Sun 30 Oct, 2005 03:55 pm
Hi!

I am new to the boards and have a question about Rum Cakes. I would like to make some and ship them for Christmas gifts, but unsure of how long they will stay fresh. If they are wrapped in plastic wrap and put in a tin will that be good enough to keep them fresh??

Thanks in advance for your time and help!

Lee
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 8,333 • Replies: 21
Topic Closed
No top replies

farmerman

Sun 30 Oct, 2005 04:10 pm
This seems like some research is needed on this. If you send me 3 rum cakes I will test them daily to keep a careful record about freshness . Ya know, I dont think that 3 will be enough, I really get into research in a big way.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Sun 30 Oct, 2005 04:16 pm
I haven't made rum cake but I used to make multiples of the Joy of Cooking's hardest recipe for fruitcake (I know, waiting for the gasps to subside, I actually like MY fruitcake.)

I would cut cheesecloth to fit around the fruitcake, and do two whole cuts of cheesecloth (usually cheesecloth is layered, so I'd end up with several layers) for each fruitcake. I'd pour Hennessy cognac into a bowl and soak the cheesecloth, squeezed just so the cognac was not all dripping, and then wrap the fruitcake with them.
Then I'd wrap that with a couple of layers of overlapping heavy foil, and put it in a closed tin. That would last for months, though I never had any around for months... but since I made a lot of them, I would sometimes have some around after several weeks.

I don't know if this is a recommended procedure, but it tasted great and nobody got sick.... that I know of.
0 Replies

farmerman

Sun 30 Oct, 2005 04:27 pm
Theres a ringing endorsement
"My cakes were so great that nobody got sick"

Ill amend that slightly

"My cakes, stored this way were enjoyed by us for weeks, and the cognac added a little something to insure freshness with a special flavor"

Howzat?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Sun 30 Oct, 2005 04:37 pm
That was a good special edit...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Sun 30 Oct, 2005 04:58 pm
Here's what looks like a good blog and a recipe for rumsoaked fruitcake with a process that is similar but not exactly like mine...

http://blogs.salon.com/0001848/2003/12/03.html
0 Replies

leigh561

Sun 30 Oct, 2005 08:10 pm
Thank you so much for your advice. I think I will try the cheesecloth way. We'll see what happens. I just might try that fruitcake recipe too...it didn't sound too bad.
0 Replies

Wy

Mon 31 Oct, 2005 05:49 pm
A friend's grandfather used to make his Christmas-gift fruitcakes in August. Nothing in them but pecans and pineapples, and a few maraschinos for decoration in the pineapple rings on top.

He made twenty or thirty of them, and did something similar to Osso's cheesecloth way, and stored them on a high shelf. Every Sunday after church he'd climb up on a chair, open each tin, and drizzle a shot of rum over the cake.

I loved it when she was my roommate and shared her Grampa's cake with me!
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Wed 2 Nov, 2005 10:52 am
Rum cake storage
this may be a bit simpleminded, but wouldn't any good cookbook that gives a recipe for rum cakes or similar indicate their shelf life?
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Wed 2 Nov, 2005 11:03 am
Rum cake storage
Y'know - people make fun of fruit cake, but I must admit to liking it. I'm fussy though; there should be more cake than fruit; it should be dark and rich; the fruit should be chopped into fairly small bits (but not minced); and there should definitely be a tang of rum or brandy. Preferably no nuts.

Is a liking for fruit cake politically incorrect?
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Wed 2 Nov, 2005 11:06 am
Rum cake storage
A dab of hard sauce on top doesn't hurt, either.
0 Replies

material girl

Wed 2 Nov, 2005 11:07 am
The perfect way to store rum cake is to put it in my tummy tum tum then I will gladly go wherever you wanna ship me to.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Wed 2 Nov, 2005 11:17 am
Tomkitten, re fruitcake, apparently liking it is fairly rare.

Material Girl, that's a great answer...
0 Replies

ehBeth

Wed 2 Nov, 2005 11:30 am
I make a stollen version <a light fruitcake> with lots of almonds and fruit soaked in Amaretto. I wrap it in several layers of cheesecloth, and then at least one towel <for sturdiness> and keep marinating the packages with more Amaretto. It definitely improves over time. The years I make stollen, I prepare it about 6 - 8 weeks in advance of when it will be eaten.
0 Replies

farmerman

Wed 2 Nov, 2005 11:40 am
Tom kitten, liking fruitcake isnt not PC , its just like liver, some like it , but most are gagged by it.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Wed 2 Nov, 2005 11:47 am
Rum cake storage
And NO Maraschino cherries.

I used to like them, but once I ordered a piece of cherry pie for dessert, and it turned out to be made with all Maraschino cherries. I haven't been able to face them since. It was the most appalling dish I've ever encountered.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Wed 2 Nov, 2005 12:35 pm
That does sound appalling indeed.
0 Replies

Wy

Wed 2 Nov, 2005 02:06 pm
I like fruitcake, too, but it should be the light kind, with more fruit than cake. A couple of RED maraschinos on top are ok, but please leave out the citron and put in more pecans and FRUIT-fruits, like apricot, pineapple, golden raisins...

As I said before, that pecan-and-pineapple one was THE BEST.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Wed 2 Nov, 2005 02:34 pm
I'm so weird I make my own candied orange peel for fruitcake, and for the pannetone I make.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Wed 2 Nov, 2005 03:25 pm
Rum cake storage
Sounds good to me, Osso!

No way weird. I make my own bread and people think that's really weird. But who can eat the stuff they sell at the supermarket?
0 Replies