Japanese foods are so smelly and gross

Tomkitten

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2005 09:03 am
Japanese foods
My father loved tripe - had one restaurant in Paris where he always ordered it. Me I like escargots - slathered in garlic and butter you just can't beat 'em.

However, I draw the line at crab and lobster. Great big bugs, and not that much flavor to recommend them; lobster reminds me of rather sweet chicken, and chicken is much easier to eat.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2005 09:16 am
dagmaraka wrote:
yitwal, i'm as european as they get, but you'd have to fight me to get me to eat an escargot. thought oysters i love and it probably can't be that different. oysters, however, do not crawl around our garden and i didn't play with them as a kid. snails are quite lovely though, with their antennaes and whatnot.
black pudding i like, i think- if it's the same stuff as we make here, we call it the Pigfeast kasha. mmm. haggis i never tried, but am not very temtpted to either.

Ocean oysters, i rather enjoy myself, although i prefer them cooked. Mountain oyster, also known as Prairie oyster, is something quite different. it's an animal part. if you really want to know, read the details below the drawing. in the meantime, here's some oysters that did move about:

http://www.sid-hill.com/look2/wal-2.jpg

mountain oysters are cattle testicles.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2005 09:46 am
The one time I ate raw oysters I was violently ill for days, so they've had their chance, but I like cooked ones.

The one time I ate snails, in a good french restaurant, they were delicious.

I've liked all japanese foods that I've tried, which are many, except for quail egg (but I'm picky about regular chicken eggs) and raw sea urchin.

Have liked tripe soup myself, but not enough to eat a giant bowl of it - half a bowl at Pierre au Tunnel's in NYC.

Haggis I've only heard about.

Love lobster and dungeness crab..

Blood pudding, have never been near. I remain open to the possibility.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2005 05:43 pm
Menudo -- Mexican-style tripe soup -- is the great Mexican hangover cure. You can usually find it in Mexican restaurants on Sunday morning, the better to fix you up from Saturday night.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2005 07:13 pm
Ya ask me, that haggis looks a lot like boiled bagpipe.
0 Replies

KiwiChic

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2005 07:40 pm
I love raw oysters, cant eat them cooked
Now lol Mountain Oysters here, are actually 'sheep' testicles

Tripe - yuk had to eat it as kids, dont like it, wont eat it now.
Love Sushi!
Haggis - while in Scotland I was determined to have a bite, but when the opportunity came, I had the mother of all hang overs...just could not face it!
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2005 08:30 pm
Japanese
You're right, Roger! I never thought of that.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2005 08:41 pm
My french housemate won't eat escargot either, Dag.
0 Replies