Tomkitten

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2005 07:52 am
Tofu
Two advantages to tofu: 1) it's a great excuse for all kinds of sauces and seasonings; 2) AND it's good for you.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2005 05:48 am
I bought all the ingredients to make my tofu burgers at the weekend, so sunday I got all prepared, cut up my, onion,garlic,carrot,sunfowers seeds,kidney beans.bouillon powder and tofu, mixed it all together, squidged it into burger shapes, put it in the oven on the correct setting for the satted time, went back to them when the time was up, and they wernt cooked!!

What to do?I left them in a bit longer, the outside got burnt, nothing much happened to the inside.I got a sppon and dislodged them from their burger shape so all the ingredients was evenly distributed on the tray, left it a while longer, tried it, it wasnt too pleasent, not completely unedible but ken on the idea of doing it as they didnt cook as they should have done.

Tofu is odd, dint taste of anything.
Im gona look up other recipes for tofu.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2005 07:48 am
Suggestion MG

Go to a restaurant or get some take out of a tofu dish.

Then, you'll know what it's supposed to taste like w/ sauces.

Last night I sauteed some vegs, then through in some leftover pork for the wolverine, and some tofu diced up for me, with some sauce.

The tofu tasted like the sauce, vegetables and pork.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2005 09:18 am
Its like jelly/butter, is it suposed to toughen up when cooked?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2005 11:28 am
Tofu comes in different densities. The more jellylike is used for something that it mixes in with, I guess like sauces. When I've used tofu I've bought the firm or extrafirm, marinated it, sauted it.. I still buy it once in a while.

On breast cancer, I have also heard pros and cons. Isoflavones do seem to have a positive effect re incidence of breast cancer in Japan, re prevention.

Many of the cons I've read are really directed at the consumption of soy powders.. but I am still chary of tofumania, re links like ehBeth sited.

What worries me for the female population at large, if it is contraindicated in breast cancer, is that there are a number of women running around who don't know they have it, the beginning lumps still being small and early.

So, I think some tofu, soy milk, etc is fine for most younger women, but I'm not on board for it as a panacea.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 01:33 pm
You might tray not doing the burgers in the oven, but sauteeing them in a skillet on the stove. Broiling them might well do them unevenly.

Maybe they didn't tast of anything because they got overcooked?

What textur of tofu did you use? Soft? Firm? Xtra firm?
That makes quiate a difference. Soft would be for sauces or puddings; I would use really firm that can be chopped up like ground meat (shopped by hand, probably, not in a meat grinder or Cuisinart) for burgers.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 01:35 pm
Sorry about typos - just out of the hospital; not too steady with my fingers yet, I guess.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 01:53 pm
Oh, Tomkitten, hope you're ok. Welcome back..
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 01:02 pm
Also try TVP or textured vegetable protein made from soy flour. Add it to spaghetti sauce instead of ground beef or make sloppy joes from it. The texture reconstituted is like ground beef.
0 Replies