Good sources RE: Alcoholism + aging?

flushd

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2005 12:21 pm
Hi. I've been trying to do some research on alcoholism and the degenerative/long term effects as someone gets older. If anyone else knows some reliable sources, links, etc. I'd really appreciate it.

I'm thinking about this long-term concerning my mum. She is only 48 but has been a hard-core alcoholic for the majority of her life. In last fews years she has gotten better (no formal treatment). She still drinks, and gets drunk on occasion, but handles life a lot better.
Anyways, I have noticed a big change in her over the course of around 6 years. So has my family, and her friends. A friend even went so far as to ask her to go to neuro guy. She refuses. Hell, she refuses to even see a doctor when she's ill! My brother has said to me frankly "Mum's got brain damage and it's getting really bad. Sometimes she acts a little retarded".
Though that could come across insensitive, it's his account of her declining mental abilities. And I notice too. It's scary; and I don't know what I will do if something happens.

Mum doesn't make a lot of money, and she doesn't have any savings or plan for when she gets older. She has this attitude about everything "Well, I guess we'll deal with it If it comes up". It's very frustrating. Her spouse passed away one year ago, she now lives alone, and I worry about her constantly. I am the first born, the daughter: I want to make plans NOW to make sure she is taken care of in the future. I am not rich myself; but I could work something out.

Thanks
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,241 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2005 08:07 pm
My deepest sympathies go out to you, flushd. As a 66 year old alcoholic in recovery, I know what booze does to the brain cells over a prolonged period of time from personal experience. Alcohol destroys brain cells. Period. The good news is that they do regenreate, i.e. grow back. But, of course, if they're being destroyed at a rate faster than the regenerative rate, that's meaningless. That's why the only recourse for the alcoholic is to stop drinking cold turkey. I did that a little over 10 years ago, won't touch the stuff now. I have a life today that is, in every way, the best I've experienced so far. It's amazing how clearly one can think and how much one can accomplish when unhampered by alcohol or drugs. I do hope your mom sees the light before she gets too much older. You can probably help. I suggest you contact AlAnon, if there is a group in your area and go to a couple of meetings. You'll get insights on how others are dealing with the problem of alcoholic family members. The very best of luck to you and your mom both, very sincerely.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2005 08:41 pm
do you have PM flushed?
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2005 12:16 pm
Thank you Merry.

shewolf, I've never used pm at this forum. So I'm not sure if I do or not. I'll check it out...I haven't explored that aspect here yet. silly me.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 03:14 pm
Flushd--

I just saw this post.

AlAnon sounds like a good idea for you. You'll meet people with similar problems and people who may have contacts with local resources.

Does your mother have health insurance?

What would her reaction be to a formal Intervention meeting of family and friends? Would any family or friends be able to help in any way or is this problem your problem?

Are you worried about her physical safety?

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2006 04:00 pm
http://www.eirpharm.com/alcohol_long_effects.php

http://science.howstuffworks.com/alcohol.htm/printable

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/alcoholism.html

flushd-Here are some articles to get you started. If you think that your mother is having neurological problems, you might want to have her evaluated. If I were you, I would insist on it.

You might also talk to her about designating a power of attorney and health care surrogate. If she becomes unable to make decisions for herself in the future, it is important that there is someone who can do this for her.

How are you doing, girl? Feeling back to your old self?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 11 Feb, 2006 12:56 pm
flushd--

Has your situation improved? Deteriorated?
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Sat 11 Feb, 2006 03:56 pm
Oof! Thanks everyone. This is still a big concern for me.

I am seriously looking into AlAnon and considering it now. I had heard about it before, but was so wrapped up in my own "I don't have the problem! She does!" etc etc that I wouldn't go.
But now it's different. I'm not so angry anymore, I just want what is best for her, now and in the future.

I have begun recruiting family and friends; basically just talking openly about my concerns and giving them an opportunity to air their own. It's good- I don't feel like it is entirely on my shoulders, she has so many people who care about her. Collectively, we are figuring out an action plan.

With the help of some of her friends (I'm so sly, huh?)
Laughing , we managed to get her to agree to go to the doctor. She's been through a lot of tests. There is some damage, but it is managable. I think she was frightened to go....and equally frightened to hear the results. I have to admit I was too (I wouldn't let her see that though!). It feels better though to know where things stand. She still is not able to admit that she does - or ever - had a problem with drinking. She neutralizes anything negative and avoids it. It's frustrating.

Yes, the more I write here , the more I'm convinced I need to go talk to the good folks at AlAnon. I have my own issues with this, and I need to be in the best possible place to be there for her.

Thanks again.

Oh, Noddy, no she does not have health insurance. Thinking about how things will be in 10-20 + years time is a bit overwelming and frightening at this point. My hope, right now, is that us (her family and loved ones, and hopefully her) will be able to work out a plan that she is happy with.....that would mean some level of security for her. I dream (as I'm sure she does) that she will be able to have a comfortable retirement one day. She may HAVE to retire.......and that is why this is so urgent in my mind.
0 Replies