Oh-ho dream weaver, I believe you owe me a trip to Target

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 01:54 pm
Mo gets up in the morning telling me about his dreams.

Fine! Cool! Great!

Except sometimes he dreams about his favorite cartoon characters and he thinks these dreams are real and then he wants the video.

I learned this the hard way when he wanted the movie where Bob the Builder goes to Sandy Beach and Lofty gets hurt (by Bob, no less).

I knew this was not a movie that we had. I thought maybe he'd seen it somewhere else. I tried to find out where he saw it. "When I was sleeping" he replies. I try to explain the difference between a dream and a movie but he insists. Every time we go to the store he wants to look for the movie. I read him the synopsis off the back of the Bob movies. He rejects each one.

(No he doesn't get everything he wants so don't even go there.)

Today he wants the movie where Thomas the Tank Engine gets beaten up by a monkey.

I have a gut instinct that ole' Reverend Whatsit never wrote a story where Thomas gets clobbered by a monkey.

Sure enough. Another dream.

My explainations of why his dreams are not available on video or DVD are met with disbelief.

Whats a girl to do?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 663 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 02:27 pm
Mo sounds like such a bright creative kid! I know this stuff is always hard for you as a parent but it makes me giggle. He's such a cutie!
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 02:34 pm
Tell him he must have the natural ability to write stories for movies since he is able to see everything so well in his dreams. It is a gift.. so he should start writting his dreams down and giving them to you to send in to Thomas the Tank producers.
I mean... where does he think the OTHER cartoons came from?
;-)
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 02:36 pm
Maybe he needs to get with Sozlet about how to hire someone to be in his head that can tell truth from lies.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 03:09 pm
Mo's a goofball alright. I really don't think he's any goofier than any other kid (they're all goofy, complete fruitcakes, insane). I think I just talk about his goofy more than most. It helps balance out his other kind of insanity.

Sounds like the sozlet is gearing up for a career in politics. Perhaps we should refer to her as Madam President from now on.

shewolf, Mo's nickname for a while was "Mr. Scriptwriter". He would assign lines to me and Mr. B. It was always complete nonsense. Very flying circus. Perhaps this will be his calling after all!
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 03:21 pm
maybe,offering the " hey you should write that down" tactic may help him to learn to distinguish his dreams from reality..?

he sounds like a ton of fun though!
He WAS a ton of fun. ;-)
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 07:00 pm
Ummmm.....

Now I just a bit worried that nobody else has had this problem.

Maybe this is something weird.....

He can become a real nag about finding the particular movie.

Maybe the nagging is the issue....

Maybe I'm over-reacting.....
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 07:22 pm
does he realize it was just a dream?
Or is he just pushing your buttons trying to prove you wrong?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 07:28 pm
I'm trying to think of how I'd react to that.

Don't think we've had that specific situation.

I'd probably listen to the whole tale, actively ("Wow, and then what did the monkey do???"), and then when he asks to see it, say someting like, "I think you can see it in your brain whenever you want, but I'm not sure it exists anyplace else, sweetie. I'll keep an eye out for it, though, just in case." And then just mild and steadfast until it passes. (We haven't experienced this exact thing but many in the general category, and it does seem to pass after a while...)

The key seems to not be YES or NO but listening and sharing what you think is more or less likely, while not closing the door entirely.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 07:31 pm
If he weren't so convinced that we could find the movie I'd think he was pushing buttons.

If I thought that at four he was capable of thinking out something that far in advance and that complex I'd think he was just pushing my buttons.

He does seem to know the difference between dreams and reality -- we've talked about dreams for a long time because of Winnie.

I even posted that one photo with a "dream quote" and he seemed to know the difference there.

I know that I have some dreams that are more vivid and realistic than others so I can't imagine why he wouldn't experience the same sort of thing.

Maybe I worry a bit because it always seems to be dreams about someone being beaten up that he wants to find the movie for....

If two dreams are enough to make a prediction from....

Mom brain is different from girl brain.

Hm.
0 Replies