PRESIDENT JOHN McCAIN....CAN HE PULL SUPPORT ....

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 10:52 pm
...FROM BOTH PARTIES?

I am tired of President's learning on the job. We need someone who can rise above the mire of name-calling/hurting others to lead. Frankly, I'm more interested in the person than their party. Yes, yes, I know they can't be truly separated.

Does McCain still have enough fire and energy to lead American? Are there other proven leaders in either party who could life themselves above the fray?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 820 • Replies: 17
No top replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 10:56 pm
McCain could do it but the Republican party will never let it happen. He'd have to leave the party to get elected, I think, and maybe not even then. Still, I voted for him in the 2000 primary and would vote for him again any day of the week.
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 10:58 pm
Wow! Someone else is up at 11:57 PM Central Standard Time.. Thanks for responsing so quickly.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 10:59 pm
Yeah, I really should go to bed.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 11:24 pm
Depending on who was running for the democrats, I'd vote for McCain. Well, let's put it an other way. If McCain ran I'd vote for him unless the dems get their shite together.

Hmmm....am I really saying that?
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 11:31 pm
Do you believe McCain would consider crossing over into the Democratic Party.

Would the conservatives on the right allow him to present himself as a moderate? Could he get a nomination without them?
0 Replies

revel

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2005 08:07 am
Despite the differences between McCain the current batch of republicans, I think McCain is a republican at heart which is why (I think) he hasn't broken from the republican party yet and I don't think he will ever do so. Still if I don't like whoever runs in democratic party, I might be tempted to vote McCain. Between McCain and Hillary I would would have a hard time choosing but in the end go with Hillary because of domestic issues. But I like McCain's style and way of looking at world affairs better-he seems more moderate than Hillary and I really admire his efforts with US treatment of prisoners.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2005 08:41 am
I prefer McCain to many repubs and certainly prefer him to the current dumb ass bunch of criminals but I think in the end he would pander to the conservative "christian" right just like everyone else in the GOP. Don't forget he has proven he's willing to step up to the plate for bush at least once.
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2005 08:44 pm
Both..interesting, or as I like to say, GOOD STUFF.

I like McCain too. He wouldn't have to be trained to be president. I just want a leader for the country, not the party.

American's role in the world is in rapid transition. The actions of the administration has contributed to our increasing isolation from the world community.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2005 05:46 am
I am agnostic on McCain.

I would not rule him out. I respect his integrity and his pragmatic positions-- especially on immigration.

I have concerns about foreign policy especially if we are still in Iraq in two year (I can hope we might get out by then, can't I?). I would have to hear the foreign policy platform he ran on.
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2005 10:59 pm
ebrown, what policies would be required by the next President; assuming of course, he/she has the back ground to lead?

My wife is a conservative Alabama/Georgia lady who gets angry when individuals attack George Bush. What support can one expect for Senator Clinton?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2005 08:19 am
If McCain were truly a man I could vote for, he would quit the Republican party. As it is, he is part and parcel of the debacle this country finds itself in.
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2005 09:12 am
Have you been watching the poll on this page? Of course, the numbers are not significant, but look at the bottom two from other groups? Hmmmmm...
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2005 09:39 am
other groups-no
would be me I assume
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2005 09:43 am
Depends on how many times you voted.............
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2005 09:44 am
I always vote early and often.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2005 10:18 am
Mapleleaf
Mapleleaf, you cannot separate the candidates from their parties. Look at all the appointments that are made based on party loyalty. I cannot respect politicians who put their party interests above that of the nation.

I respect John NcCain for some parts of his character, but fault him for his failure to resign from his party when it's corruption became public knowledge. He is an example of a politician who put his party before his country in his old age.

I feel the same way about Colin Powell. I Had lots of respect for him, but lost it when he didn't resign as Secretary of State when he knew of their corruption. Again, party loyalty above country, unforgivable by a soldier.

BTW, I feel the same way about Democrats or other politicans who behave in the same manner. That's why I've always admire Ralph Nader because he never sacrificed his integrity. Dennis Kucinich also has the quality, but because he's somewhat naive I don't think he would make a good president.

BBB
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2005 10:04 pm
BBB,
I suspect Powell was being the good military man; still, I can see why you were disappointed. I still like Powell.
0 Replies