Who is Responsible for this Cat's Death and What Do I Do?

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2005 11:16 pm
msolga wrote:
Oh, I know you're not being malicious. It is to do with the care your animals receive. You have to feel confident in the future that anything like this never happens again. (maybe he needs to make more suitable after hours care arrangements?) It's just a shame that the "carer" is a friend of yours. <sigh>

Yes, and that's probably why this just has me so upset. So many factors.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2005 11:22 pm
Of course you're upset. I would be, too. You may have just lost a friend, Momma Angel. Sad
But I think I know what's of utmost importance to you. <sigh>
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2005 11:24 pm
msolga wrote:
Of course you're upset. I would be, too. You may have just lost a friend, Momma Angel. Sad
But I think I know what's of utmost importance to you. <sigh>

Yes, msolga, the cats are my main concern. They are left to what kindness we show them.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2005 11:28 pm
Yes. And sadly, there will be many, many more. Sad And your vet needs to ensure that after hours care is better than it is right now. Even if this means an increase in costs to his clients. This obviously is not a good arrangement.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2005 11:52 pm
I don't understand why the vet's SECRETARY took a sick cat home for the weekend.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2005 11:55 pm
Exactly, Debra. Confused
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2005 11:55 pm
Exactly. I had mentioned the same thing earlier in the thread.
Quote:
Does the secretary regularly take animals home? Why wasn't the cat at the vet's office? Does the vet know that little Crier has died?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 12:09 am
Could it be a cost cutting measure to avoid having someone on premises over the weekend? I don't know how I'd feel about that - it sort of depends on the care they were getting.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 12:18 am
Well, it's pretty obvious the type of care this particular kitten got, roger. <sigh>
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 12:32 am
I don't know why she took the cat to her house. I will ask the vet in the morning. I have lots of questions I am going to ask. I will let you all know what I find out.

Thanx again everyone.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 12:44 am
The secretary neglected your cat. She allowed your cat to sit in a wet, filthy, unsanitary cat carrier on her porch all weekend; she allowed the cat to become wet and filthy; she allowed the cat to become deadly ill and she didn't lift a finger to provide proper care (and she works in a vet's office and could have called her boss if she didn't know what to do--but what dummy doesn't know that you don't leave a cat in a cat carrier on a porch all weekend); she didn't do a darn thing to alleviate any of your cat's many hours of suffering. She's not a friend and she'll be very lucky if you don't press charges against her for cruelty to animals.

TITLE 14. CRIMINAL LAW
CHAPTER 1. CRIMINAL CODE
PART VI. OFFENSES AFFECTING THE PUBLIC GENERALLY
SUBPART B. OFFENSES AFFECTING THE PUBLIC SENSIBILITY

102. Definitions; cruelty to animals
The following words, phrases, and terms as used in R.S. 14:102.1 through R.S. 14:102.4 shall be defined and construed as follows:

(1) "Cruel" means every act or failure to act whereby unjustifiable physical pain or suffering is caused or permitted....

102.1. Cruelty to animals; simple and aggravated
A. (1) Any person who intentionally or with criminal negligence commits any of the following shall be guilty of simple cruelty to animals:
. . .
(i) Mistreats any living animal by any act or omission whereby unnecessary or unjustifiable physical pain, suffering, or death is caused to or permitted upon the animal.

http://tarlton.law.utexas.edu/dawson/cruelty/la_cruel.htm
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 10:49 am
Debra_Law,

Thank you so much for this! I am waiting to talk to my vet right now and I am going to bring this up to him. I couldn't sleep last night and I guess I am even angrier than I was before. You are right, she's not my friend. My friends would never treat my cats like this.

My husband wouldn't even dare to mistreat a cat. He knows what I would do to him or anyone I ever caught hurting an animal. I can't stand people hurting innocent things!
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 11:55 am
Update:

I called my vet at home because I didn't want his secretary to be anywhere near the phone when I talked to him. He was not there but his wife asked me, "Is this about the cat?" I said yes and I just want to know what happened and why. She said, "What do you mean?" She obviously had no idea. I explained the whole thing to her and she was absolutely livid! She wanted to know why the secretary had taken the cat home and then remembered the secretary had said something about taking the cat home because he would make too much of a mess at the clinic. The vet's wife said, "We pay people to keep the clinic clean. That is their job!" So, she was already a bit suspicious maybe? The vet was not at home at the time but she was going to explain everything. She said she was so sorry and I told her I don't hold Dr. Vet (don't know if I can use his name or not on this forum?) responsible. She told me, Don't worry. THIS WILL NEVER HAPPEN AGAIN! So, Betty will probably lose her job.

She is going to discuss this with her husband and they are going to also talk to Betty. He is supposed to call me back tomorrow at the latest. I do feel better knowing that even the vet's wife understands how important my cats are to me and what shameful neglect I feel this was.

Once again, thank all of you so very much for your advice. You all helped me to calm down enough to be rational and explain everything while talking to the vet's wife. God Bless You All for your help!http://web4.ehost-services.com/el2ton1/heart.gif
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 12:04 pm
oh holy cow.
That poor animal. I am sorry you had to go through that MA.
Without reading the rest of the thread.. I have questions.. ??

Is it proven that he was OUTSIDE the entire weekend?
Or, did she place him outside for.. i dunno.. maybe an hour ? In anticipation of you arriving? He had a BM and was just sicker then you thought?
Is it possible that the filth that was on him was recient? She could have, just to be helpful to you , put him on the porch for easy pick up for you, but since he was out of sight, not known he had pooped again and when you arrived, it appeared he had been there all weekend?

Did she ever SAY he was getting sicker over the weekend?

The way it sounds, he wasnt going to have a real long life. Kittens who get that sick dont tend to survive alot of the times. Im not saying this excuses her choice to have him on the porch.. but .. there is always the possibility he was just dying at that time . Unfortunatly it was in HER home and on HER property.

:-(
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 12:20 pm
shwolfnm,

No problem. I can answer the questions.

Actually, this was a four (or so) year old cat. I have had him at the shelter for over three years. Though he has never been hearty looking, he has never been sick. He didn't even catch the upper respiratory infection some of the others did. His only problem was on and off again diarrhea. This time, I was just having more trouble stopping it. When he left my home, he was in no worse condition than he ever had been.

Yes, Betty told me herself she kept him out on the porch because he was such a mess.

She told me he had gotten sick Sunday night and no, she didn't even call the vet. She was waiting for her ride when I got there. She had no idea I was even coming there. I hadn't been able to call her, nor she me, because my phone has been out of order. She was going to work (the vet's) and leaving him in the condition he was in.

The vet is going to call me by tomorrow. His wife was very angry and apologetic. Her husband is the most wonderful vet I have ever worked this. In my wildest imagination I could never have thought this could have happened. This not only hurt my cat, and myself, but it does not look good for his reputation either. But, I would never speak against him, as I know he had no idea what was going on.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 12:33 pm
Momma Angel wrote:

-Yes, Betty told me herself she kept him out on the porch because he was such a mess.

-She told me he had gotten sick Sunday night and no, she didn't even call the vet.

Shocked

that b***

yeah .. go after her will all your guns.
What if she does this to another persons animal? I mean, she just cost YOUR cat ( your shelter kitty.. ) his life.. and thought NOTHING of it.
wtf?

I can not belive people sometimes..
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 01:05 pm
shewolfnm wrote:
Momma Angel wrote:

-Yes, Betty told me herself she kept him out on the porch because he was such a mess.

-She told me he had gotten sick Sunday night and no, she didn't even call the vet.

Shocked

that b***

yeah .. go after her will all your guns.
What if she does this to another persons animal? I mean, she just cost YOUR cat ( your shelter kitty.. ) his life.. and thought NOTHING of it.
wtf?

I can not belive people sometimes..

shewolfnm,

You got that right! I felt comfortable with Crier being with her Friday night (she took him into the Vet saturday) because she has dogs, cats, and chinchillas. They are all healthy, happy, and well-taken care of. So, this whole situation just totally blows my mind. She knows how I am with my cats.

I resuce abused, abandoned and neglected cats that people throw away as trash. It is important to me that what life they have left is of the best quality. My cats are so spoiled here. They know they are loved.

I now know the part of this that is depressing me so much. Poor Crier, alone, wet and dirty in that cat carrier on some stranger's porch, WONDERING WHY? WHERE IS MY MOMMA? WHY DID SHE LEAVE ME?! It breaks my heart. He felt abandoned all over again. It is enough to slay the soul.
0 Replies

Tico

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 03:26 pm
(((Momma Angel)))

Crying or Very sad I'm appalled at what happened to Crier, and I'm glad that you're no longer calling this person a "friend". What type of person could do something like that to a helpless being, one that she is in the business of protecting? It's a betrayal of trust, yours and Crier's.

Speaking of business -- when talking with your vet remember that you are his client. You bring him more business than the average pet owner, and therefore your concerns are worthy of his consideration. His flexibility on payment is recognition of your business value to him. As well, you are in a unique position to influence other pet owners -- when I purchased my rescue cat, I asked for and took the advice of the rescue house owner on which vets in my neighbourhood are good. I recommend that you let your vet know that you are concerned, on a business level as well as a personal level, on the quality of care his business is offering.

But the bottom line is that any vet worth his/her salt can keep an ailing patient warm, dry, and comfortable. Anything less is unconscionable.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 12:12 am
Poor Momma and poor Crier. I am so, so sorry for you. Your description of bringing him home and talking with him for hours brought tears to my eyes. You shouldn't think too much of the time he spent on the porch alone though, the important thing is to remember that you got him home, kept him warm and happy and comforted for his last hours. I understand exactly how much pain you feel when you imagine him alone and cold and sad, because it makes my heart ache to think of although I didn't even know him. But you need to realize that as soon as you got him back, the only thing that kitty was thinking was, My Momma's back, I'm safe now. Animals are so pure and loving (that might sound foolish to some, but I know you understand what I mean), the pain of being alone was forgiven and forgotten as soon as he was back with you.

Thank you for taking care of those cats, it makes me so happy to know there are such loving people in the world.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 12:17 am
cyphercat,

Thank you so much for the kind words. I am still pretty devastated by this and will find out from my vet tomorrow what steps will be taken to ensure this never happens to anyone again.

And yes, Crier did know he was home with his momma. I could see the love in his eyes while I was talking to him.

Thank you, that means the world to me!
0 Replies