Here is the Crime in Outing a CIA Agent

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2005 04:43 pm
Here is the Crime in Outing a CIA Agent
By Gary Hart

It is now fashionable among columnists supporting the Bush administration, New York Times journalist Judith Miller, Robert Novak and the increasing network of senior administration officials implicated in the Valerie Plame Wilson outing to say, "So what? Where's the crime?"

The federal statute making it a criminal penalty to knowingly divulge the identity of anyone working undercover for the Central Intelligence Agency was not enacted in a vacuum.

In the early 1970s, in part as a result of the radicalization of individuals and groups over the Vietnam War, a former CIA employee named Philip Agee wrote a book revealing the identities of several dozen CIA employees, many under deep cover and some including agency station chiefs in foreign capitals.

Many of the countries in which those CIA employees were working themselves had extremely radical and violent elements stirred to hatred over their opposition to America's conduct in the Vietnam War. So, by revealing their identities, Agee had knowingly and willingly placed these American citizens at risk. Violent consequences were predictable.

Richard Welch, a brilliant Harvard-educated classicist, had been stationed in Greece as CIA station chief only a few months before he was murdered, by a radical Greek terrorist organization called the 17th of November, in the doorway of his house in Athens on Dec. 23, 1975. Had Agee not divulged his name, there is every reason to believe that Welch would be alive today after decades of loyal service to his country.

Largely as a result of Agee's perfidy and Welch's unnecessary death, the Intelligence Identities Protection Act (IIPA) of 1982 was enacted, making it a felony to knowingly divulge the identity of a covert CIA operative. It carries penalties of 10 years in prison and a $50,000 fine for each offense. There are those who dismiss the crime by saying, "Oh, Wilson only had a desk job." That is not a defense under this felony statute. It is for the CIA, not Karl Rove or Robert Novak, to determine who requires identity protection and who does not.

The political irony of all this is that conservative elements in America have always proclaimed themselves more concerned than anyone else with national security, the sanctity of classified information, protection of sources, support for our intelligence and military services, and so on. At radical times in our past, irresponsible leftist groups thought it was their duty to try to reveal the names of CIA agents. Now, under a conservative administration, it is these conservative national security champions who are saying, with regard to the "outing" of a CIA undercover officer, "Where's the crime?"

There is further irony in the fact that now the premier intelligence agency of the United States, the CIA, is in utter disarray. Morale is desperately low. Many of the best career officers are leaving. As the source of unbiased professional intelligence, the CIA has been diminished and pushed aside by the Department of Defense. This at a time when it is critical to national security to have the best possible intelligence to protect us from terrorism.

I served on the first Senate Intelligence Oversight Committee in the late 1970s and have continued to be a strong believer in and supporter of the CIA. I deplore those who want to diminish it, politicize it, or require it to produce bogus intelligence it would not otherwise produce simply to fit some preconceived political or ideological agenda. In almost every case where the CIA has malfunctioned, it did so under pressure from one political administration or another.

So, there's the crime. To casually and willfully endanger the life of an undercover CIA agent is a felony. You either believe in taking the laws of the United States seriously or you do not. Citizens - even highly placed ones - do not get to pick and choose which laws they will obey and which they will not. Miller and her publisher may think she's a hero, but I don't. It is well established that there is no First Amendment protection for a journalist or anyone else to withhold evidence of a crime.

There is one final irony to this story. On Christmas Eve in 1975, I got a call at my home from the director of the CIA, William Colby. He asked if I would intervene with the White House to obtain presidential approval to have Welch buried at Arlington National Cemetery, a hero fallen in service to his country. I quickly called President Ford's chief of staff on Colby's behalf and made the request. Within two hours, the president had agreed to sign the order permitting Welch to be buried at Arlington.

The chief of staff's name was Richard Cheney.

Update: I incorrectly stated above that Philip Agee included the name of Richard Welch in his book naming CIA operatives. That statement was inaccurate. Mr. Agee did not identify Richard Welch, but other sources did. Nevertheless, the Agee book and subsequent Agee actions did contribute substantially to the passage of the Intelligence Identities Protection Act of 1982. I apologize to Mr. Agee for this incorrect assertion.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 501 • Replies: 8
No top replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2005 05:12 pm
Whom Should I Believe? Victoria Toensing or My Own Lying Eye
Whom Should I Believe? Victoria Toensing or My Own Lying Eyes?
By David Fiderer

"'There is not one fact that I have seen that there could be a violation of the agent identity act,' said Victoria Toensing, a lawyer who helped draft the 1982 act." The Washington Times, October 10, 2005

"[T]he interesting thing is all this started from the supposed violation of a 1982 statute that has nothing to do with this case, people are now agreed on that." George Will on This Week October 16, 2005

Did anyone else read the Foreign Intelligence and Identities Act? I did, and it appears to fit Scooter Libby like a glove. Here, step-by-step, is why I think Toensing may be, shall we say, embellishing.

There are several ways to violate the Act, but 50 U.S.C. 421 (a) seems to apply:

"Whoever, having or having had authorized access to classified information that identifies a covert agent, intentionally discloses any information identifying such covert agent to any individual not authorized to receive classified information, knowing that the information disclosed so identifies such covert agent and that the United States is taking affirmative measures to conceal such covert agent's intelligence relationship to the United States, shall be fined under title 18, United States Code, or imprisoned not more than ten years, or both."
Going through the elements, one by one:

1. Did Libby have authorized access to classified information that identifies a covert agent?

a. Libby certainly had authorized access to classified information.

The statute doesn't require that Libby read any classified memo. If someone else with top secret clearance told Libby the information, the requirement is met.
b. The information was classified.

c. Did the information identify Plame as a "covert agent"? Or was Plame a "covert agent"?

Under the statutory definition, a "covert agent" under 50 U.S.C. 426(4)(A) includes someone:

Who is an employee of an intelligence agency,

Whose identity as an employee of the intelligence agency is classified, and

"Who is serving outside the United States or has with the last five years served outside the United States"

Here's how Toensing, with compatriot Bruce Sanford of Baker & Hotstetler, construed the statutory definition of a "covert agent":

"At the threshold, the agent must truly be covert. Her status as undercover must be classified, and she must have been assigned to duty outside the United States currently or in the past five years. This requirement does not mean jetting to Berlin or Taipei for a week's work. It means permanent assignment in a foreign country. Since Plame had been living in Washington for some time when the July 2003 column was published, and was working at a desk job in Langley (a no-no for a person with a need for cover), there is a serious legal question as to whether she qualifies as 'covert.'" "The Plame Game: Was This a Crime?" Washington Post January 12, 2005

But look at the literal text above. The statute says nothing about being "assigned to duty outside the United States" or "permanent assignment in a foreign country." Plame must have merely "served" the CIA outside the United States. This wording was no oversight, since an alternate definition of "covert agent" under 50 U.S.C. 426(4)(B) specifies someone who "resides and acts outside the United States." You "reside" in the country where you have a permanent assignment, but you can "serve" the agency outside the United States in the manner described by Plame's former C.I.A. colleague, Larry Johnson:

"I can tell by virtue of how that [CIA from] company was set up. She was traveling overseas as a consultant in order to meet individuals who would have access, could be either agents of access, could be possible recruits to become spies for the United States in the area of about chemical, biological or nuclear weapons." Testimony before the Senate Democratic Policy Committee on July 22, 2005 [PDF]

In fact "serving outside the United States" can mean something very temporary. A grunt who spent two months in Tikrit "served" in Iraq. Condoleezza Rice travels to the Middle East in the service of the United States.

If Plame regularly traveled outside the U.S. for C.I.A business during the past five years, she was a "covert agent."

2. Did Libby intentionally disclose any information identifying such covert agent to any individual not authorized to receive classified information?

a. Libby told Judith Miller that Joe Wilson's wife worked for the CIA, three times. That establishes "intent" and it "identifies" the covert agent, Plame.

Again, specifying Plame's employment at the CIA, when she received her W-2 from front organization Brewster-Jennings, & Associates, identifies Plame as a covert agent. In this case, using her name makes no legal difference.

b. Miller was not authorized to receive the information, which was classified.

3. Did Libby know that the information disclosed so identifies Plame as a covert agent and that the United States is taking affirmative measures to conceal such Plame's intelligence relationship to the United States?

a. Libby knew he identified Plame, but did he:

"know" that her status as a CIA employee was classified?

"know" that revealing her employment would identify Plame as a covert agent?

"know" he U.S. was taking affirmative measure to conceal her identity?

If Libby read the notorious State Department memo that was the basis for the claim that Plame set up the trip, he knew all of the above. If Libby were obsessed with finding out all he could about Joe Wilson, he would have inevitably come across such information.

Toensing defines "affirmative measures" in her own unique way: "Just giving someone a false identity and a front does not meet the legal standard of affirmative measures especially when she has a desk job at Langley and is driving in and out every day." Washington Post -- Live Online, January 12, 2005

Oh really? Says who? Toensing's standard is nowhere to be found in the statute or legislative history.

Her analysis published on the Washington Post op-ed page goes further:

"There are ways of perceiving whether the government was actually taking the required necessary affirmative measures to conceal its relationship with Plame. We can look, for example, at how the CIA reacted when Novak informed the press office that he was going to publish her name. Did the general counsel call to threaten prosecution, as we know has been done to other reporters under similar circumstances? No. Did then-Director George Tenet or his deputy pick up the phone to tell Novak that the publication of her name would threaten national security and her safety, as we know is done when the CIA is serious about prohibiting publication? No. Did some high-ranking government official ask to visit Novak or the president of his newspaper syndicate to talk him out of publishing - - another common strategy to prevent a story? No.

"Novak has written that the CIA person designated to talk with him replied that although Plame was probably not getting another foreign assignment, exposure "might cause difficulties if she were to travel abroad." He certainly never told Novak that Plame would be endangered. Such a meager response falls far legally shy of 'affirmative measures.'" "The Plame Game: Was This a Crime?" Washington Post January 12, 2005

Toensing needs a refresher course in reading comprehension. She confused her tenses. The leaker must be aware of affirmative measures when he made the leak. Any CIA actions or inactions after the leak are irrelevant to this statute.

When Dan Abrams called Toensing's bluff, she threw a little hissy fit:

TOENSING: Any good reporter knows that when the agency doesn't want you to report something, they threaten you with prosecution or they get the number one or number two person to call you. Bob Novak has been on the record as saying, if they'd done that, I would not have published it. I've been there.

ABRAMS: Yes, but that's a - that's a defense of Robert Novak. I mean that's - and, look, and I've had - I have a lot of problems with how Novak is handling this. I've said it many times. But that's just a defense of . . .

TOENSING: No, it's not, it's an element. You have to understand that. It's the affirmative measures of hiding her identity.

ABRAMS: No, no. No, no. It's not an element that whether the CIA . . .

TOENSING: Yes, it is.

ABRAMS: Would call someone and tell them not to publish it.

TOENSING: Sure it is.

ABRAMS: That's not - what element of the crime involves the CIA calling the reporter and warning them ahead of time?

TOENSING: Because the CIA has to take affirmative measures to hide her identity. And if when told that it's going to be published and they shrug . . .

ABRAMS: But it doesn't have to be - but it doesn't have to be that. The affirmative measures can be anything, Victoria. They . . .

TOENSING: No, they can't, Dan. Come on, I know what it's like. I had . . . I was chief counsel over the intelligence committee.

ABRAMS: I don't care. That's irrelevant. But you're still misstating the law.

TOENSING: Yes, but I - no, I'm not.

ABRAMS: I mean it's - of course you are.

TOENSING: No, I'm not.

ABRAMS: You're suggesting to me that the only way that the Robert Novak could get this information . . .

TOENSING: I didn't say it's the only way.

ABRAMS: You just said - you said that if the CIA didn't call him and warn him ahead of time, that's an element of the crime.

TOENSING: I said that's indicia, Dan.

ABRAMS: Ah.

TOENSING: Of not taking - no, I say that's a factor. I could go on but I bet you, you won't let me go on for all the things that they did, all the things that they did that allowed her identity to be revealed. Including - yes, I mean, she donated to Al Gore in her, you know, in her own name.
Abrams Report, July 12, 2005

Whoa.

Again, the statute doesn't say the "affirmative measures" must be airtight or comprehensive. As Abrams said, "affirmative measures" can mean anything.

The only defense Libby might assert is if, at the time of his leak, the United States had publicly acknowledged or revealed: "the intelligence relationship to the United States of the individual the disclosure of whose intelligence relationship to the United States is the basis for the prosecution." (Section 422)

But that's very different from Toensing's dubious allegation that the C.I.A. let the information slip out. The U.S. government had never publicly acknowledged anything at the time of Libby spoke with Judy Miller on June 23 and July 8, 2003.

So add up the elements, and there's a prima facie case against Libby.

We should know soon enough what Fitzgerald does. For now, Toensing has new talking points:

"Chris, at one point maybe about a month ago I would have said he's a lawyer who is dotting every I, crossing every T, he's just being thorough and he's telling the press, you wanted an investigation, I'll show you an investigation so that no one can say that I skipped any little beat in this thing. But I think recently, I have seen evidence that he has lost it. He has gone over the edge." Toensing on Chris Matthews' Hardball, October 12, 2005

"Fitzgerald has a reputation for being very brain-smart and for being honest, but not necessarily for being judgment smart." Toensing on Countdown, October 11, 2005

Who is Toensing to talk about "being honest"?
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 10:41 am
Plame Speaking
Plame Speaking: Another Outed CIA Agent Hits Media, White House
Gerry Gossens, a CIA station chief, lost his cover in 1979. Sizing up the current Plame/CIA leak case, he says, "I can't believe President Bush's father would have tolerated a leak like that while he was president." It was, he adds, "a despicable act."

By Allan Wolper
(January 01, 2006)

The telephone call came at 5 a.m., July 9, 1979. "Mr. Gossens, you should know that your name is all over the front pages this morning," said a Marine from the United States Embassy in Pretoria, South Africa. Gerry Gossens, the CIA chief of station in Pretoria, knew his diplomatic cover had been blown. The South African press had read a book, "Dirty Work 2: The CIA in Africa," that included the biographies of 800 CIA officers. He was one of them.

"When a CIA agent is outed, it puts him, his family, and all of his diplomatic friends in danger," Gossens, 72, said while sitting in his Salisbury, Vt., home, as he recalled the chaos of that morning.

Gossens moved quickly to make sure his children were safe. He phoned the principals at his kids' schools to prepare them for any potential fallout and later picked up his 17-year-old son, who knew of his father's double life, and his 16-year-old daughter, Christine, who was learning about it for the first time. "You don't want to tell your kids you're CIA until they're old enough to handle it," the former intelligence officer said.

The Gossens, also including his wife and another daughter, escaped physical harm partly because the South African govern ment had known about his dual role and insisted the papers were wrong. But his colleagues at the U.S. embassy who had not known that their congenial civil servant colleague was CIA felt betrayed. "Our friends at the embassy dropped all contact with us, and it became difficult going to diplomatic meetings," he said.

That experience was why I went to see Gossens: I wanted to talk to a former CIA officer whose identity had been revealed by the media. I needed his take on the officials who named Valerie Plame Wilson as a CIA agent, first revealed in Robert Novak's syndicated column.

And most of all, I wanted his perspective on the press' role in the CIA-leak controversy and whether he thought reporters who published the names of CIA agents should be prosecuted. Gossens had plenty to say.

He was aghast that the CIA leak and the alleged cover-up that followed was a plot hatched in or around a White House administered by the son of President George H.W. Bush -- a former director of the intelligence agency. "I can't believe President Bush's father would have tolerated a leak like that while he was president," said Gossens, a Democrat who was chief of station in Lusaka, Zambia, when the elder Bush ran the CIA. The older Bush "knew what an agent's life was like," Gossens said. "He knew the danger of doing something like that. He was respectful of agents. He was a good man."

Gossens had hoped the former president might make some public statement deploring the CIA press leaks, but said he knew that wouldn't happen: "How can you criticize your own son?"

The one-time officer is just as disturbed by the coverage of the Plame affair. "The most irritating thing about the press coverage of the case is that they keep saying that outing Plame doesn't make a difference because she was in Washington," Gossens said, referring to the fact that Plame had stopped her undercover activities more than five years ago.

"That is so arrogant," he said, adding that the Intelligence Indentities Protection Act of 1982 "was passed because CIA agents who were once undercover have a problem no matter where they are stationed now.

"Any journalist who says the law doesn't apply to them is hair-splitting -- and even if it doesn't, they are being unethical by identifying an agent," Gossens added, noting that there was little angry reaction to Novak's column on Plame until two months after it was published. He misses the days when journalists were sensitive to an agent's cover: "We would sometimes swap information with foreign correspondents. They knew what we did, but they kept that information secret."

Gossens said he retired "undercover" from the CIA in 1980, one year after he was outed, and returned to Vermont. In 1992 he won a seat in the state legislature as a democrat and announced he was a former CIA officer. Still, he wouldn't have joined the debate over the current CIA leak case if I hadn't asked him about it. Gossens is concerned about how his words might impact his son, James, who is in Iraq dodging bullets in a Humvee while fighting in a war his father hates.

But once questioned, Gossens is willing to speak for present and former CIA agents about the outing of Plame. "They are angry," Gossens told me. "They joined the CIA to make a difference and believed that their lives and careers were protected. It was a despicable act."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Allan Wolper ([email protected]) has won several national awards for his E&P column.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 10:50 am
Okay that's three posts you have made on the topic...care to place any of your own words in there?
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 10:54 am
Sturgis
Sturgis wrote:
Okay that's three posts you have made on the topic...care to place any of your own words in there?

Wow! You can count!

Nope! Why should I blab on when the authors of the posts are better informed and say it better than I could. I'm not in love with the sound of my own voice like so many people who like to engage in pissing matches on these threads.

BBB
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 10:57 am
As I have said before, I much more enjoy reading your own added thoughts...it is much more pleasurable to pounce on those, knowing that they came directly from you as opposed to doing a third party pounce.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 11:00 am
Sturgis
Sturgis wrote:
As I have said before, I much more enjoy reading your own added thoughts...it is much more pleasurable to pounce on those, knowing that they came directly from you as opposed to doing a third party pounce.

Sorry to place roadblocks to your pouncing pleasure.

BBB
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 11:03 am
'sall-right...

and as always I do appreciate the efforts of your posting the info...even when I disagree with it.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 11:18 am
The problem that noone discusses with this case was the revalation of Brewster-Jennings & assoc. as a CIA front company; potentially blowing the cover of many, many spies.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies