Bush Picks Judge Samuel Alito for Supreme Court

Steppenwolf

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 04:13 pm
Debra_Law wrote:
Steppenwolf wrote:
Debra_Law wrote:
Steppenwolf wrote:

Be careful what you wish for, Steppenwolf. The consequences could be dire for "our progeny" if Roe v. Wade was overturned because the blades of oppression swing both ways.

The primary purpose of the Constitution is to SECURE the blessings of liberty for ourselves and our progeny--for all the generations to come. It is possible that future generations will be faced with population control concerns. Would you want the government to have the power to force you to have an abortion to serve a legitimate state interest in population control?

Due process of law has a substantive component that protects individual liberty from arbitrary (unreasonable) government infringements or deprivations. As set forth in Supreme Court cases, "If the right of privacy means anything, it is the right of the individual, married or single, to be free from unwarranted governmental intrusion into matters so fundamentally affecting a person as the decision whether to bear or beget a child. . . .The Constitution protects individuals, men and women alike, from unjustified state interference. . . ."

If the Constitution is not interpreted to SECURE an individual's right to privacy, the state would not only have the power to prohibit abortions to serve the state interests, but it would also have the power to require abortions to serve the state interests. Be careful what you wish for and think long about the country you're handing down to your children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren. Their problems and issues will be different than ours, but a Constitution that secures liberty from oppressive laws must endure for all time.

Ah yes, I've argued with you at length about this before (A2K is too slow for me to find the thread). As you may or may not recall, I don't believe that Roe and its progeny fit well into the existing corpus of privacy jurisprudence -- excluding the Roe line itself, of course. Excising that line of cases could be achieved with minimal damage to other rights. Nor will I even concede that privacy as a whole should be enshrined in "due process" anyway, although I don't expect the wholesale abandonment of substantive DP any time soon.

Yes, I realize my opinions don't reflect "the law of the land" (existing precedent in Roe, Casey, etc.), as you're fond of saying (if my recollection serves me). I'm also fully aware that DP presently has a substantive component under existing caselaw, however oxymoronic that branch of con law might be. My opinion is based upon what I perceive the law should be, as a matter of textual interpretation and policy, not about what the law is as of the present date. After all, this will ultimately be the argument before the Court should the subject arise again -- and it will. They are free to overrule their own precedent, even if the Casey court convinced itself otherwise with half-hearted arguments about reliance, etc.

Finally, I'll take my chances with various slippery slopes on this one Smile.

At least we know where you stand. You are not interested in upholding a Constitution that secures individual liberty for ourselves and our progeny against unreasonable or arbitrary government intrusions into matters of individual autonomy and privacy. You are interested in obtaining the results you like. In order to accomplish what you desire, we must burn the Constitution and institute a "majority rules" policy and "minority and individual interests be damned" policy. So long as you and your progeny remain in the majority, all will be well in Steppenwolf world. Smile
Lochner or Dred Scott, but that's boundless "due process" for you.

No, I've never stated that majority rule should control constitutional interpretation. I simply think that "process" doesn't = "substance," and nothing in the text of the 14th amendment or its history suggests anything about abortion. So I'll keep the constitution, and I'll burn malformed precedent. And I won't hear any arguments about the inviolability of precedent. When Brown v. Board was handed down, and Plessy rejected, I don't recall any constitution burning. And that's only the most famous of the Court's numerous rejections of precedent.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 04:30 pm
If one attempts to unravel Mortkat's unintelligible posts to try to make them comprehensible, he could have been sarcastic when he stated that all jobs and positions must be allocated in accordance with the diversity of our population. He could be arguing that those individuals best suited for the job or position will inevitably find their way to the job or position notwithstanding any societal manipulation to the contrary.

Mortkat could be arguing that Roman Catholic judges are NOT geneticially superior to NON-Roman Catholic judges, but given their CULTURAL upbringing, Roman Catholic judges will occupy the high court in greater numbers than Non-Catholic judges in the same manner that Asians occupy academic slots at MIT in far greater numbers than African Americans.

Perhaps Mortkat is arguing that no amount of money spent educating NON-Roman Catholics nor any amount of affirmative action in placing NON-Roman Catholic judges on the bench will ever change the fact that Roman Catholics simply outclass everyone else and will inevitably sit on the Supreme Court.

Regardless of how we TRY to interpret Mortkat's succession of posts to TRY to make them intelligible; his posts are UNINTELLIGIBLE and we are left guessing with respect to whatever point he is trying to make. Instead of trying to unravel a litany of disconnected words that are largely incomprehensible and tend to have no apparent relevance to the topic, I would prefer for Mortkat to simply communicate in a comprehensible manner.
0 Replies

Steppenwolf

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 04:40 pm
Debra_Law wrote:
If one attempts to unravel Mortkat's unintelligible posts to try to make them comprehensible, he could have been sarcastic when he stated that all jobs and positions must be allocated in accordance with the diversity of our population. He could be arguing that those individuals best suited for the job or position will inevitably find their way to the job or position notwithstanding any societal manipulation to the contrary.

Mortkat could be arguing that Roman Catholic judges are NOT geneticially superior to NON-Roman Catholic judges, but given their CULTURAL upbringing, Roman Catholic judges will occupy the high court in greater numbers than Non-Catholic judges in the same manner that Asians occupy academic slots at MIT in far greater numbers than African Americans.

Perhaps Mortkat is arguing that no amount of money spent educating NON-Roman Catholics nor any amount of affirmative action in placing NON-Roman Catholic judges on the bench will ever change the fact that Roman Catholics simply outclass everyone else and will inevitably sit on the Supreme Court.

Regardless of how we TRY to interpret Mortkat's succession of posts to TRY to make them intelligible; his posts are UNINTELLIGIBLE and we are left guessing with respect to whatever point he is trying to make. Instead of trying to unravel a litany of disconnected words that are largely incomprehensible and tend to have no apparent relevance to the topic, I would prefer for Mortkat to simply communicate in a comprehensible manner.

Lol. I think we've finally found common ground, Debra. Smile
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 05:39 pm
Steppenwolf wrote:
Debra_Law wrote:
Steppenwolf wrote:
Debra_Law wrote:
Steppenwolf wrote:
I'm anti-Roe myself—I'd love to see it overturned.

Be careful what you wish for, Steppenwolf. The consequences could be dire for "our progeny" if Roe v. Wade was overturned because the blades of oppression swing both ways.

The primary purpose of the Constitution is to SECURE the blessings of liberty for ourselves and our progeny--for all the generations to come. It is possible that future generations will be faced with population control concerns. Would you want the government to have the power to force you to have an abortion to serve a legitimate state interest in population control?

Due process of law has a substantive component that protects individual liberty from arbitrary (unreasonable) government infringements or deprivations. As set forth in Supreme Court cases, "If the right of privacy means anything, it is the right of the individual, married or single, to be free from unwarranted governmental intrusion into matters so fundamentally affecting a person as the decision whether to bear or beget a child. . . .The Constitution protects individuals, men and women alike, from unjustified state interference. . . ."

If the Constitution is not interpreted to SECURE an individual's right to privacy, the state would not only have the power to prohibit abortions to serve the state interests, but it would also have the power to require abortions to serve the state interests. Be careful what you wish for and think long about the country you're handing down to your children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren. Their problems and issues will be different than ours, but a Constitution that secures liberty from oppressive laws must endure for all time.

Ah yes, I’ve argued with you at length about this before (A2K is too slow for me to find the thread). As you may or may not recall, I don’t believe that Roe and its progeny fit well into the existing corpus of privacy jurisprudence -- excluding the Roe line itself, of course. Excising that line of cases could be achieved with minimal damage to other rights. Nor will I even concede that privacy as a whole should be enshrined in “due process” anyway, although I don’t expect the wholesale abandonment of substantive DP any time soon.

Yes, I realize my opinions don't reflect "the law of the land" (existing precedent in Roe, Casey, etc.), as you’re fond of saying (if my recollection serves me). I'm also fully aware that DP presently has a substantive component under existing caselaw, however oxymoronic that branch of con law might be. My opinion is based upon what I perceive the law should be, as a matter of textual interpretation and policy, not about what the law is as of the present date. After all, this will ultimately be the argument before the Court should the subject arise again -- and it will. They are free to overrule their own precedent, even if the Casey court convinced itself otherwise with half-hearted arguments about reliance, etc.

Finally, I’ll take my chances with various slippery slopes on this one Smile.

At least we know where you stand. You are not interested in upholding a Constitution that secures individual liberty for ourselves and our progeny against unreasonable or arbitrary government intrusions into matters of individual autonomy and privacy. You are interested in obtaining the results you like. In order to accomplish what you desire, we must burn the Constitution and institute a "majority rules" policy and "minority and individual interests be damned" policy. So long as you and your progeny remain in the majority, all will be well in Steppenwolf world. Smile

Burn the constitution, eh? I merely suggest a meaningful definition of "due process"—one that doesn’t include whatever cause-de-jour favored by the Court. Now that the Court has shifted its ideological tilt, you may someday agree with me. It’s so easy to pack your favorite policy goals into “due process” (or any other vague clause), but what will you say when it’s packed with the policy goals of your opponents? I’m sure you weren’t a fan of either Lochner or Dred Scott, but that’s boundless “due process” for you.

No, I’ve never stated that majority rule should control constitutional interpretation. I simply think that "process" doesn't = "substance," and nothing in the text of the 14th amendment or its history suggests anything about abortion. So I'll keep the constitution, and I'll burn malformed precedent. And I won't hear any arguments about the inviolability of precedent. When Brown v. Board was handed down, and Plessy rejected, I don’t recall any constitution burning. And that’s only the most famous of the Court’s numerous rejections of precedent.

The Constitution doesn't have to specifically enumerate liberty interests that it protects because it protects ALL individual liberty interests--great and small (including a boy's right to wear his hat backwards at a county fair and a woman's right to reproductive self-determination)--against ALL arbitrary and unreasonable government intrusions upon individual liberty.

You refuse to acknowledge that the Constitution protects ALL liberty. You don't want to burn the Constitution and resort to majority rule (in theory), but you want the Constitution to be a piece of paper that you can manipulate to protect only those individual liberty interests that YOU think are important. You are result oriented.

The constitutional principle underlying Lockner is still valid today: The Constitution protects liberty against arbitrary government deprivations or infringements. The majority in Lockner simply misapplied the rational basis test with respect to economic legislation and that error was corrected. Although a state may have a legitimate interest in regulating the number of hours that a baker may work each week, no court has ever ruled that a state has a legitimate or compelling interest in banning bakery work altogether. Therefore your reliance on Lochner is without merit.

The Dred Scott case ruled that Negros were not citizens. The Fourteenth Amendment was ratified by the states and effectively overrules Dred Scott. Therefore your reliance on Dred Scott is without merit.

Brown v. Board of Education overruled Plessy v. Ferguson's "separate but equal" doctrine based on the equal protection clause. Thus, your reliance on Brown is without merit.

Whether you like it or not, the Constitution protects ALL liberty.
0 Replies

Steppenwolf

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 07:15 pm
Debra-

You're plainly misreading me - intentionally, I think. Plessy was simply an example of a famously overruled case. For that function, it's perfectly adequate, and you certainly don't need to recite its holding to me. Dred Scott was an example of due process gone awry. It was 5th amendment "due process," but that's adequate for my argument. Yes, it was overruled by the 14th amendment, and that's my point! It was plainly bad law, and everyone realizes it.

Placing Roe into due process is ridiculous. It was an extremely poorly reasoned decision, and it survived in Casey only by virtue of a ridiculous paean to stare decisisHere is our previous argument for a detailed account of my stance.
I feel like our current argument is a rerun.
0 Replies

twinpeaksnikki2

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 09:49 pm
Re: incomprehensible
Debra_Law wrote:
Mortkat wrote:
Steppenwolf- Thanks for letting me know that you are incapable and unwilling to face up to the argument.

The term "strawman" is one I am with which I am familiar. It is usually used by those who cannot respond to the argument.

Very well. Deal with this "strawman"

Despite massive outpourings of millions and millions of dollars in Federal Aid to schools whose children are classified as being impoverished; notwithstanding the frantic efforts to grant even marginally prepared students places in Universities through Affirmative Action and even though businesses all over the country are urged to hire more African-Americans, the Asian Minority outclasses African-Americans in almost every scholastic area.

That, of course, is a strawman!! Only for people who either can't or are afraid to try to explain it.

Mortkat:

You sure do spew a lot of nonsense and whatever point you are trying to argue cannot be discerned from anything you have written. What is your point?

Are you arguing that Asian-Americans are superior human beings and that African-Americans are inferior human beings and no amount of education will ever change that alleged fact? Are you telling us that you're a racist? Are you being funny? Are you being sarcastic? What point are you trying to make with respect to Joe's legitimate observation that the Supreme Court is comprised largely of a homogeneous group of men?

No one here can agree or disagree with your arguments when we have no idea what your arguments are. Unless you make an effort to communicate in a manner that allows us to understand your position, your posts will be ignored. Perhaps, in your own mind, you may think you have "won" because people "are incapable and unwilling to face up to the argument," but, in reality, you haven't communicated in a manner that allows anyone to know what you're saying with any amount of clarity. Your posts are unintelligible.

She took the words right out of my mouth.
0 Replies

Mortkat

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2005 03:26 am
Very well , Debra Law, I'll make it intelligible, Would you prefer first grade phraseology or shall I go higher?

Joe from Chicago made the point that 5/9th of the USSC would be Roman Catholic if he was appointed.

SO WHAT?

Is that intelligible enough for you?

I made the point, given "intelligibly" by Thomas Sowell that : quote---"The mere fact that different peoples and cultures have evolved in radically different geographical settings is alone enough to make similarity of skills virtually impossible"

Or to make it intelligible for you--We cannot have quotas --3 African Americans, 2 women, 1 Jew, 2 Roman Catholics.

Since you seem to be hung up on "intelligibility"( your posts are largely impentrable and are filled with questionable conclusions) I will quote from a newspaper which I believe, is written so sixth graders can understand it.

Chicago Sun Tinmes- Sunday- November 6-P. 30A

Headline-

ROLE OF ALITO'S CATHOLIC FAITH COULD BE TRICKY QUESTION

"...in a country with a tradition of separation between church and state, any focus on Catholicism seems to some analysts more a relic of Anti-Catholic prejudice than a well-intentioned effort to examine Alito's temperament, intellect or judicial philosophy.

"The question is fidelity to the law", said Douglas Kmiec, a constitutional law professor at Pepperdine School of Law.

So it is entirely appropriate for the Senate to make that inquiry, WHAT IS INAPPROPRIATE IS FOR THE SENATE TO MAKE THAT INQUIRY ONLY OF CATHOLICS"

He also said:" "The History of those Senate inquiries is that (Catholics) are the only people who have been asked."

The late Justice William Brennan, Justices Antonin Scalia and Anthony Kennedy, and most recently, Chief Justice John roberts, were all asked if their Catholic faith would interfere with their ability to uphold the Constitution and the laws of the United States, Kmiec said."

end of quote.

Therefore, Joe from Chicago can put his 5/9th where the sun does not shine.

Joe from Chicago may not be aware that:

"Anti-Catholicism is the Anti-Semitism of the Intellectuals"

I hope this was not too difficult for you to understand, Debra Law. I hope to run into you again where you may find that I may be able to show that even someone named Law makes mistakes.

Cheers!!!!

"
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2005 03:40 am
Steppenwolf wrote:
Debra-

You’re plainly misreading me – intentionally, I think. Plessy was simply an example of a famously overruled case. For that function, it’s perfectly adequate, and you certainly don’t need to recite its holding to me. Dred Scott was an example of due process gone awry. It was 5th amendment “due process,” but that’s adequate for my argument. Yes, it was overruled by the 14th amendment, and that’s my point! It was plainly bad law, and everyone realizes it.

Placing Roe into due process is ridiculous. It was an extremely poorly reasoned decision, and it survived in Casey only by virtue of a ridiculous paean to stare decisis—something that hasn’t stopped the Court from overruling precedent in other contexts. The fact is that, even if you accept DP privacy, Roe and its progeny are outliers. Abortion is no more private than many other medical procedures, and the regulation of medicine in this country is quite extensive. To place that procedure in the private sphere is a non sequiter consider both the history of the 14th amendment and the context of abortions.

Here is our previous argument for a detailed account of my stance.
I feel like our current argument is a rerun.

Steppenwolf:

Plessy v. Ferguson is a case that embraced state-enforced OPPRESSION of black people. It was overruled over a half-century later by Brown v. Board of Education. As a result, black people are allowed to participate more fully and freely in society as equals to white people.

Bowers v. Hardwick is a case that embraced state-enforced OPPRESSION of homosexuals. It was overruled seventeen years later by Lawrence v. Texas. As a result, homosexuals are no longer singled out for stigmatization by morally reprehensible criminal laws and are allowed to participate more fully and freely in society as equals to heterosexuals.

Why would the Supreme Court reverse Roe v. Wade that embraces the LIBERTY of a woman to choose her own procreative destiny (which allows her to participate more fully and freely in society as a man's equal) in favor of state-enforced OPPRESSION? Usually when the Court reverses a previous decision, we tend to move forward as a society--not backwards.

The Fourteenth Amendment provides that "No state shall . . . deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws."

The primary purpose of establishing the Constitution was to SECURE liberty. A legislative enactment that violates the primary purpose cannot be called a "law." Enforcement of a statute that arbitrarily or unreasonably infringes upon individual liberty is oppression--it is NOT due process of law.

The due process clause protects ALL liberty from arbitrary, unreasonable, oppressive state infringements or deprivations. A woman's interest in deciding her own procreative destiny is a liberty interest protected by due process of law against arbitrary state infringements. It is oppression, pure and simple, for the state to take the right to choose away from a woman. A woman's right to choose is protected by the due process clause of the Fourteenth Amendment.

The state has a legitimate interest in regulating the medical profession to ensure that the people receive safe and competent medical care. The state has a legitimate interest in ensuring that a woman's decision to undergo a medical procedure to terminate a pregnancy is informed and well considered as with all medical procedures. The state has a legitimate interest in protecting the life of a viable fetus--a fetus that can survive outside the womb. However, the state does not have a legitimate interest in regulating the medical procedure to the point of placing undue burdens on a woman's right to terminate her pregnancy before the fetus is viable.

Simply because an abortion is a medical procedure subject to regulation does not mean that the state may prohibit abortions. Likewise, the state may not prohibit other elective procedures such as tubal ligations, vasectomies, breast implants, penile implants, tummy tucks, and face lifts simply because the state regulates the medical profession. Attempting to distinguish a woman's right to choose from other liberty interests protected by due process of law simply because it involves a medical procedure is without merit.

The Constitution protects ALL liberty, great and small, from arbitrary and unreasonable deprivations. The Constitution does not tolerate oppression. Even though we had similar discussions on another thread a year ago, the importance of securing liberty and justice for all is worth repeating every now and then.
0 Replies

Mortkat

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2005 03:46 am
I was not arguing that Asian Americans are superior human beings and that African Americans are inferior and that no amount of education will ever change that alleged fact.

If you read my post( The line is hardly unintelligible except to someone who wants to make it so)--"The Asian minority outclasses African-Americans in almost every scholastic area"

You don't understand that line?

Do you doubt is is true?

Then give evidence it is false.

I have and will give evidence it is true.

Again, if we place or attempt to place people in positions according to a quota system--

We have too many Roman Catholic Judges on the Supreme Court'(Roman Catholics don't comprise over 50% of the population, We will now have 5/9th's

or

We don't have enough women on the Supreme Court( Half the population of the US is female.,The USSC should be half female)

or

We don't have enough African-American Students at MIT(There should be at least 12% African-Americans)

WHAT I AM SAYING ( and pay attention to all the words-you seem to have trouble comprhending)

The culture of African Americans in the United States, on the whole, does not provide the settings, attitudes, and philosophy which make the Asian students, on the whole, so much better scholastically in most areas, DESPITE FORTY YEARS OF MASSIVE EDUCATIONAL FUNDING OF BLACKS IN THE GHETTO.

Do you have trouble understanding that?

Now. do you understand the meaning of Thomas Sowell's point--

"The even distribution of proportional representation of groups in occupations or institutions remains an intellectual construct defied by reality in society after society"

Some people just need ABC explanation. They apparently don't have the ability to analyze.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2005 04:51 am
Mortkat wrote:
Very well , Debra Law, I'll make it intelligible, Would you prefer first grade phraseology or shall I go higher?

First grade phraseology is fine if you can handle it. If not, perhaps JoefromChicago can work up another Sesame Street lesson. I love the Count. I bet your favorite character is Oscar the Grouch. Am I right?

Quote:
Joe from Chicago made the point that 5/9th of the USSC would be Roman Catholic if he was appointed.

SO WHAT?

Is that intelligible enough for you?

Joe made his point clear:

"With the addition of Alito, we will have one of the most homogeneous supreme courts since the early decades of the twentieth century: it will be largely white, male, eastern, catholic, and professionally insulated. I don't think that's a good thing."

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1648307#1648307

Quote:
I made the point, given "intelligibly" by Thomas Sowell that : quote---"The mere fact that different peoples and cultures have evolved in radically different geographical settings is alone enough to make similarity of skills virtually impossible"

How does your "point" have any relevance to Joe's observation? We don't have "different peoples" representing different "cultures" who "evolved in radically different geographical settings" sitting on the United States Supreme Court. Joe would welcome diversity. However, we do not have diversity on the Court. Joe observed, with the addition of Alito, the Court will be largely white, male, eastern, catholic, and professionally insulated.

So, what does your statement about the impossibility of people from different cultures/geographical settings having "similarity of skills" have to do with Joe's observation that we will have one of the most homogeneous supreme courts since the early decades of the twentieth century?

I don't understand the connection. There is no connection. Your statement is of no relevance to anything Joe said. Your statement is absolutely unintelligible with respect to the topic of a homogeneous group of men sitting on our nation's highest court.

Quote:
Or to make it intelligible for you--We cannot have quotas --3 African Americans, 2 women, 1 Jew, 2 Roman Catholics.

Joe never said he desired quotas; Joe said he was "concerned about the lack of professional diversity."

Quote:
Since you seem to be hung up on "intelligibility"( your posts are largely impentrable and are filled with questionable conclusions) I will quote from a newspaper which I believe, is written so sixth graders can understand it.

impentrable [sic]? If your mind is unable to penetrate my posts, how can you tell the difference between a fact or a conclusion or whether its questionable? If you have any questions about anything I have written, please ask.

Quote:
Chicago Sun Tinmes- Sunday- November 6-P. 30A

Headline-

ROLE OF ALITO'S CATHOLIC FAITH COULD BE TRICKY QUESTION

"...in a country with a tradition of separation between church and state, any focus on Catholicism seems to some analysts more a relic of Anti-Catholic prejudice than a well-intentioned effort to examine Alito's temperament, intellect or judicial philosophy. . . . [snip] end of quote.

Joe was not placing his focus on Catholicism, his focus was on the homogeneous make-up of the Court based on several characteristics that the majority of the justices have in common: white, male, eastern, catholic, and professionally insulated. Therefore, your criticism is incomprehensible and irrelevant.

Quote:

I hope this was not too difficult for you to understand, Debra Law. I hope to run into you again where you may find that I may be able to show that even someone named Law makes mistakes.

But JoefromChicago is not Anti-Catholicism and that's what YOU fail to understand. He merely expressed his concern about the lack of professional diversity.

I understand that your criticism of JoefromChicago is unwarranted and makes no sense at all. All of your criticism was unintelligible and I made no mistake in that department.

Cheers to you too.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2005 06:27 am
Mortkat wrote:
I was not arguing that Asian Americans are superior human beings and that African Americans are inferior and that no amount of education will ever change that alleged fact.

If you read my post( The line is hardly unintelligible except to someone who wants to make it so)--"The Asian minority outclasses African-Americans in almost every scholastic area"

You don't understand that line?

Do you doubt is is true?

Then give evidence it is false.

I have and will give evidence it is true.

Again, if we place or attempt to place people in positions according to a quota system--

We have too many Roman Catholic Judges on the Supreme Court'(Roman Catholics don't comprise over 50% of the population, We will now have 5/9th's

or

We don't have enough women on the Supreme Court( Half the population of the US is female.,The USSC should be half female)

or

We don't have enough African-American Students at MIT(There should be at least 12% African-Americans)

WHAT I AM SAYING ( and pay attention to all the words-you seem to have trouble comprhending)

The culture of African Americans in the United States, on the whole, does not provide the settings, attitudes, and philosophy which make the Asian students, on the whole, so much better scholastically in most areas, DESPITE FORTY YEARS OF MASSIVE EDUCATIONAL FUNDING OF BLACKS IN THE GHETTO.

Do you have trouble understanding that?

Now. do you understand the meaning of Thomas Sowell's point--

"The even distribution of proportional representation of groups in occupations or institutions remains an intellectual construct defied by reality in society after society"

Some people just need ABC explanation. They apparently don't have the ability to analyze.

I don't agree with your statement that "The Asian minority outclasses African-Americans in almost every scholastic area." You relegate all blacks to the ghetto; you claim attempts to educate blacks in the ghetto are in vain; and you appear to be racist. But even if your statement is true, how does that relate to the topic of a homogeneous group of justices sitting on our nation's highest court? Are you trying to make an analogy? Are you saying that Catholic judges OUTCLASS non-Catholic judges in almost every judicial area and that somehow explains their dominant presence on the Court?

Why do you continue to allege that Blacks are inferior if you claim you're not arguing they're inferior? What's your point in stating this:

"The culture of African Americans in the United States, on the whole, does not provide the settings, attitudes, and philosophy which make the Asian students, on the whole, so much better scholastically in most areas, DESPITE FORTY YEARS OF MASSIVE EDUCATIONAL FUNDING OF BLACKS IN THE GHETTO."

Are you making an analogy? Are you trying to say the culture of Non-Catholics does not provide the "settings, attitudes, and philosophy" which make Catholics, on the whole, much better judges? Are you trying to say that nothing will help Non-Catholics to overcome these barriers?

You don't make any sense. Why make a statement that degrades the educational abilities of an entire race of people when it has no relevance whatsoever to the diversity or homogeneity of the Supreme Court?

We are not talking about quotas; we are talking about diversity vs. homogeneity. JoefromChicago did not advocate for an "even distribution of proportional representation of groups" on the Supreme Court. Accordingly, all your statements are irrelevant and incomprehensible with respect to the topic.

Prior to nominating Harriet Miers, President Bush was quoted as embracing diversity on the Court:

"I am mindful that diversity is one of the strengths of the country," he said. "I have interviewed people in the past and thought about people from all walks of life."

http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/09/26/oconnor.replacement/

If diversity is a strength that would be welcomed on the Court, what do you have against diversity?
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2005 08:46 am
May I point out one thing that everyone seems to be overlooking?
Judge Alito has TWICE been confirmed by the Senate 100-0.

I think that is indicative of what is going to happen this time.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2005 09:08 am
mysteryman wrote:

Is it your opinion, then, that since 1990, when Alito was confirmed for his current job, nothing has happened that would make senators want to vote differently this time?
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2005 09:20 am
Mortkat wrote:

Are you calling me an "intellectual?" Why mort, that's the nicest thing you've ever said to me!

Mortkat wrote:

Cheers!!!!

"

The truly interesting point to mention here is that, despite contributing 54 posts up to this time, mortogato has still not told us what Richard Posner thinks of all this.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2005 09:24 am
mysteryman wrote:

That's a bit like saying that, if a candidate received unanimous approval when running for village dog catcher, he should receive unanimous approval when running for president. It is perfectly reasonable for the senate to hold supreme court nominees to a higher standard than would be the case with lower court nominees.
0 Replies

Mortkat

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 05:35 pm
Debra Law- I am afraid you must forgive me. I am not as skilled in argument as lawyers like you and Joe from Chicago.

I will do the best I can, with your forebearance. I appreciate your patience.

l. Joe from Chicago appeared to be "upset" that 5/9th of the Supreme Court would be staffed with Justices who are Roman Catholic

2. I provided quotes from an article that showed that the only Judges whose religious backgrounds are ever referenced are Roman Catholic.

3. I attempted to show, with quotes from Dr. Tom Sowell, that the number of people from a group who is engaged in a particular enterprise is irrelevant. Sowell makes it clear that expertise and ability is NOT EVENLY DISTRIBUTED IN A SOCIETY AND THAT, YES, THERE ARE SOME GROUPS, WHO, BECAUSE OF CULTURAL FACTORS WILL EXHIBIT GREATER EXPERTISE AND ABILITY.

4. The comparision of African-Americans and Asians is pertinent because Political Correctness appears to imply that there must be a proportional appointment of persons to key positions.

Supreme Court?

Why, according to strict quota representation, there should be 50% women, NO JEWS( 5% does not give them a leg to stand on), One African-American, One Hispanic, and(I know this will soothe Joe from Chicago)Only two Roman Catholics.

This is why Joe from Chicago's 5/9th statement is so absurd. We do not( it is hoped) operate on a strict quota system for our important positions in society.

African-Americans and Asians?

African-Americans are oversubscribed, expecially in political positions, but, as data shows, they are far inferior to Asians. Asians, alas, do not have the political clout of African-Americans.

Now, Debra Law, as a brilliant lawyer, you may have data with which I am not familiar, but I do read the results of the latest SAT exam.

You mentioned, Debra Law, that you disagree with me that the Asian-American outclasses African-Americans in almost every scholastic endeavor.

It goes without saying that some African-Americans( a limited number) outclass Asian-Americans in scholastic endeavors but according to SAT SCORES IN 2004 ASIANS SCORED 507 verbal to Blacks' 430 and 577 math to Blacks' 427.

I am sure that you are familiar enough with math and the normal curve to realize that only the tail end of the Black distribution would be higher than the Asian normal curve distribution.

On the other hand, you may be pleased to know that Female Verbal scores were higher than Male scores 518 to 501 and Math scores were--female 508- Male --504.

With the latter, I know you will agree.
0 Replies

Mortkat

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 06:00 pm
Richard Posner? One of the most brilliant legal scholars in the United States!! Why should I reference him at this time?

I will wait until the hapless, balding, plagiarist in the Senate, who, unfortunately, is on the Judiciary committee( Joey Biden, of course) makes some ridiculous comment( showing that he really did have to cheat to get through the THIRD RATE Syracuse Law School.) The Senate will take anybody nowadays- Third Rate Law Schoolers like Biden and people expelled from Harvard for cheating like Ted (Chappaquiddick) Kennedy seem to be the norm on the Democratic side of the Judiciary Committee.

They sit in judgment of superb Constitutional Scholars like Roberts and Alito!! Without the crib sheets they get from their Yale and Harvard Law staffers, they wouldn't know what to ask.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 11:48 pm
Mortkat wrote:
Richard Posner? One of the most brilliant legal scholars in the United States!! Why should I reference him at this time?

Because you always reference him, Mortogato, sooner or later.
0 Replies

Mortkat

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 01:49 am
Who is Mortogato? Jer from Chicoo> I do not know him.

I was expecting more from the auspicious and erudite attorney. Have you lost your touch? or are you ceding the points I made?

Very well, no rebuttal means my points stand.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 10:25 am
Mortkat wrote:
Who is Mortogato?

Well, let's review.

First you were Italgato.
Then it was bocdaver.
Followed by septembri.
Then chiczaira.
And now you're Mortkat.

I've probably missed a few incarnations in there; I'm just surprised that you know who you are from one day to the next.
0 Replies