religious persecution?

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2005 10:57 am
PROVO, Utah --
Quote:
A small-town judge who has three wives should not be removed from the bench because his private behavior has not tarnished the office he holds, the judge's attorney told the Utah Supreme Court on Wednesday.
Judge Walter Steed was found to be a polygamist by the state's Judicial Conduct Commission, and the panel issued an order seeking his removal from the bench in February.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,753 • Replies: 47
No top replies

roger

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2005 10:59 am
How 'bout armed robbery? So long as it doesn't tarnish the office he holds, I mean.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2005 11:04 am
of course had he been a masochist....

but perhaps thats the same as polygamist
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2005 11:04 am
yeah very true Roger, on the other hand what actually is the basis for bigamy (between consenting adults) being defined as a crime?
0 Replies

lindatw

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2005 11:21 am
I thought polygamy was illegal in all 50 states.
Is this guy nuts ? On what basis did he justify his having 3 spouses at the same time?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2005 11:24 am
his religion. and lindatw, exactly why (among consenting adults) should polygamy be illegal in any state?
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2005 11:25 am
or origamy
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2005 11:26 am
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
or origamy

exactly
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2005 03:08 pm
dyslexia wrote:
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
or origamy

exactly
not quite its origami
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2005 03:09 pm
anyway is this the thread about the bloke getting his bum stuck to the toilet seat...
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2005 03:19 pm
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
anyway is this the thread about the bloke getting his bum stuck to the toilet seat...

actually no, it's about the bloke that couldn't get to the toilet seat because of the number of women standing in line.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2005 04:08 pm
ok dys thanks you've all been very helpful tonight

gotta go now

chablis finis
0 Replies

Beena

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 12:39 pm
Re: religious persecution?
dyslexia wrote:
PROVO, Utah --
Quote:
A small-town judge who has three wives should not be removed from the bench because his private behavior has not tarnished the office he holds, the judge's attorney told the Utah Supreme Court on Wednesday.
Judge Walter Steed was found to be a polygamist by the state's Judicial Conduct Commission, and the panel issued an order seeking his removal from the bench in February.

I do wonder how a guy who keeps three wives which automatically shows that he has no respect for the women in his life will judge appropriately where a woman's issue comes underway?
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 12:47 pm
Beena wrote:
I do wonder how a guy who keeps three wives which automatically shows that he has no respect for the women in his life...

Which mind-conditionning factory have you attended?
0 Replies

Beena

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 01:09 pm
Francis wrote:
Beena wrote:
I do wonder how a guy who keeps three wives which automatically shows that he has no respect for the women in his life...

Which mind-conditionning factory have you attended?

Your own conditioned mind owns such factories and runs them, not me. My mind is FREE!
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 01:11 pm
So the State of Utah refuses to prosecute the judge for polygamy yet he has been determined to be guilty. Interesting isn't it?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 02:06 pm
I think having one spouse ought to be illegal.

Does this help?

Oh, it ought to be easy to see if he has 3 wives.....3 marriage certificates, 0 divorce certificates.....voila!

I CAN see a reason to bar him from the bench.

He has, presumably, sworn to uphold the law.

It appears he has broken it.

The question of whether multiple spouses ought to be illegal, or not, is a separate one.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 02:14 pm
I agree with Beena. The man appears to have no respect for woman and definitely no respect for the law. If he cannot follow the law himself, he surely should not be a judge.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 02:18 pm
so noone willing to comment on the fact that the state of utah has not filed charges that he broke the law re polygamy? To me that is the only point of interest in this story.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 02:25 pm
Lol....who can predict Mormons?
0 Replies