SPONSOR THIS, EH?

Setanta

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 05:57 pm
OK, so the official cat is out of the official bag, Chretien is the bad boy, Martin was innocently tripping through the daisies somewhere else, and now the Tories (whatever the hell they call themselves these days) are demanding an immediate election. (Hey Tories, why don't you demand in one hand and, uh, spit in the other, and see which one fills up first?) Just heard the song and dance from Chretien's lawyer on CBC, how it ain't his fault, and he'll clear his name. Gagliano was on earlier denying that his political career is at an end, all he needs to do is explain things to the Quebec voters . . .

Jack Layton has the hammer hand in this one. So Canajuns, whaddaya think? Will the NDP force an early election?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 747 • Replies: 19
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 07:04 pm
Chretien's past his sell-by date.

Martin, hmmmm, I change my mind from week to week whether I admire or despise him.

I can't tolerate Harper. If they put McKay in charge, I'd look at the Conservatives.

Don't much care for Jack Layton, no matter how photogenic he is (and he is, he is), but I like the NDP rep in my riding.

What to do?

Vote Rhino if they run a slate again?
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 07:07 pm
ditto ! hbg
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 07:11 pm
what is RHINO? a nose party? An acronym?.

How About Ron Joyce, them donuts just make themselves, so he couldnt do much worse than anyone else we dont like
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 07:17 pm
Oy!

I just discovered I post about the Rhino party on an almost annual basis <Dec 14, 02 and then twice on Dec 20, 03>

Well, I guess I was due again.

From my favourite forum h2g2 link

Quote:
... candidate, Michel Rivard, summed up the party's platform quite clearly during free air time:

I have but two things to say to you: 'Celery' and 'sidewalk.' Thank you, good night.

Perhaps their most well-known platform was the promise to break every promise they made, which they claim has been copied and put into execution by the mainstream parties. They also promised that, if elected, they would immediately demand a recount.

Quote:
The End of the Majestic Rhino

It is unlikely that we shall see the Rhinoceros Party of Canada return anytime soon. They were truly brilliant comedians, and, like most comedians, have no money at all, which prevents them from doing much of anything.

However, the spirit of the Rhino lives on, in every Canadian who is ever at one time or another sick of the way politics is being done, which is probably mostly everyone.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 07:32 pm
they ever in danger of getting elected?
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 07:38 pm
not really much of a chance of getting elected ... but ...

"However, the spirit of the Rhino lives on, in every Canadian who is ever at one time or another sick of the way politics is being done, which is probably mostly everyone"

yep, that pretty well sums it up . i guess many canadians wish that the rhino party would have achance of making it, but canadians are "conservative" in mind and body (but not necessarily politically). hbg
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 07:44 pm
I think it was in New MExico where they elected a mule for the legislature. And, if we recall, Paul Ashcroft lost to a Dead Guy in his gubernatorial race.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 07:46 pm
We got DeLay here in Texas.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 08:04 pm
Harper said this evening that everytime they try to form a three-party coalition, Layton and the NDP "chicken out." Oh yeah, that's the way to foster coalition harmony. Duceppe says the Bloc is ready for another election any time. Well, duh . . . Bloc seats have got to be the safest seats in Parliament. That means nothing right now, though. NDP make or break any coalition which attempts to form.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 08:05 pm
see, there is something that unites the canadians with their american brothers and sisters ... we all just love our politicians ! hbg
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 08:06 pm
Just one big happy family, Boss . . .
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 08:10 pm
...and aren't you just unbelievably happy that we'll let you entertain chuck and camilla ?

i understand they'll be mingling with just regular folks at the white house ... my cup runneth over !
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 03:03 pm
Gagliano, although banned from the Liberal Party, says he will run again as an independent. CBC interviewed people in his riding, and many said he should just give it up. Others, though, said it wouldn't bother them if he ran again, although they didn't say they'd necessarily vote for him.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2005 02:18 pm
Just listened to Jack Layton's remarks about the Liberal health care offer. He stated that were the letter sent to the NDP a bill in the House, the NDP could not support. He stated that the New Democrats cannot express confidence in the government.

So, Canajuns, whaddaya think? Are ya gonna have a holiday election campaign?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2005 02:25 pm
Better not.
I won't have anyone to vote for.
I'm mad at them all now.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2005 02:28 pm
You don't love Jack Layton no more, huh?
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2005 02:29 pm
heck, we've muddled through before, we'll do it again. long live ... whatever ! hbg
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2005 07:26 pm
I heard this on my radio last night but it was irritating because there was no detail. They didn't mention Jack Layton by name but gave a sort of bloodless story about the "NDP leader" refusing to express his confidence in the Liberals. From that I assumed that Martin is right in it. My immediate thought was is Layton trying to hand government to Harper?

But then I do come up with wild-eyed ideas at times.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2005 07:33 pm
Setanta wrote:
You don't love Jack Layton no more, huh?

He's a lovely fella, and rides his bicycle well, but I called the local NDP/Liberal and PC offices in the summer and told 'em that whoever was responsible for an early election call would NOT be getting my vote. Since I hold them all partly to blame for wasting my money - pffffffffffffft to them all.
0 Replies