Dignity and sanctity of marriage - a modest proposal

DrewDad

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 08:36 am
So I've heard a lot recently about how allowing gay marriage will destroy the dignity and/or sanctity of marriage, but I just don't get it. How does a marriage by Bob and Bill affect my marriage in any way? And don't people like Donald Trump, Pamela Anderson, Dennis Rodman, and Jennifer Lopez do more to damage the sanctity, and especially the dignity, of marriage?

If we want to "protect" marriage, then let's do this: everyone gets one, and only one, bite at the apple. If you decide to get married, and screw it up by choosing the wrong partner or having an affair, then that's it. No one who has a divorce allowed to get married again. Wouldn't that protect the dignity of marriage?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,578 • Replies: 41
No top replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 08:41 am
Here here! No more Drive Thru Divorces!!!

You pick an apple with a worm in it, you gotta eat it or starve.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 08:57 am
DrewDad wrote:
If you decide to get married, and screw it up by choosing the wrong partner or having an affair, then that's it. No one who has a divorce allowed to get married again. Wouldn't that protect the dignity of marriage?

I really would like to think that you posted your thread "tongue in cheek". People DO make mistakes. And it is really none of the government's business.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 09:01 am
Sure, and we can have the same rules about abortion. After the fist, no more chances!
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 09:09 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
DrewDad wrote:
If you decide to get married, and screw it up by choosing the wrong partner or having an affair, then that's it. No one who has a divorce allowed to get married again. Wouldn't that protect the dignity of marriage?

I really would like to think that you posted your thread "tongue in cheek". People DO make mistakes. And it is really none of the government's business.

I do too...but it has some truth to it. I mean, 5 and 6 marriages? I think that it's way too easy to get married and divorced in this country. And you're right Phoenix...it isn't any of the gov't business which is why gay marriage should be legal and recognized.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 09:12 am
woiyo wrote:
Sure, and we can have the same rules about abortion. After the fist, no more chances!

Hmmm, woiyo is pro-abortion. Who knew?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 02:24 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
DrewDad wrote:

Let 'em have civil unions. Marriage is forever.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 02:33 pm
Bella Dea wrote:
I mean, 5 and 6 marriages?

he he he.....

I happen to be wife #5......but, he did marry one of them twice.

the wolverines father said....that boy just likes wedding cake!

you know, it's hard to keep getting married when you insist on hitting all the holidays....

he's done:

new years day (me)
halloween
st patricks day
christmas eve
groundhogs day.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 02:35 pm
Chai Tea wrote:

he he he.....

Embarrassed
0 Replies

Steppenwolf

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 02:38 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
DrewDad wrote:

...And it is really none of the government's business...

'Tis an overstatement. Marriage, as we know it, is defined not only as a relationship between two people but a relationship between people and the government.

We might benefit from getting the government totally out of the business of marriages -- thereby nixing marriage licenses, tax benefits, marriage law, etc. -- but that isn't the status quo (far from it). Whether we like it or not, marriage has been the government's business for the entirety of U.S. history.

Drewdads proposal is extremely harsh, but perhaps no harsher than many existing legal limitations on marriage. Of course, one can also find fault with other limitations.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 02:44 pm
Bella Dea wrote:
Chai Tea wrote:

he he he.....

Embarrassed

oh don't feel bad, when I think about it, it's just so ridiculous. I mean, FIVE!!!! God, what WRONG with him? or ME! Shocked

funny, only 1 of them was for less than 6 years, and I've been around 12.

I actually had to catch him between wives. Laughing
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 02:52 pm
Quote:
I do too...but it has some truth to it. I mean, 5 and 6 marriages?

Hey, it is not illegal to be stupid, and make bad choices.

DrewDad wrote:
Let 'em have civil unions. Marriage is forever.

Steppenwolf wrote:
We might benefit from getting the government totally out of the business of marriages -- thereby nixing marriage licenses, tax benefits, marriage law, etc. -- but that isn't the status quo (far from it). Whether we like it or not, marriage has been the government's business for the entirety of U.S. history.

You guys stole my idea. Sad Months ago, I wrote that the government should create civil union contracts between two people, and get out of the marriage business altogther. Then, if the couple wants their union blessed in a house of worship, they can then get "married".
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 02:56 pm
It is not true that marriage has been the government's business for the entirety of U.S. History. It was only with the abolition of established churches in the several states (and not all of them had established churches) that the notion of regulating marriage by statute arose. As has been the case for a very long time, before the European colonization of America, in fact, marriage is above all a contract for assuring rights in property. All that would be necessary to eliminate marriage would be to assure that rights in property, and the rights of children produced by a union, or adopted by a couple, be assured.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 02:58 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Quote:
I do too...but it has some truth to it. I mean, 5 and 6 marriages?

Hey, it is not illegal to be stupid, and make bad choices.

Well, it should be. :wink:
0 Replies

Steppenwolf

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 03:06 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Quote:

Steppenwolf wrote:

You guys stole my idea. Sad Months ago, I wrote that the government should create civil union contracts between two people, and get out of the marriage business altogther. Then, if the couple wants their union blessed in a house of worship, they can then get "married".

Ah, but that wouldn't really be getting out of the marriage business altogether. It would merely be substituting one word for a longer phrase ("marriage" for "civil union contract"), and one set of state granted rights for another set. After all, government is in the business of interpreting and enforcing contracts, no? I realize this isn't what people normally associate with "government action," but the judiciary is plainly part of the government, and legislatures would presumably enable these civil unions via statute, as many courts would likely not enforce them under common law. When you create a contract, you are effectively inviting government intervention. The "private sphere" is really rather small when you get down to it. In truth, the concept is practically a non sequitur.

But I realize that I'm getting my panties all up in a knot on a rather small point... Laughing
0 Replies

Steppenwolf

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 03:13 pm
Setanta wrote:
It is not true that marriage has been the government's business for the entirety of U.S. History. It was only with the abolition of established churches in the several states (and not all of them had established churches) that the notion of regulating marriage by statute arose. As has been the case for a very long time, before the European colonization of America, in fact, marriage is above all a contract for assuring rights in property...

True and not true. It's true that it hasn't always been statutory, but since when are common law courts not part of the government? And where will you enforce your marriage contract? As I argued above, creating a contract is asking the government to intervene. And it needn't intervene if it doesn't wish to do so. Marriage is part of the legal engine of the state, whether by statute or common law, and "marriage law/family law" has never been a complete subset of contracts law anyway.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 03:18 pm
You are conflating the authority of canon courts with that of civil courts. Civil courts (and therefore the common law) only became concerned with the regulation of marriage when the abolition of established churches resulted in the perceived need for statutory control. William Blackstone, the great English jurist and commentator on the common law, stated that: "Law is the embodiment of the moral sentiment of the people." Nevertheless, his comment on marriage is simply a reference to the canon courts of the established, Episcopal church in England. It is only with the abolition of established churches in Europe and North America that statutory, secular control of marriage arises. The first secular regulation of marriage only appears in Europe with the promulgation of the Civil Code by Napoleon.
0 Replies

Steppenwolf

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 03:56 pm
Setanta wrote:
You are conflating the authority of canon courts with that of civil courts. Civil courts (and therefore the common law) only became concerned with the regulation of marriage when the abolition of established churches resulted in the perceived need for statutory control. William Blackstone, the great English jurist and commentator on the common law, stated that: "Law is the embodiment of the moral sentiment of the people." Nevertheless, his comment on marriage is simply a reference to the canon courts of the established, Episcopal church in England. It is only with the abolition of established churches in Europe and North America that statutory, secular control of marriage arises. The first secular regulation of marriage only appears in Europe with the promulgation of the Civil Code by Napoleon.

I'm fairly certain that you're mistaken here. I'm not talking about either canon law or civil law (napoleonic), but common law. Marriage law in the U.S. -- at least post revolutionary law -- has historically been a matter of common law/state law. Ecclesiastical courts may have had authority in England and the commonwealth beyond 1776 (I honestly don't know about that), but certainly not in the U.S, where they only have the authority to discipline their own clergy. Here, the regulation of marriage is and always has been the prerogative of the state and the common law.

In addition to common law, state statutory regulation dates back at least to 1706 -- way before the revolution -- when several states prohibited interracial marriage. See, e.g., Paul Finkelman, The Crime of Color, 67 TUL. L. REV. 2063, 2064 (1993). Furthermore, federal statutory law on the subject dates back at least to the mid-19th century, including laws that tied citizenship to marriage.

Finally, Blackstone's vision of the law is a fun historical tidbit, but the law does not "embody" itself absent state action -- at least no modern scholar would conclude as much. So yes, marriage has absolutely been state regulated and enforced by the state since even before the founding of this country.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 04:10 pm
You're just confusing this issue for yourself. I mentioned Blackstone because he is the oracle on common law, and he wrote before the American Revolution. So my point was that the common law did not concern itself with marriage because that was the purview of cannon courts--the courts of the established church. In Massachusetts and Connecticutt, the established church was the Congregational church. By extension, then, Maine, as a "province" of Massachusetts, had a Congregational establishment. Rhode Island purposefully had no established church. The established church of New York and New Jersey was nominally Dutch Reformed, but their authority fell into desuetude with the inrush of English-speaking settlers. The established church of Delaware was the Lutheran church (formerly a Swedish colony, and therefore Lutheran, it was conquered by the Dutch, who in turn fell to the English). There was no established church in Pennsylvania. The established church in Maryland, although a Catholic refuge, was nominally the Episcopal church. The Episcopal church was the nominal established church in Virginia, but as new settlers, many former convicts, flooded the western counties, the authority of the church eroded until finally, before the Stamp Act crisis, Patrick Henry defended a parish against a suit by an Anglican minister, and lost--but the jury awarded damages of one penny, so Henry was considered to have won nonetheless, and the power of the religious establishment was broken in Virginia. In the Carolinas and Georgia, the Episcopal church was the nominal establishment. From New York south to Georgia, the western wilderness filled up with Scots-Irish Presbyterians, French Huguenots and German charismatics (Moravians, Silesians, and Mennonites as well as German Reformed). These people paid no heed to religious establishment. And that is the point, as well as the point about the Civil Code in France after 1804. No one gave a thought to civil law with regard to marriage until the established churchs with their canon law authority were disestablished--there was no need for civil law on a subject regulated by canon courts.

Try to keep up, will ya? State statutory control of marriage is a recent phenomenon.
0 Replies

Steppenwolf

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 04:38 pm
Setanta wrote:
You're just confusing this issue for yourself. I mentioned Blackstone because he is the oracle on common law, and he wrote before the American Revolution. So my point was that the common law did not concern itself with marriage because that was the purview of cannon courts--the courts of the established church. In Massachusetts and Connecticutt, the established church was the Congregational church. By extension, then, Maine, as a "province" of Massachusetts, had a Congregational establishment. Rhode Island purposefully had no established church. The established church of New York and New Jersey was nominally Dutch Reformed, but their authority fell into desuetude with the inrush of English-speaking settlers. The established church of Delaware was the Lutheran church (formerly a Swedish colony, and therefore Lutheran, it was conquered by the Dutch, who in turn fell to the English). There was no established church in Pennsylvania. The established church in Maryland, although a Catholic refuge, was nominally the Episcopal church. The Episcopal church was the nominal established church in Virginia, but as new settlers, many former convicts, flooded the western counties, the authority of the church eroded until finally, before the Stamp Act crisis, Patrick Henry defended a parish against a suit by an Anglican minister, and lost--but the jury awarded damages of one penny, so Henry was considered to have won nonetheless, and the power of the religious establishment was broken in Virginia. In the Carolinas and Georgia, the Episcopal church was the nominal establishment. From New York south to Georgia, the western wilderness filled up with Scots-Irish Presbyterians, French Huguenots and German charismatics (Moravians, Silesians, and Mennonites as well as German Reformed). These people paid no heed to religious establishment. And that is the point, as well as the point about the Civil Code in France after 1804. No one gave a thought to civil law with regard to marriage until the established churchs with their canon law authority were disestablished--there was no need for civil law on a subject regulated by canon courts.

Try to keep up, will ya? State statutory control of marriage is a recent phenomenon.

1706 is a recent phenomenon when talking about U.S. law Question Let me draw your attention to my initial statement, which you contested.

Quote:
Whether we like it or not, marriage has been the government's business for the entirety of U.S. history.

The U.S. was founded in 1776 (dated by the declaration of independence) or 1789, and I've cited state statutory regulations to you from 1706. Which came first, 1706 or 1776? It's that simple. Surely you're just being facetious in asserting that marriage has not been state regulated for the entirety of U.S. history. Everything else you've said is irrelevant. The French Civil code, canon courts (which were never part of the U.S. judiciary after the constitution), the religious roots of various states, Blackstone -- none of this means a whit in our current debate. It's history, surely, but pre-U.S.

Unless you can show that 1706 is after 1789, you should concede.
0 Replies