The E x p a n d i n g Being (Paradigms)

BrianT

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 06:19 pm
The Expanding Being
10/19/05
"Do not assume anything," said Yoda to Obi-Wan Kenobi.

A paradigm's critical feature is its set of assumptions, a.k.a. axioms. If someone changes an axiom or lets it fall away, the paradigm is turned upside down. When Galileo let the axiom of the earth being the center of the universe fall away, the paradigm shifted. When Einstein let the axiom of the universe being a flat Euclidean space fall away, the paradigm shifted.

The more axioms you have, the more limited your perspective is. An axiom is a condition or governing rule about something. The more conditions you set, the narrower your vision. For example, if you place the condition on speed in the form of the sound "barrier," you are closed to the reality which is that the speed of sound is not a limit on speed. In the extreme case when the number of axioms becomes large, you run the risk of having two axioms contradict each other. If your set of axioms contains a statement and its opposite, you can then literally derive every statement as true.

On the other hand, the fewer conditions you set, i.e., axioms you have, the more expanded your perspective is. It's a lot like playing chess with fewer and fewer rules: more moves are then possible, translating by analogy to more freedom to see more. With the exception of two contradictory axioms, the fewer axioms you have translates into fewer things being true. True in the sense of either being an axiom or being derivable from the axioms or other true statements. Note that in that statement there are axioms behind what is derivable in a so-called correct manner, such as in the Aristotelian sense.

If you have no axioms, if you don't presume anything, then your perspective is unlimited. Your mind has total freedom. Truth has to be left undefined for it doesn't fit the old criteria of being either an axiom or something "correctly" derivable from either axioms or other true statements.

This is the progression of an expanding being.

Finally, a list of some axioms:
1. in order for a statement to be true, there must be proof;
2. all concepts have an opposite concept;
3. you are your ego;
4. you are your body;
5. sometimes belief/faith is knowledge;
6. knowing about something is knowing something;
7. the universe operates on binary logic, etc.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,193 • Replies: 13
No top replies

Nietzsche

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 10:22 pm
Re: The E x p a n d i n g Being (Paradigms)
BrianT wrote:
If you have no axioms, if you don't presume anything, then your perspective is unlimited. Your mind has total freedom. Truth has to be left undefined for it doesn't fit the old criteria of being either an axiom or something "correctly" derivable from either axioms or other true statements.

This is the progression of an expanding being.

With all respect to the first three paragraphs, this is the only one with real substance. And I completely agree. Nice work.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2005 06:32 am
The progression of an expanding being. I like that.

I've had similar thoughts, and concluded that it is important to be a spirit in growth, as a counterweight to the inevitable decay of the body. Find your spiritual identity, and your need for axioms will decrease, since you are able to maintain perspective independent of whatever problems you're facing.

but...
Quote:

1. in order for a statement to be true, there must be proof;
2. all concepts have an opposite concept;
3. you are your ego;
4. you are your body;
5. sometimes belief/faith is knowledge;
6. knowing about something is knowing something;
7. the universe operates on binary logic, etc.

For no. 1. I'd say that truth is truth regardless of proof. Proof is something one needs to learn what is true, but if it's unprooved it might still be true.

2. Does all concepts have an oposite concept? I think that our perspective gives us this illution, in that we only see halves at a time.

3/4. Your ego and your body are both illutions. We are them, sure, but they do not make up the total sum of our beings. I am more inclined to say that we are the sub-consciousness. The waking ego can never encompass this all at once.

5. Agreed. The capacity for faith is can be said to be knowledge.

6. Even if what you know is wrong? Is ignorance knowledge?

7. Say that we understand the universe through binary logic. For now anyway. Who knows what the future will bring? We might come to understand it differently.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2005 10:58 am
BrianT wrote:
The more axioms you have, the more limited your perspective is.

You can't be serious. Fanatics have limited axioms, and their perspectives are as narrow as can be imagined. Scientists, on the other hand, have tons of axioms, and they've greatly expanded the limits of knowledge.

BrianT wrote:
An axiom is a condition or governing rule about something. The more conditions you set, the narrower your vision. For example, if you place the condition on speed in the form of the sound "barrier," you are closed to the reality which is that the speed of sound is not a limit on speed.

That's a bit like saying that if you are a firm believer in gravity, you are closed to the "reality" of falling up. Axioms are typically not just theoretical constructs, they are substantiated by empirical testing. Few scientists would take it on faith that the speed of sound in dry air at normal atmospheric pressure is approximately 750 mph, and that they have accepted the speed of sound as axiomatic does not limit their perspectives, it enhances them. That's why we know more than the savages who think that thunder is the sound of the gods playing duck pins.

BrianT wrote:
In the extreme case when the number of axioms becomes large, you run the risk of having two axioms contradict each other. If your set of axioms contains a statement and its opposite, you can then literally derive every statement as true.

No you can't.

BrianT wrote:
On the other hand, the fewer conditions you set, i.e., axioms you have, the more expanded your perspective is.

Just the opposite.

BrianT wrote:
It's a lot like playing chess with fewer and fewer rules: more moves are then possible, translating by analogy to more freedom to see more.

Bad analogy. The fewer rules you play with, the more the game isn't chess.

BrianT wrote:
With the exception of two contradictory axioms, the fewer axioms you have translates into fewer things being true. True in the sense of either being an axiom or being derivable from the axioms or other true statements. Note that in that statement there are axioms behind what is derivable in a so-called correct manner, such as in the Aristotelian sense.

I agree. But then why would you prefer a world in which fewer things were true?

BrianT wrote:

If you have no axioms, then there's no point in talking about "truth," including the truth that there are no axioms.
0 Replies

BrianT

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2005 05:33 pm
Quote:
You can't be serious. Fanatics have limited axioms, and their perspectives are as narrow as can be imagined. Scientists, on the other hand, have tons of axioms, and they've greatly expanded the limits of knowledge.

It may be narrow because one axiom is that their way is the only way.

But a scientist is closed to the possibility of anything other than emperical data as constituting evidence. An axiom scientists have is that the scientific method correctly decides hypotheses. A scientist is closed to many possibilities simply because they think it's impossible. Yet they rarely, if ever, can prove something is impossible; so those are axioms.

BrianT wrote:
An axiom is a condition or governing rule about something. The more conditions you set, the narrower your vision. For example, if you place the condition on speed in the form of the sound "barrier," you are closed to the reality which is that the speed of sound is not a limit on speed.

Quote:
That's a bit like saying that if you are a firm believer in gravity, you are closed to the "reality" of falling up. Axioms are typically not just theoretical constructs, they are substantiated by empirical testing. Few scientists would take it on faith that the speed of sound in dry air at normal atmospheric pressure is approximately 750 mph, and that they have accepted the speed of sound as axiomatic does not limit their perspectives, it enhances them. That's why we know more than the savages who think that thunder is the sound of the gods playing duck pins.

Right. You are closed to that possibility. I never said that that was incorrect. That empirical testing can substantiate an axiom is itself an axiom.

BrianT wrote:
In the extreme case when the number of axioms becomes large, you run the risk of having two axioms contradict each other. If your set of axioms contains a statement and its opposite, you can then literally derive every statement as true.

Quote:
No you can't.

Yes, you can.
http://alixcomsi.com/CTG_02.htm wrote:
...every formula of an inconsistent P is a consequence of the Axioms and Rules of Inference of P.
See also Mathematical Logic by Ebbinghaus, Flum and Thomas.

BrianT wrote:
On the other hand, the fewer conditions you set, i.e., axioms you have, the more expanded your perspective is.

Quote:
Just the opposite.

If I had the opposite number of assumptions, i.e., many, then that reduces my vision. For example, if I assume I will never get a Phd, I am limiting my perspective. If I assume the axiom of foundations, I reduce the number of things that can be sets. If I assume there are 3 dimensions, I limit my ability to understand reality. If I assume that the scientific method corrctly decides hypotheses, I am not open to the possibility that there is a better method, a method in which no scientific thoery is ever seen as false down the road. When I assume X is true, then I am closed to the possibility that X is not true. Then consider increasing the number of X's then I get closed to more and more things, rather than more and more open to things.

BrianT wrote:
It's a lot like playing chess with fewer and fewer rules: more moves are then possible, translating by analogy to more freedom to see more.

Quote:
Bad analogy. The fewer rules you play with, the more the game isn't chess.

I'm not interested in the fact that if you change the rules then it's not chess. That's the point. What's "moving" in my scenario are precisely thoughts. When you have more axioms, your thoughts are constrained to fit with those axioms. When you release the number of axioms you have, the "board pieces" (your thoughts) have total freedom. Hell, they don't even have to stay on the board at all. Imagine the freedom to think whatever you want by assuming nothing.

BrianT wrote:
With the exception of two contradictory axioms, the fewer axioms you have translates into fewer things being true. True in the sense of either being an axiom or being derivable from the axioms or other true statements. Note that in that statement there are axioms behind what is derivable in a so-called correct manner, such as in the Aristotelian sense.

Quote:
I agree. But then why would you prefer a world in which fewer things were true?

You have to realize that truth, the word, is undefineable. Sure you can write out a dictionaries definition but it is a cirular definition. Of course that doesn't mean it exists. And it's not that I would prefer a world with fewer things being true; it's that I'm realizing that's the world we already live in. It's not the answer I wanted nor am comfortable with.

BrianT wrote:

Quote:
If you have no axioms, then there's no point in talking about "truth," including the truth that there are no axioms.

Exactly. It's like talking about the concept of BLALL. We might as well be saying
"1+1=2" is BLALL and "1+1=0" is "not" BLALL.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2005 12:21 am
BrianT wrote:

Which is what you are suggesting we should all do.

BrianT wrote:
But a scientist is closed to the possibility of anything other than emperical data as constituting evidence. An axiom scientists have is that the scientific method correctly decides hypotheses.

A hypothesis doesn't make any sense if it is divorced from the scientific method.

BrianT wrote:
A scientist is closed to many possibilities simply because they think it's impossible. Yet they rarely, if ever, can prove something is impossible; so those are axioms.

Proving empirically that something is "impossible" is impossible -- read Hume. Proving that a theory is "false," however, is the basis of science.

BrianT wrote:
Right. You are closed to that possibility. I never said that that was incorrect. That empirical testing can substantiate an axiom is itself an axiom.

And you're willing to discard that axiom?

BrianT wrote:
Yes, you can.
...every formula of an inconsistent P is a consequence of the Axioms and Rules of Inference of P.

No need. You said that "If your set of axioms contains a statement and its opposite, you can then literally derive every statement as true." But that could only be true if you did not adhere to the law of non-contradiction. On the other hand, if you reject the law of non-contradiction, then any statement can be true regardless of how many contradictory axioms you might have.

BrianT wrote:
If I had the opposite number of assumptions, i.e., many, then that reduces my vision. For example, if I assume I will never get a Phd, I am limiting my perspective. If I assume the axiom of foundations, I reduce the number of things that can be sets. If I assume there are 3 dimensions, I limit my ability to understand reality. If I assume that the scientific method corrctly decides hypotheses, I am not open to the possibility that there is a better method, a method in which no scientific thoery is ever seen as false down the road. When I assume X is true, then I am closed to the possibility that X is not true. Then consider increasing the number of X's then I get closed to more and more things, rather than more and more open to things.

No doubt, and if you no longer assume that gravity exists you might float up to the ceiling. Everything might be an illusion, a dream within a dream. But some illusions, like gravity, are remarkably persistent.

BrianT wrote:
I'm not interested in the fact that if you change the rules then it's not chess. That's the point. What's "moving" in my scenario are precisely thoughts. When you have more axioms, your thoughts are constrained to fit with those axioms. When you release the number of axioms you have, the "board pieces" (your thoughts) have total freedom. Hell, they don't even have to stay on the board at all. Imagine the freedom to think whatever you want by assuming nothing.

Or, to put it another way, the best way to know something is to know nothing. I doubt even you believe that.

BrianT wrote:
You have to realize that truth, the word, is undefineable.

Is that a true statement?

BrianT wrote:
Sure you can write out a dictionaries definition but it is a cirular definition. Of course that doesn't mean it exists. And it's not that I would prefer a world with fewer things being true; it's that I'm realizing that's the world we already live in. It's not the answer I wanted nor am comfortable with.

Hunh?

BrianT wrote:
Exactly. It's like talking about the concept of BLALL. We might as well be saying

If you have no basis for establishing that something is "true," why should I care what you say?
0 Replies

Nietzsche

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2005 12:36 am
I gotta say, Joe's kicking your ass, Brian.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Sun 23 Oct, 2005 01:21 am
BrianT,

Welcome to A2K.

Your no.7 about binary logic is both your strength and your weakness.

Its strength lies in its transcendent quality which captures nondualistic trends in physics and the life sciences. However by partially using "logic" yourself as is the convention in most "communication" you become a potential target for those with vested interests in their powers of traditional rhetoric.

The understanding of transcendent positions on "being" tends to be ineffable. No amount of "pointing at the moon" will reveal "the moon" to those who are fixated on "the finger".
0 Replies

BrianT

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 10:22 am
joefromchicago wrote:
BrianT wrote:

Quote:
Which is what you are suggesting we should all do.

Absoutely not. I just listed three modes of operation. I never said being closed to possibilities is wrong. It just limits your perspective and now if you judge that to be a bad thing, then that's your choice. You're putting words in my mouth.

BrianT wrote:
But a scientist is closed to the possibility of anything other than emperical data as constituting evidence. An axiom scientists have is that the scientific method correctly decides hypotheses.

Quote:
A hypothesis doesn't make any sense if it is divorced from the scientific method.[/qoute]
Are you assuming that I think that making an assumption is wrong or incorrect?

BrianT wrote:
A scientist is closed to many possibilities simply because they think it's impossible. Yet they rarely, if ever, can prove something is impossible; so those are axioms.

Quote:
Proving empirically that something is "impossible" is impossible -- read Hume. Proving that a theory is "false," however, is the basis of science.

That's what I meant: it is impossible to prove that something is impossible.

BrianT wrote:

Quote:
And you're willing to discard that axiom?

I'm not advocating either keeping it or not. Just realizing that it is an axiom without judging it as right or wrong.

BrianT wrote:
Yes, you can.

Quote:

No need. You said that "If your set of axioms contains a statement and its opposite, you can then literally derive every statement as true." But that could only be true if you did not adhere to the law of non-contradiction. On the other hand, if you reject the law of non-contradiction, then any statement can be true regardless of how many contradictory axioms you might have.

If you look at a truth table... Let P and ~P be to axioms. What I mean is that P^~P implies any statement Q. Keep in mind that if the antecedent of a conidtional is "false" then the conditional is true.

BrianT wrote:

Quote:

No doubt, and if you no longer assume that gravity exists you might float up to the ceiling. Everything might be an illusion, a dream within a dream. But some illusions, like gravity, are remarkably persistent.

Like I said before, I'm not judging a narrow perspective with many axioms. These are just an editorial about axioms, not a prescription.

BrianT wrote:

Quote:
Or, to put it another way, the best way to know something is to know nothing. I doubt even you believe that.

That really isn't putting it another way. I never mentioned knowledge on this point; I'm talking about assumptions.

Quote:
BrianT wrote:
You have to realize that truth, the word, is undefineable.

Is that a true statement?
What do you mean by "true"?

BrianT wrote:
Sure you can write out a dictionaries definition but it is a cirular definition. Of course that doesn't mean it exists. And it's not that I would prefer a world with fewer things being true; it's that I'm realizing that's the world we already live in. It's not the answer I wanted nor am comfortable with.

Quote:
Hunh?

I made a typo. "Of course that doesn't mean that doesn't exist. IE Truth can very well exist even though it is undefinable.

BrianT wrote:

Quote:
If you have no basis for establishing that something is "true," why should I care what you say?

That's a question you should have asked yourself from the beginning.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 11:24 am
BrianT wrote:
Absoutely not. I just listed three modes of operation. I never said being closed to possibilities is wrong. It just limits your perspective and now if you judge that to be a bad thing, then that's your choice. You're putting words in my mouth.

If you're not recommending one mode of operation over the others, then what is your point?

BrianT wrote:
Are you assuming that I think that making an assumption is wrong or incorrect?

I assumed nothing. I merely stated that a hypothesis doesn't make any sense if it is divorced from the scientific method.

BrianT wrote:
That's what I meant: it is impossible to prove that something is impossible.

Then what you are saying has been said many times before.

BrianT wrote:
I'm not advocating either keeping it or not. Just realizing that it is an axiom without judging it as right or wrong.

I have no idea what you're talking about.

BrianT wrote:
If you look at a truth table... Let P and ~P be to axioms. What I mean is that P^~P implies any statement Q. Keep in mind that if the antecedent of a conidtional is "false" then the conditional is true.

If both P and ~P are true, then they are not genuine contradictories.

BrianT wrote:
Like I said before, I'm not judging a narrow perspective with many axioms. These are just an editorial about axioms, not a prescription.

Sorry, I thought you were actually attempting to say something worthwhile.

BrianT wrote:
That really isn't putting it another way. I never mentioned knowledge on this point; I'm talking about assumptions.

What are assumptions based upon if not knowledge?

BrianT wrote:
What do you mean by "true"?

I leave it up to you to decide if your own statement was "true" under whatever definition of "true" you might choose.

BrianT wrote:
I made a typo. "Of course that doesn't mean that doesn't exist. IE Truth can very well exist even though it is undefinable.

If truth is undefinable how would we know if it existed or not?

BrianT wrote:
Quote:

That's a question you should have asked yourself from the beginning.

And you've provided the answer.
0 Replies

BrianT

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2005 02:02 pm
sorry about the grammar mistakes...
BrianT wrote:

Quote:
If both P and ~P are true, then they are not genuine contradictories.

Your terminology is a bit strange. In the original post, I said that if P and ~P are axioms, then literally every statement is true. This is something that's well known.

For example, let's consider group theory. In group theory, there are 4 axioms. Note that when you add more axioms, you can get a ring, for example. Note that every ring is a group but not every group is a ring. So if we denote the class of all rings by RINGS and likewise for GROUPS, this says that RINGS is a proper subset of GROUPS. Then that means adding axioms narrows the possibilities.

I don't know what about
Quote:
is unclear. Maybe you can pinpoint it?
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2005 08:35 am
BrianT wrote:
Your terminology is a bit strange. In the original post, I said that if P and ~P are axioms, then literally every statement is true. This is something that's well known.

No, in your original post you said: "In the extreme case when the number of axioms becomes large, you run the risk of having two axioms contradict each other. If your set of axioms contains a statement and its opposite, you can then literally derive every statement as true." If two axioms purportedly contradict each other but which are nevertheless both true, then they are not genuine contradictories. In other words, the contradiction is apparent rather than real. If, for instance, the statements "all As are Bs" and "all As are not-Bs" are both true, then they are not contradictories.
0 Replies

yequalx

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2005 08:52 am
i agree with the writer of 'the expanding being'..

though many things have been tackled on for centuries, most have already been disproven.. some correct conclusions are certain proofs that can be taken into consideration but they cannot be totally correct; proper credit could be made, yet there is much more things that need to be taken note of as things progress..

as they say, it'll be done, and another one in..
0 Replies

yequalx

Reply Sat 5 Nov, 2005 08:52 am
i agree with the writer of 'the expanding being'..

though many things have been tackled on for centuries, most have already been disproven.. some correct conclusions are certain proofs that can be taken into consideration but they cannot be totally correct; proper credit could be made, yet there is much more things that need to be taken note of as things progress..

as they say, it'll be done, and another one in..
0 Replies