statue 'Nogales'

Oh, by the way, Aqua Prieta, AZ served as the headquarters and entry into Mexico for the US Army under Gen. Black Jack Pershing in days gone by. grin
Trivia =
He was nicknamed "Black Jack" by his 'friends' because he commanded an all African American troop in the W USA and expounded their courage to his compatriates.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 10:34 pm
Great story, Danon. You know, of course, that the prices marked in those border towns have absolutely no relationship to the actual price that the seller will accept. All you need to do is make a reasonable offer.
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2005 10:47 am
You are right MA. The world bargains much more than here in America. My first experience was in Bangkok, TH - I was on a weekend pass from my unit in RVN and my driver took me to a shop I had requested. After making my purchase and back in the car, my guide looked at me funny. I asked what the problem was. He said to me that I had offended the shop keeper by paying the asking price and that I should have bargained with him. After that, I really got into bargaining. It came in handy the year I lived in Seoul, Korea.

All clicked.
0 Replies

pwayfarer

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2005 01:44 pm
rainforest
Am I here? Unfamiliar 'puter,but I have been getting some clicks in. Oh,boy, did I find our url by the most circuitous back door!
So, hi, everybody. Milwaukee is a blast and I have heard more music per/sq minute than I can begin to relate. Tell you about it when I get back.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2005 07:01 pm
pwayfarer - thought of you on Saturday night.

I went to the North American premiere of Armide - Lully's opera about the first crusade. One of the pre-concert lecturers talked wonderfully about finding the similarities in the art forms in Christian and Muslim art of the late 11th century - to base his set on. Illuminated miniatures - fantastic!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

aktbird57 - You and your 284 friends have supported 2,094,445.4 square feet!

Marine Wetlands habitat supported: 78,472.3 square feet.
You have supported: (0.0)
Your 284 friends have supported: (78,472.3)

American Prairie habitat supported: 42,531.7 square feet.
You have supported: (10,862.1)
Your 284 friends have supported: (31,669.5)

Rainforest habitat supported: 1,973,441.5 square feet.
You have supported: (165,967.8)
Your 284 friends have supported: (1,807,473.6)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1 Aktbird57 .. 1275 48.076 acres
0 Replies