Who is Responsible for this Cat's Death and What Do I Do?

msolga

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 12:55 am
I really think the problem ultimately lands in the lap of your your vet. He allowed his secretary to "take care" of Crier for the weekend. Surely she could not have done this without his knowledge & consent? What does he actually know of the quality of care she provides at home, or when he's not there? Does she have any real qualifications to do this? What does he know of her decision to take your cat home because of the likely "mess"? How available was he over the weekend for advice? Why did he not ring his secretary to see how Crier was progressing? - wherever the secretary was? (Crier was a very sick cat, right?) The vet, ultimately, has to take responsibility for all of this. Where was he over the weekend? Surely he knew his secretary is not an expert on cat ailments & treatment? Very, very sloppy! Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 01:09 am
msolga,

Actually, Crier was not a very sick cat. He has never been a hearty cat but he has never even had a cold while in my care. He did have a problem with diarrhea off and on and this is why he was at the vet's. I was afraid he did have some other kind of worm that the regular worming medicine didn't take care of. But, no, he was in no danger whatsoever of dying because of it. At least, that is what I believe right now. Once I talk to my vet tomorrow I will know more.

I do not know why she took him home. The vet's wife said Betty had said something about not wanting to leave him at the clinic because he would make a mess. But, they have people they pay to clean up after the animals.

I am very perplexed because I don't know all the facts yet. I only know Crier should not have died when going to the vet just for a worm test. He never should have been in the condition I found him. Even when he became sick, he should have been kept warm and dry and abandoned to a porch in the cold.

I will let everyone know what the vet says tomorrow. Right now, I hold Betty responsible because she did nothing to alleviate Crier's distress. And to me, that is unconscienceable.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 01:30 am
I really feel for you (believe me!) Momma A, but, ultimately the care of all animals going through that vet's clinic is the vet's responsibility. Don't beat yourself up too much over this, please! The fault is not with you (You trusted the vet's care. That's what you pay for & have the right to expect.) but the type of care that Crier actually received was definitely not up to scratch. You could have had no way of knowing this in advance.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 03:12 am
I'll tell you what you do Mamma. Your story brought a tear to my eye.

You go ask that chick " HEY!!! What kind of a f**ken b*tch Leaves kittens out suffering".

SAVE THE KITTENS!!!

I'm not kidding Mamma. What a b**ch.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 10:00 am
Well, SHE (the vet's secretary) just called me! She said she wanted to apologize to me for what happened.

I told her why I was so upset and I wanted to know why Crier was outside and why she didn't call the vet and why she wasn't taking him to the vet that morning.

She said she brought Crier to her house to try to save my shelter some money. She said she was going to have someone come back and get Crier that morning. (?!) That made no sense to me whatsoever! She was on her way to work and she was being picked up in a pickup truck so there was room!

She never did answer why he was outside all weekend. She just kept apologizing.

Well, she knows Dr. Sanderlin tried to call me this morning, but I was outside feeding the cats so I hadn't talked to him yet. He is supposed to be calling me back here shortly.

Right now, I'm not buying her story. Not at all! I saw the look on her face when I pulled up into her driveway Monday. I even asked her what kind of look was that?! Yeah, now I know, it was an oh no, when she sees that cat she's going to freak! kind of look.

There, vented before the vet calls. I have to stay rational and be able to discuss this calmly with him. Will let you all know what he says.

Thanx again for all the wonderful words of encouragement and your understanding.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 10:36 am
I think you're handling this remarkably well, Momma Angel.

I'd bet $50 that Betty only called you because she knows she's in trouble with her boss. I wouldn't listen to a word she says.

Oh, and I know you want to be calm and rational when you talk to the vet, but honestly, if you're screaming mad it will probably get the message across more clearly. So don't worry. I'm sure he'll expect you to be emotional, and he probably deals with emotional clients all the time. Don't downplay your feelings about this. He needs to know exactly how upset you are.

IMO, this woman really shouldn't be caring for animals. It would be a good thing if she worked somewhere else...preferably in another town!

Big hugs to you. What a terrible thing to go through, both for you and Crier. I'm just so glad you found him and were able to comfort him before he died. What a good screen name you picked for yourself, Momma Angel.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 11:06 am
Eva,

How very kind of you. Actually, someone else gave me that moniker. It has to do with an organization I founded.

Yes, I am not buying what she said at all. Not for one second did Crier deserve to be on that porch cold and wet. I know someday I will have to forgive her, because I cannot hold anger in my heart. But, right now, I am finding it very difficult.

Crier used to come running into the house everytime that door opened and now, nothing. I can still see him doing it. He had the cutest little fast walk! I will have to dig up a picture and put it on here so everyone can see his sweet little face.

He was a cat filled with much love and he was much loved.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 02:45 pm
Well, I finally spoke with my vet. He was so understanding. He had no idea that she had even taken the cat home. The last he knew was she was going to call me and tell me I could come pick him up. But, my phone has been out. I have had the phone company out for the past two days and still all I have is internet. But, they are working on it.

Anyway, I expressed to him my questions and he answered them all. No, Crier was in no way in any kind of danger of being sick or becoming sick. He said even though he had a tapeworm and some diarrhea he was a rather strong and healthy cat. He did say he definitely felt Crier was the product of some heavy inbreeding. But, I knew that since he was born at a dumpster.

I told the vet the condition I found Crier in and why didn't she call the vet when he got sick? Why wasn't she bringing him to the office with her? He apologized to me and told me he just couldn't understand it and hoped I knew he would never treat one of my cats that way. I do know that. He treats them like they are my children.

So, he has let the woman go. He said he cannot have someone in his office that he cannot trust to give a helpless animal even the smallest of comforts when he is in distress. He was appalled at Crier's condition and the fact that she did not call him when he became sick. He offered to just let my entire vet bill go to zero. I told him no. That wouldn't be right.

I appreciate so much everyone offering me encouragement and advice. My cats are very important to me. I rescue them from some of the most horrid circumstances and do everything I can to make sure whatever life they have left is happy, safe, and healthy. I will continue to do this and I will do everything I can to see that this never ever happens again.

Once again, thank all of you so much. God Blessed me with each and every one of you!
0 Replies

KiwiChic

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 03:22 pm
oh MA Ive just caught up with your thread I cant believe I never saw it.....

My heartfelt condolences, that poor little mite left out in the cold all weekend, Im appalled and upset about it all, Im glad your vet has let that woman go...she knew very well why she kept Crier outside......there is nothing I can say to make you feel better, just that at least Crier was at home with his Mom in the end..... Sad
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 07:16 pm
Thanx KiwiChic,

I buried him in the little cemetary I have for the cats I have lost at the shelter. Of all those lost, his death was the most senseless and hardest to deal with.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 11:43 pm
Good. I'm glad she's gone.

I'm even happier to know that your vet is a good man.

Please do post that picture of Crier if you can find it. I would love to see his furry little face.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2005 12:33 am
Just one last, nagging thought. (Sorry, Momma A!) Frankly, I find it hard to believe that an employee of a vetinary clinic could take an animal home just like that! Without the vet's say so. That's quite extraordinary, really. I think your vet needs to tighten up a rather slack situation. It's all very well for him to be shocked & horrified after the event, but hey, it's pretty sloppy that this even happened at all! And given that the vet didn't know she'd taken the cat home, why was HE not doing some checking up on a very sick animal at his clinic over the weekend? Does he even go to his clinic on the weekend to check up on the sick animals there? If not, whose in charge during this period? You'd expect someone with appropriate qualifications, surely? I suspect the now sacked secretary was "in charge". Very, very sloppy! Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2005 11:09 am
msolga,

Well, that is one of the reasons he let her go. He had no idea she took the cat from the clinic.

And just to make this very clear, Crier WAS NOT SICK! (caps for emphasis only). He told me that cat was fine and that he would be fine. He felt he got pneumonia from being cold and wet on that carport all weekend. He was absolutely livid that anyone could do such a thing to an animal. The last the vet knew was Betty was going to call me and have me pick up the cat. But, my phone (still isn't working!) and she couldn't contact me. Whenever it happened before that I couldn't pick up a cat right away they kept it at the clinic with no problem. So, I assumed this was the case this time. So, I guess in this respect, part of the responsibility falls on me. If I had just been able to go get him Saturday, he would be ok.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2005 01:24 pm
Is it possible that Betty paid herself for Vet Boarding Care when she took an animal home?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2005 01:34 pm
Shocked

yet another good point..

Oh yeah.. ROCK on doctor!!
we are lovin this man. ;-)
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2005 03:05 pm
Hmmmm. That IS a good question. I will have to see what I can find out about that. It's a good thing my phone doesn't work otherwise she'd probably be calling me asking why I got her fired.
0 Replies

KiwiChic

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2005 03:24 pm
I would say she would know exactly why she got fired...you dont need to
justify a thing to that woman ...if anything she needs to justify her actions to YOU!
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2005 03:32 pm
Hi KiwiChic!

Yes, I totally agree. However, I am afraid I would be hard pressed to accept anything less than "I just didn't care about your cat." because I feel that is the truth of the situation.
0 Replies

KiwiChic

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2005 03:35 pm
hey MA
and you would be exactly right in that statement...because thats how it looks to a lot of people on here
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2005 04:05 pm
I know. I'm just having a hard time dealing with how anyone could treat any living creature like that. It just makes one think.
0 Replies