Rosa Parks Dies At 92: The Good Don't Always Die Young

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 10:22 pm
1913-2005

Rosa Parks dies

Detroiter refused to give up her bus seat to a white rider in 1955 Ala.

By Oralandar Brand-Williams The Detroit News

Courage in the face of oppression; resistance in the face of injustice. That is the enduring legacy of Rosa Parks, whose defiance on a racially segregated Montgomery, Ala., bus lit the flame of the modern civil rights movement and inspired freedom movements from South Africa to Poland.

Parks died Monday, Oct. 24, 2005, at home in Detroit. She was 92.

"She was peaceful," said Elaine Steele, Parks' longtime assistant and companion. "She passed away in her sleep. I was there with her and her doctor, Dr. Sharon Oliver."

Parks was honored in songs, books and plays. She had streets, museums and schools named for her, assuring that her contributions and place in history will echo for generations.

She was cited by presidents and foreign nations, testimonials to the kind of worldwide fame she could never have envisioned when she refused to move to another seat for a white passenger on Dec. 1, 1955. "Her name is a code word against totalitarian governments," said author and civil rights historian Douglas Brinkley, who published the biography "Rosa Parks" in 2000.

"There are really three names that have really resonated in the shanty towns of Third World countries around the world. They are Martin Luther King Jr., Rosa Parks and Bob Marley. They are more loved by poor people than any other historical figures in recent memory," Brinkley said.

When former South African President Nelson Mandela visited Detroit in 1990, the elder statesman was overcome with emotion as he greeted Parks.

"Tears filled his eyes as he walked up to the small, old woman with her hair in two silver braids crossed atop her head," wrote Brinkley in the Parks biography.

"And, in a low, melodious tone, Mandela began to chant 'Ro-sa, Ro-sa Parks. Ro-sa Parks.'" Mandela, along with Parks, made Time magazine's "100 Most Influential Persons of the 20th Century" list in 1999. Also honored were Martin Luther King Jr. and Mohandas Gandhi.

Parks inspired freedom seekers of all backgrounds, including Japanese-Americans who sought reparations for their internment in camps in the United States during World War II.

"The whole reason we're here," said Ron Wakabayashi, a former commissioner of the Los Angeles Commission on Human Relations, "is not because she was treated badly, but because she responded to it so courageously."

In 1996, Parks was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the nation's highest civilian honor. Three years later, in June 1999, Parks received the Congressional Gold Medal before a crowd at the U.S. Capitol.

President Clinton remarked how he, at age 9, and his friends rode in the back of segregated buses to show support for Parks.

"We must never forget about the power of ordinary people to stand in the fire for the cause of human dignity, and to touch the hearts of people who have almost turned to stone," he said.

Five months later, in November, Parks was presented with the actual medallion for the Congressional Gold Medal at a star-studded celebration at Detroit's Orchestra Hall. Vice President Al Gore presented the medal at the sold-out tribute.

In 1998, Parks received the National Underground Railroad Freedom Center's first International Freedom Conductor Award during ceremonies in Cincinnati.

Across the country, hundreds of schools bear Parks' name. Schoolchildren honor her in speeches, poems and plays during Black History Month every February and throughout the year. Composers, playwrights and musicians of all stripes have honored her. An Internet search produces thousands of sites, many devoted to her life and legacy.

In 1989, the popular band the Neville Brothers wrote the song "Sister Rosa" in her honor.

"I have children who are 18, 16 and 7, and they all listen to rap music," Cyril Neville, one of the writers, told the Chicago Tribune in 1989.

"When I found it was hard for them to remember their homework, but easy for them to learn rap songs, Daryl Johnson (the other writer) and I decided to take our African-American history, put it to a beat and rap it out.

"It's desperately important for kids today to have a better outlook on themselves than we had when we were growing up."

In February 2001, noted national playwright Von Washington wrote a play about Parks' life, "Rosa Parks: More Than A Bus Story." The play has been shown at colleges throughout Michigan and Ohio. Washington also took his theatrical work to Troy State University in Montgomery, Ala., site of the Rosa Parks Museum.

Washington, a professor at Western Michigan University, said he wanted the world to know that there was much more to Parks' story than a woman and a bus. His work was the first dramatization of her life to receive authorization from the civil rights pioneer.

"It's a very poignant look at someone who has risen to international acclaim as a woman sitting on a bus and becoming the catalyst for an international (civil rights) movement," he said.

Musician Michael Daugherty, a composer-in-residence for the Detroit Symphony Orchestra from 2000-03, produced a work called "Rosa Parks Boulevard."

At the time, Daugherty said he saw himself as a soul mate of Parks'.

"Rosa Parks is someone who challenged society and pushed the boundaries," he said. "She's also a very humble person and soft-spoken. Her manner led me to write the piece in a more laid-back style."

Parks' legacy also reaches to the Rosa and Raymond Parks Institute for Self Development, which she founded to make young people more aware of civil rights history.

The institute receives hundreds of letters each year from schoolchildren.

"We get so many letters," said Anita Peek, executive director of the Detroit-based nonprofit institute. "We get letters every day."

Jennifer Dye, then a third-grader from San Antonio, Texas, wrote Parks in February 2001 and gave money she got for Christmas to the organization.

"I am sorry for what happened to you in December of 1955," Jennifer wrote.

"I still can't understand why white people (like myself) did all those mean things to black people (like yourself).

"I wish I could take away all the hatred and prejudice in the world, but I cannot. I can, however, help make your day special and a difference in your life by giving you money.

"I am proud of you and you used up a lot of courage."

Art Featherstone, who worked with Parks at the Detroit office of U.S. Rep. John Conyers, D-Detroit, said Parks remained deeply affected by those early memories of discrimination and violence in the South.

"When she was a girl ... she could remember the Klan riding at night, and how they were always afraid that they might come and burn the house while they were asleep," Featherstone said.

"And Rosa talked about a lynching that took place sometime way back when she was young. I guess it stayed in the back of her mind."

At the dedication of the Rosa Parks Library and Museum in Montgomery in December 2000, Parks recalled the quiet act of civil disobedience that thrust her onto the world stage.

"In 1955, when I was arrested ... I had no way of knowing what the future held," she said.

"I certainly never thought I would be remembered in such a grand manner."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,520 • Replies: 24
No top replies

kelticwizard

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 10:28 pm
God bless her. She changed the world.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 10:31 pm
Rest in peace - you deserve it. She made dreams come real.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2005 01:06 am
She achieved.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2005 01:11 am
Quote:
"I certainly never thought I would be remembered in such a grand manner."

And remembered she will be. A fine lady who changed history.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2005 01:58 am
I just heard it on the radio before I logged in. Very sad news but she was inspiring to so many people around the world.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2005 03:02 am
This news has moved me to tears.
She rest in peace.
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2005 03:08 am
May she rest in peace, and freedom at last.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2005 05:07 am
Rosa was the best kind of hero.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2005 08:06 am
Funny.
I bet when she was younger, she had no CLUE how important her decision to not move from that seat , would be in history.
I bet she only thought " enough is enough for ME' , and I wonder if she knew how much the WORLD would agree with her..

I am glad to see that her choices in life, and one of her biggest decisions , were rewarded over and over again and she was alive to hear it.
That even now, over 50 years later, people were still thanking her for having a backbone..

Rest in peace.. oh.. yeah she will. :-)
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2005 08:29 am
I found this poem for Rosa Parks. I wonder if she ever read it, or has it saved with the many other tributes made to her courage.

I Ain't Moving: Poem for Rosa Parks

By Fianah, Grade 7, Peshine Ave. University Prep Junior High School, Newark, New Jersey, USA

Get on the bus
No smile, just a frown
I'm tired, I'm hot
And I can't sit down
Well, I guess I could sit down
If I wanted to sit in the back
Plenty of seats in the front
Now i dont understand that!
I paid my fare
Full fair in fact
But I can't sit in the front
Only the back
"Rome wasnt built in a day," my momma once said
"You must follow your heart,"
"and fight with your head."
We're in a battle that we will continue to lose
unless someone stands up,
or someone don't move!v Well it's another day and here comes the bus
I've made up my mind
I'm gonna do this for us!
I get on the bus and go straight for the seat
sit down; dress spread out real neat
look around, ALL EYES ON ME!
"Get up gal!"
I heard the white man yell
I wanted to tell him to go straight to hell
but intead I said (with my voice real soothing
"No sir, I'm tired and I ain't moving."
Well, I didn't move
I kid you not
and the more I sat
the madder he got
I still didn't move and the yelling didn't stop
and when I did I had help from the cops
Yeah, they took me to jail
but that was just fine
I had used my head and followed my mind.
Well, 45 years later
it's a brand new day
you can sit in the front seat every day.
Listen to me children
listen to me well
to the words I say, not just the story I tell
believe in yourself
to your beliefs be true.
Don't let nobody walk over you.
Some battles are winning ones
while others may be losing,
but stand your ground, keep your faith
and tell them YOU AIN'T MOVING
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2005 11:31 am
Angelique, that was a moving and beautiful tribute you just shared. And to think it was written by a 7th grader no less!

I am very sorry she is gone, but her legacy shall live with us forever.
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2005 01:59 pm
Very Happy
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2005 05:32 pm
She had a quiet dignity that couldn't be ignored. She redefined 'civil disobedience'. Rest in peace, Rosa.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2005 04:11 am
It was reported in a Uk paper today and i read what she did.All I can say is good on her, we need more people like her in this world.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2005 01:27 am
With all these BS films of late (post-9/11) with muscled-caped-gadgeted super-heroes the US of A should remember that heroes really are made from the unlikeliest people in the unlikeliest places, at the unlikeliest times.

http://www.americaslibrary.gov/assets/jb/modern/jb_modern_parks_1_e.jpg
Rosa Parks, American Hero
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2005 01:30 am
Citation for the image..

CREDIT: Associated Press Photo. "Woman Fingerprinted. Mrs. Rosa Parks, Negro Seamstress, Whose Refusal to Move to the Back of a Bus Touched Off the Bus Boycott in Montgomery, Alabama." 1956. New York World-Telegram & Sun Collection, Prints and Photographs Division, Library of Congress.
source
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2005 08:28 am
Tip of the hat, in memory.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2005 08:34 am
That's a great picture, Mr. Stillwater. Love her posture, the set of her jaw, the mild manner but slight contempt at the corner of her mouth.
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2005 08:36 am
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/fe/Parkstoday.jpgRosa Parks given unprecedented honour

Gary Younge in New York
Saturday October 29, 2005
The Guardian

The late civil rights activist Rosa Parks will be the first woman to lie in honour in the United States Capitol Rotunda - a tribute formerly reserved for presidents, soldiers and prominent politicians.

Ms Parks, who died on Monday, aged 92, will be only the second African American to receive this distinction, allowing visitors to the capital to file past her casket tomorrow as they did for Ronald Reagan's last year.

She became one of the most revered figures of the civil rights era after refusing to give up her seat to a white man on a bus in Montgomery, Alabama, in December 1955. Her subsequent arrest prompted a boycott of local buses that lasted for more than a year, led by Martin Luther King, who was then unknown. The following 10 years would see a huge, mostly non-violent struggle for African Americans' right to vote and an end to segregation.
0 Replies