White House orders The Onion to stop using pres. seal

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2005 09:49 am
White House Orders Satirical Paper 'The Onion' to Stop Using Presidential Seal
By E&P Staff
Published: October 24, 2005 2:25 PM ET
NEW YORK

Despite White House spokesman Trent Duffy's admission to New York Times reporter Katharine Q. Seelye that "more than one Bush staffer reads The Onion and enjoys it thoroughly," the White House is seeking to stop the satirical paper from using the presidential seal on its Web site.

Seelye's seal scoop, printed in Monday's paper, reveals that associate counsel to the president Grant M. Dixton sent a letter to the Onion on Sept. 28 stating that the seal "is not to be used in connection with commercial ventures or products in any way that suggests presidential support or endorsement."

The newspaper parodies President Bush's weekly radio address on its Web site, accompanied by a picture of President Bush and the official insignia.

The Onion's lawyer, Rochelle H. Klaskin, countered the government's letter by saying, "It is inconceivable that anyone would think that, by using the seal, The Onion intends to 'convey... sponsorship or approval' by the president."

Klaskin also asked that the Onion be considered fro an official exception to the rule, which is allowable by law.

The Onion distributes 500,000 copies a week, and three million people read the paper online, according to the Times.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
E&P Staff ([email protected])

Links referenced within this article

seal scoop
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/24/business/24onion.html
parodies President Bush's weekly radio address
http://www.theonion.com/content/node/40121
[email protected]
http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/mailto:[email protected]

Find this article at:
http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1001350761
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,647 • Replies: 21
No top replies

NickFun

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2005 11:06 am
Tell Bush and his henpecked pals to lighten up and get over it. Of all the things for the White House to get their panties in a bunch about this has got to be the lamest!
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2005 11:45 am
I suppose if the Onion used the Tablets of the Ten Commandments instead of the Seal, Bush would still object on the grounds that its use would suggest that God endorsed the satire. And, of course, we all know that Bush beleives that he speaks directly to God and rules this country by divine right.

Shame on the Onion for exposing the self-appointed messenger of God to shame and ridicule. On second thought: God works in mysterious ways. Perhaps the shame and ridicule is merely Bush reaping what he sows. If Bush didn't give the Onion (and the rest of us) so much fodder for our amusement in the first place, he wouldn't have to do his pouting via his White House lawyers.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2005 11:47 am
Let it be known that on this day... I agree with Debra_Law
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2005 12:02 pm
Come on . . . you agree with me far more often than you care to admit! Smile

I'm simply not running for public office, therefore, I don't have to modify my views to appeal to the electorate nor prostitute myself to big money interests. God forbid if someone like me should ever be nominated to sit on the bench of the Supreme Court. The opposition could rake through all my posts on A2K and the evidence would be monumental: SHE believes that individual liberty is constitutionally protected against arbitrary governmental deprivations! <GASP>

Just having fun. . . .

Thanks for agreeing with me, Intrepid!
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2005 12:08 pm
If I every change my citizenship from Canadian to American... I will consider voting for you.

Laughing
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2005 12:19 pm
Yeah Debra, I'm copying and saving all your a2k posts just in case you would ever be nominated for the SC.

I even gotta agree that this whole issue seems to be a bit silly. I sure don't see the harm personally. Oh, and I really think this could be the first time we have agreed, Debra. I'm marking it down. :wink:
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2005 12:29 pm
I wish Harriet Miers was a regular poster on A2K and then we would have a written trail with respect to her constitutional views on the important issues of our times . . . perhaps she is a regular poster . . . where's Foxfyre? LOL Harriet? Is that you?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2005 01:42 pm
Saturday Night Live has used the presidential seal for years in their skits.

There are a LOT of movies that have also used the seal.

This has to rank up there as one of the stupidest uses of American taxpayer money.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2005 02:18 pm
I thought this WAS an Onion article to begin with, sheesh!

I hope they have a field day with this one...

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2005 03:18 pm
Dear goddess.

Thesee people need a humour transfusion.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2005 03:36 pm
Doug Moe: Onion bites back at White House
Doug Moe: Onion bites back at White House
By Doug Moe
October 25, 2005

BROADWAY LEGEND George S. Kaufman once famously observed that "satire is what closes on Saturday night," meaning that not enough people "get" satire.

Of course, Kaufman, who died in 1961, never read The Onion, the satiric humor weekly that started on half a shoestring in Madison in 1988 and now boasts 5 million readers a week - 2 million for the print edition, and 3 million online.

A lot of people apparently get The Onion, but that does not necessarily include lawyers in the George W. Bush White House.

The White House recently sent The Onion a scolding letter concerning its use of the Presidential Seal on the paper's Web site.

The Onion, following Jimmy Breslin's dictum that there is no slight so small it can't be turned into a lifelong feud and milked dry in the service of publicity, has gleefully fired back.

It started on Sept. 28, when Grant Dixton, associate counsel to President Bush, sent a letter to The Onion. The classy thing is that it was written on White House stationery. The not so classy thing is that it was addressed, "To Whom It May Concern."

The letter began: "It has come to my attention that The Onion is using the Presidential Seal on its Web site.

"I write to inform you that use of the Presidential Seal is governed by Section 713 of Title 18, United States Code and Executive Order 11649. In accordance with these authorities, the Presidential Seal is not to be used in connection with commercial ventures or products in any way that suggests presidential support or endorsement. While certain exceptions are applicable to these policies, an organization must seek approval from the Office of Counsel to the President. We have no record of your company seeking such approval.

"Therefore, please remove the Presidential Seal from your Web site immediately. Thank you for your attention to this matter."

On The Onion Web site, there is a picture of President Bush and a microphone, and they are superimposed over the Presidential Seal. Underneath it reads: "The President's Weekly Radio Address," with this note, "The Onion provides streaming of the President's Weekly Radio Address as a public service to its readers."

You can click on the current address and there is also an archive of past addresses. Of course, because this is The Onion, the addresses are actually written by Onion editor-in-chief Scott Dikkers, who also does a fair imitation of Bush's voice when you listen to the downloaded addresses.

But it's hard to imagine anyone thinking they were actually listening to Bush's weekly address.

For instance, consider how Dikkers began one recent address: "It was my sad duty this week to accept the resignation of FEMA chief Michael Brown. He was an outstanding public servant who did an excellent job in a time of crisis. Unfortunately, he leaves his post during a crucial period of rebuilding for our country, and under criticism that his sole experience for this vital post was as a failed Arabian horse judge. It is time to look forward. I will fill this post with only the finest and most upstanding judger of horses. When the lives of American citizens are at stake, only someone with a keen eye for excellence in grooming and carriage is acceptable. Therefore, this week, I named Albert Escanaba as the nominee, a county fair judge from Reed, Nebraska."

The Onion took the White House letter seriously enough to have its Madison lawyer, Rochelle H. Klaskin of La Follette, Godfrey & Kahn, write a letter back, though she addressed it "Dear Mr. Dixon" (the White House guy's name was Dixton), perhaps a shot back at "To Whom It May Concern." Klaskin wrote: "Readers of The Onion know that its incidental use of the Presidential Seal and its complementary parody of the president's weekly radio address are not meant to convey sponsorship but, on the contrary, to serve as political commentary."

Klaskin wrote that no one could think the president sponsors or approves The Onion, pointing to the lead headline in the Oct. 13-19 Onion as proof: "Bush to Appoint Someone to Be in Charge of Country."

Dikkers, the editor, wrote the White House lawyer too, also getting his name wrong.

"Dear Mr. Dixon,

"I greatly appreciate your comments regarding my Weekly Radio Address parody. But I'm surprised the president deems it wise to spend taxpayer money for his lawyer to write letters to The Onion.

"If you have a lot of extra money lying around that you don't know what to do with, here are some better ideas for spending it:

"1. How about a tax break for satirists?

"2. With indictments in 'Plamegate' forthcoming, perhaps a nice going-away present for Karl Rove, Scooter Libby, Vice President Cheney, or whoever the president may be firing. I recommend a subscription to The Onion.

"3. It has recently become obvious that there is need for some sort of federal organization to administer the management of emergencies - a hypothetical 'Federal Emergency Management Administration,' if you will. You could spend the money on that.

"4. Harriet Miers could really use a scholarship to some kind of rudimentary judge school.

"In the event there's any extra money left over after all these projects, then perhaps the president could justify paying lawyers to protect him from comedians."

It's not a lifelong feud yet, but it's a start.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2005 03:42 pm
My first thought was surprise, since I didn't know the President had a seal. "Is it an eared seal?" I wondered to myself. Then I read the post and it was cleared up for me.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2005 03:43 pm
This administration thinks wrongly that they "own" the seal of the president. They don't have a clue.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2005 03:45 pm
Sturgis
Sturgis wrote:
My first thought was surprise, since I didn't know the President had a seal. "Is it an eared seal?" I wondered to myself. Then I read the post and it was cleared up for me.

Here is a picture of the President's seal just for you:

http://www.rubylane.com/ni/shops/thegoodolddays/iteml/RL2-743#pic3

BBB
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2005 03:49 pm
Thanks BBB Very Happy
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2005 04:56 pm
I am praying to the "in God we Trust," that the Onion will broadcast Harriet Miers' weekly views from the bench of the United States Supreme Court. Perhaps the Onion could superimpose a picture of the Virgin Harriet in her flowing black judge's gown and a microphone over the Supreme Court seal which can be viewed at this address:

http://www.supremecourtus.gov/

I am very interested in listening to the Virgin Harriet's commentaries on government as the minister of God and how that relates to the constitutional issues that are being addressed by the highest court in the nation.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2005 12:45 pm
The Virgin has withdrawn herself from consideration Debra. Your fantasies and mine will have to wait for the next pick.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2005 12:51 pm
Harriet is no longer in the running? There's still a vacancy on the Court? Yippee!

I gotta dust off my application for associate justice, pad my resume, shove a few skeletons in the closet, and hide my A2K posts. I'm on my way to Washington to cozy up to the greatest president ever! He's so cool!
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2005 03:41 pm
I have already submitted my application for the Supreme Court. If the President simply disregards my FBI file and forgives me for repeatedly calling him an as$hole for the past 7 years and they can ignore my lack of experience and pay no attention to my desire to legalize drugs and prostitution and starts to favor my pro-choice stance then I'm a shoe-in!

Just one more: Bush is an as$hole. There. It's out of my system.
0 Replies