dyslexia

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 02:31 pm
Francis wrote:
Do as you are told and not...

Yes dear.
0 Replies

Beena

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 02:49 pm
Angel, one can have respect for the law in general in the sense that he won't do anything illegal. For example there are places way up north in Canada where a man can keep more than one wife. So, if he does, he's not doing anything illegal. But that doesn't mean that this person is completely moral. I would see this person as immoral and biased against women. And one who can have bias against one can also have bias against the weaker of the men's population. So in a case where no women or women's issue is involved, this person will judge according to his own whim and not do justice. He would in all probability judge for the stronger man. That is why I said that he should not be judging and not because he shows disrespect for the law. He may have his wives from up north, in which case if he comes down south and settles there, no province can tell him no matter what the law there that he has to keep only one wife and lose the others. In essence what I'm saying is that - one can be lawful and yet be immoral and an immoral person should not be made judge.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 03:23 pm
dyslexia wrote:
so noone willing to comment on the fact that the state of utah has not filed charges that he broke the law re polygamy? To me that is the only point of interest in this story.

it's not the only state law that doesn't get enforced. for example, there's this one, from michigan:

Quote:

the state of Utah attorney general's office webpage says thus:

Quote:
Polygamy is illegal in Utah and forbidden by the Arizona constitution. However, law enforcement agencies in both states have decided to focus on crimes within polygamous communities that involve child abuse, domestic violence and fraud.

http://attorneygeneral.utah.gov/polygamy.html

so they're not doing the judge any special favors, at any rate.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 03:40 pm
Beena wrote:
For example there are places way up north in Canada where a man can keep more than one wife. So, if he does, he's not doing anything illegal.

You must live in a different Canada than I do.

An alternate reality of some sort.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 04:02 pm
Beena wrote:
there are places way up north in Canada where a man can keep more than one wife

This seems perfectly fair to me. I mean to live with the girlfriend in Bermuda and occasionally send a consignment of blubber to the wives at Igloo 1245 Barren Bay, Arctic Circle, Canada.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 04:06 pm
With 3 wifes, the poor man is punished enough, let him go.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 04:11 pm
I'm warming to ya cj
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 04:27 pm
...and I just wanted to change my typo into "wives" -too late.

Steve, I know, we women can be pure hell. Laughing
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 04:32 pm
kind of interesting that FRC--Family Research Council--which describes itself thus:

Quote:
The Family Research Council (FRC) champions marriage and family as the foundation of civilization, the seedbed of virtue, and the wellspring of society. FRC shapes public debate and formulates public policy that values human life and upholds the institutions of marriage and the family. Believing that God is the author of life, liberty, and the family, FRC promotes the Judeo-Christian worldview as the basis for a just, free, and stable society.

gave Senator Orrin Hatch of Utah a 100% score on his 108th Congress voting record. maybe FRC has an Old Testament view of marriage.

Source: Meridian Magazine (an LDS zine, appropriately enough)
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 04:33 pm
I keep seein' this thread title, an' thinkin', "Oh boy, we gits ta persecute somebody . . ."--but then, i show up here, and no joy . . .
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 04:36 pm
yitwail wrote:
kind of interesting that FRC--Family Research Council--which describes itself thus:

Quote:
The Family Research Council (FRC) champions marriage and family as the foundation of civilization, the seedbed of virtue, and the wellspring of society. FRC shapes public debate and formulates public policy that values human life and upholds the institutions of marriage and the family. Believing that God is the author of life, liberty, and the family, FRC promotes the Judeo-Christian worldview as the basis for a just, free, and stable society.

gave Senator Orrin Hatch of Utah a 100% score on his 108th Congress voting record. maybe FRC has an Old Testament view of marriage.

Source: Meridian Magazine (an LDS zine, appropriately enough)

the meridian article contains this ironic comment:

Quote:
"The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints favors a constitutional amendment preserving marriage as the lawful union of a man and a woman." This was true on both the state and federal level, according to a spokesman from Church Public Affairs.

but since the amendment hasn't passed, i guess there's no need to crack down on bigamy in Utah.

don't ask me how or why I quoted myself, but rest assured i'm not suffering from multiple personality disorder. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 04:39 pm
Neither are we . . .
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 04:53 pm
and i talk to myself a lot less since i started posting here
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 06:06 pm
Beena,

I was and still am agreeing with you.
0 Replies

Beena

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 07:37 pm
yitwail wrote:
dyslexia wrote:
so noone willing to comment on the fact that the state of utah has not filed charges that he broke the law re polygamy? To me that is the only point of interest in this story.

it's not the only state law that doesn't get enforced. for example, there's this one, from michigan:

Quote:

the state of Utah attorney general's office webpage says thus:

Quote:
Polygamy is illegal in Utah and forbidden by the Arizona constitution. However, law enforcement agencies in both states have decided to focus on crimes within polygamous communities that involve child abuse, domestic violence and fraud.

http://attorneygeneral.utah.gov/polygamy.html

so they're not doing the judge any special favors, at any rate.

Oyey! Just on that blasphemy part. If someone sullies the name of God, who decides that blasphemy has been committed? Shouldn't it be God Himself? So if some human cries blasphemy, he has placed himself in place of God and so committed blasphemy and that is only if such a wrong exists. How in heaven's name can anyone know that someone has offended God? Can you please answer that?
0 Replies

Beena

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 07:40 pm
Angel you're a dear.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 08:09 pm
Beena Wrote:

Quote:
Oyey! Just on that blasphemy part. If someone sullies the name of God, who decides that blasphemy has been committed? Shouldn't it be God Himself? So if some human cries blasphemy, he has placed himself in place of God and so committed blasphemy and that is only if such a wrong exists. How in heaven's name can anyone know that someone has offended God? Can you please answer that?

I can answer that, Beena. The Bible lays it all out. But, if one doesn't read the Bible or doesn't believe in the Bible, I think I would follow the "how would I like someone saying it about me?" type thing.

Oh and BTW, welcome to A2K, sometimes a breath of fresh air, sometimes not, but some wonderful people in here nonetheless. Nice to meet you.
0 Replies

Beena

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 09:16 pm
Angel, thanks for welcoming me here and it's nice to meet you too.

By the way, the Bible is not God. God is God. And God is all logic, all intelligent, all wise. Therefore if something does not make sense I have reason to believe it is NOT the word of God.

Case in point: The Jews in the time of Christ said that He committed blasphemy when He said, 'I and the Father are one' and that, 'He's the son of God' because they said that He's equalling Himself to God. But at the same time the Jews considered themselves children of God. So if Christ says 'I'm the son of God' it constitutes blasphemy but not when the Jew says he's the child of God?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 09:19 pm
The only reason the Jews considered it blasphemy was because they did not believe He was who He was. But, since He was Christ, the Son of God, He had every right and all the authority to say it.

God calls all His followers His Children. He is our father. I call my self a Child of God but that does not mean I am begotten of Him. I am a Chid of God through Jesus Christ.
0 Replies