Sources: Bush taking money out of ?

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2005 04:32 pm
Sorry if this is "noob" of me but i'm writing a paper on the whole Iraqi war situation concerning economy. Does anyone know what programs Bush is taking money out of to fund his war? Any sources or websites would be helpful. Also, it'd be nice if the sources were "fact"
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 733 • Replies: 5
No top replies

AliceInWonderland

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2005 07:57 am
Why not just look at the budget for the US goverment. You can look at all the numbers and figure it out. Go to whitehouse.gov and search from there.
0 Replies

Steppenwolf

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2005 01:45 pm
Re: Sources: Bush taking money out of ?
NumbFaint wrote:
Sorry if this is "noob" of me but i'm writing a paper on the whole Iraqi war situation concerning economy. Does anyone know what programs Bush is taking money out of to fund his war? Any sources or websites would be helpful. Also, it'd be nice if the sources were "fact"

You're not going to find anything on this specific question, particularly at the White House webpage. First, I think you misunderstand federal budgeting. During appropriations we don't make specific offsets--i.e. we don't specify that money for X program or war should come from Y's funding. Secondly, as a de facto matter, the money for much of our current discretionary spending is being borrowed. What does that mean? It means that young people like you--future voters and taxpayers--ultimately get to pay for current voters' spending binge. You can view your ever expanding debt at U.S. Debt. Enjoy!

Once upon a time we did have something akin to spending offsets. Under the PayGo sheme (pay-as-you-go), most appropriations needed to be offset to keep a positive net balance (but this never included tax cuts or "tax expenditures"). PayGo expired in 2002, and Congress--in its infinite fiscal wisdom--decided not to renew it. Fiscal accountability--who needs it?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2005 02:28 pm
The best place to find the amount spent in certain areas is in the historical tab les published with the budget every year. They can be found here
http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/budget/fy2006/pdf/hist.pdf
(warning - this is a large pdf.)

It allows you to compare the spending in different areas. But as Steppenwolf mentioned, the money for the war isn't coming out of specific programs. It is all being borrowed. The historical tables allow you to compare deficits per year too.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2005 11:30 pm
Bush might or might no0t have cut certain programs, but the money for the Iraq war is coming out of the deficit-that is, we are borrowing the money and have to pay it back as part of the national debt.

Bush origianlly said the Iraq invasion would cost 80 billion, but others put it closer to 200 billion.

the following is an Excel chart I made myself from Congressional Budget Office figures. You can see how Bush is financing the Iraq war as part of the deficit. Not only that, but the tax cuts he gave wealthy Americans led to shortfalls for so much more-even if you eleiminate the money going to Iraq/Afghanistan, Bush still runs a deficit!!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v645/kelticwizard100/GreenspanDeficitB.jpg
Source: Table F1
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2005 11:38 pm
By the way, this chart includes monies collected for Social Security. If you disallow the monies collected for that, the Bush deficit swells up to 567 billion dollars.

Social Security monies are the "off-budget" column in the Congressional Budget Office page mentioned above.

If you have any more questions, let me know. I'll do my best. Laughing
0 Replies