Who is Responsible for this Cat's Death and What Do I Do?

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2005 08:38 pm
I really need some helpful advice. I am so upset over this I just can't think straight perhaps you can help me.

I run a homeless cat shelter. Recently, I had about two tons (literally) of dog food donated to me. I called my vets office and found plenty of people to distribute it to.

Three people from my vet's office came last Friday to pick up the dog food. I had a cat that I was a bit worried about. He would not gain weight and had diarrhea all the time. I was afraid he had some kind of disease or something. He was rescued from a dumpster and was obviously a very inbred cat. When the cat left here, he was just the way he had always been. He was fine except for his diarrhea. He ate just fine, was active, etc.

The vet's office called me the next day and told me that he just needed to be on a no fat diet because he could not digest fat. He also had a tapeworm (from eating a live flea) and was given medication for that. I told them I could not pick the cat up until this morning, as I didn't have transportation.

I went this morning to pick up the cat. I had to drop my husband off at work so I was in town around 7 a.m. I was told the cat was at the secretary's (of the vet) home. I went to her home to pick up Crier. When I got there Crier was in a cat carrier on her porch. It has been cold here all weekend. He had been in that carrier on the porch all weekend. He was wet and filthy! He was so weak. When he heard my voice he shakily got himself up and came out to me. I asked her what happened to him. She said, I don't know. He just got this way yesterday. My phone has been messed up for days and she couldn't call me.

I brought Crier home, gave him a warm bath, and tried to get some kitten baby formula down him, as he was not strong enough to eat. I put him wrapped dry and on a heating pad. I laid down with him for a couple of hours talking to him and he responded to me. My heart broke as he cried in such a weak sad voice. He died two hours later.

I am so angry. He was fine when he left here Friday. I feel like the secretary caused his death by putting him in that carrier and leaving him cold, wet, and filthy on her porch. I felt comfortable with Crier being at her house because she has dogs, cats, and two chinchillas. They are all healthy and happy animals.

She was outside waiting for her ride to work when I got there this morning, so she obviously was just going to leave Crier there in his own wet filth while she went to work at the vet's office!

What do I do? She and I had become friends but I feel so betrayed. That little cat suffered all weekend probably thinking I abandoned him.

My vet has been the most compassionate and caring man. He lets me run up a bill because he knows I will pay it when I can. I trust him explicitly. But, now, I am afraid. I don't know if I feel safe with that woman there. Perhaps I am overreacting. I just don't know.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,494 • Replies: 82
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2005 09:08 pm
I don't think you are over reacting. The woman obviously didn't try very hard to help the cat. What to do about it? I don't know, except I would never put this woman in a position of trust again.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2005 09:10 pm
Edgar,

Thanx for the reply. So, do I not trust the vet because of her actions? That's where I really am stumped.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2005 09:10 pm
Well, it might have died anyway. That diarrhea can be a killer even if it's not a symptom of something else. Of course, a weekend outside in a carrier is unconscionable, and I don't care what the weather was like.

Need a little help with those back vet bills?

Oh, and dog food isn't really good for cats. The ash content, but you probably already know that.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2005 09:12 pm
We're all cross posting here, but the vet may be just fine - just ignorant of his secretary's sense of responsibility.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2005 09:12 pm
I would take the vet into confidence, but try to do so in a way that lets the woman keep her job. That way, he will give you the consideration you deserve.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2005 09:15 pm
roger wrote:
Well, it might have died anyway. That diarrhea can be a killer even if it's not a symptom of something else. Of course, a weekend outside in a carrier is unconscionable, and I don't care what the weather was like.

Need a little help with those back vet bills?

Oh, and dog food isn't really good for cats. The ash content, but you probably already know that.

roger,

I never feed the cats dogfood. The National Animal Rescue that was here for the Katrina and Rita animals left and all the cat food and dog food was distributed to local shelters. They gave me the dog food to pass out to those that need it.

Help with the back vet bills? Lord yes! But, I don't believe this was in issue with this cat.

This cat has had diarrhea off and on for three years. He had been to the vet many, many times for it. So, his health was not in that kind of danger, at least I don't believe it was. The vet said he would be fine when I talked to them Saturday morning.

Edgar,

Excellent advice. Thank you. I don't want her to lose her job. That was definitely a concern for me.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2005 09:25 pm
Aw, momma angel, this is such a sad story. I dunno where the blame lays, why the kitten died, or even whether finding out who's to blame will help in any way. I do know that diarrhea can be a fatal problem. If the vet suggested the cat needed a non-fat diet, he may have suspected one or more serious diseases which could have killed the cat too.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2005 09:36 pm
momma angel, I can imagine how terrible you must feel about this unfortunate incident. I would be furious at finding any animal of mine in the condition that you found your kitten. It doesn't matter whether he might have died anyway ... you EXPECT animals to be treated properly when you leave them with the vet. I would definitely inform the vet of what happened. It was neglect, pure & simple. And it might ensure that much more care is taken with the other animals that are left there in the future. I would also tell your friend, the secretary, exactly what you think about the quality of care this kitten received.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2005 10:08 pm
I'm with msolga. There is no excuse to leave a cat outside
in the cold in a carrier for an entire weekend without food
or any other care. I also would talk to the vet and make
sure that the secretary won't be allowed to take any animals
home again.

If it were my pet, I would raise hell.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2005 10:11 pm
Do we know for sure that the woman left the cat in it's carrier outside all weekend?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2005 10:15 pm
I don't think so, k. But it was not properly looked after & that's what's important. You expect a sick animal to be comfortable & clean, not neglected when left. Grrrrrr
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2005 10:16 pm
True true....
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2005 10:20 pm
You should definitely speak to the vet about your concerns. Does the secretary regularly take animals home? Why wasn't the cat at the vet's office? Does the vet know that little Crier has died? You obviously have many dealings with this vet given the work that you do with the strays etc. It is only fair to you and to him to discuss the situation in an open and frank manner.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2005 10:39 pm
First of all, thank all of you for your replies. I really do appreciate it.

Yes, the cat was in the carrier all weekend outside on her porch, which is part of why I am so livid. She told tme the cat got sick yesterday so my question is "Why didn't she bring it in the house?" Another question is "Why weren't you taking him to work with you this morning?" "Were you just going to leave him there all wet, cold, and filthy?"

I am definitely going to talk to my vet tomorrow. I spend most of my time rescuing cats from dumpsters and people that neglect them. Now, I have to be concerned about the cats I take to that vet's office because his office staff helps take care of them. Or do they?

When they came here last week to get the dog food, a kitten I had at the vet's for about a month due to illness freaked. He wouldn't go near them. He ran from them and was upset the whole time they were here. Maybe he was telling me something.

I just know that I am so angry I can barely stand it. She left him in that wet, cold, filthy carrier to die! What kind of person does this? I am so depressed about this. I don't know what else to say.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2005 10:55 pm
Oh, momma angel, it's even worse than I thought. Shame on that woman!
Big hugs to you. I feel really terrible for you, though none of this was your fault at all. You trusted your vet.

Something rather similar happened to me, years & years ago. A female vet (with an extraordinarily fantastic reputation at being "good" with cats) was looking after my ailing/dying tabby. I arrived at her premises without prior warning & discovered that my poor, darling cat had not had it's water changed, cage cleaned & had no fresh food (just smelly old stuff!) & was meowing loudly in its cage. I did what I had to do for my cat & never went back there again. I certainly didn't enhance her wonderful reputation with other cat owners that I knew! Evil or Very Mad All you can do is learn from experience, I'm afraid. Sad The same thing will never happen to you again, I'm certain! Bottom line: A vet practise is a business. If the "service" is bad, you take your "business" (their profit) elsewhere!
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2005 10:59 pm
msolga wrote:
Oh, momma angel, it's even worse than I thought. Shame on that woman!
Big hugs to you. I feel really terrible for you, though none of this was your fault at all. You trusted your vet.

Something rather similar happened to me, years & years ago. A female vet (with an extraordinarily fantastic reputation at being "good" with cats) was looking after my ailing/dying tabby. I arrived at her premises without prior warning & discovered that my poor, darling cat had not had it's water changed, cage cleaned & had no fresh food (just smelly old stuff!) & was meowing loudly in its cage. I did what I had to do for my cat & never went back there again. I certainly didn't enhance her wonderful reputation with other cat owners that I knew! Evil or Very Mad All you can do is learn from experience, I'm afraid. Sad The same thing will never happen to you again, I'm certain! Bottom line: A vet practise is a business. If the "service" is bad, you take your "business" (their profit) elsewhere!

Thank you. I will hate to lose this vet because he is by far the best I have ever worked with. He treats my cats like they are my children, which they are. But, if any of them are ever left in her care, well, I just can't accept that at all. No, this definitely will never happen again.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2005 11:07 pm
OK, then, Mama A, then keep the vet if he's really good. Just make it absolutely clear that you're appalled & distressed by what happened with your kitten. Ask him what steps s/he will take to ensure that such neglect will never occur again. S/he must take responsibility for after hours care of sick animals. Most likely s/he will be just as appalled as you are. Sad
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2005 11:09 pm
msolga wrote:
OK, then, Mama A, then keep the vet if he's really good. Just make it absolutely clear that you're appalled & distressed by what happened with your kitten. Ask him what steps s/he will take to ensure that such neglect will never occur again. S/he must take responsibility for after hours care of sick animals. Most likely s/he will be just as appalled as you are. Sad

I haven't decided whether or not yet to keep him. I guess it is all going to depend on what he has to say tomorrow when I call him. It's not that I want to get the woman in trouble, but I definitely want to stop this from ever happening again.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2005 11:14 pm
Oh, I know you're not being malicious. It is to do with the care your animals receive. You have to feel confident in the future that anything like this never happens again. (maybe he needs to make more suitable after hours care arrangements?) It's just a shame that the "carer" is a friend of yours. <sigh>
0 Replies