Need help dyeing Halloween costume

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 01:18 am
It's my daughter's first halloween - she's almost 4 months. I have the cutest little outfit for her - she's going to be a bumblebee Laughing My problem is that I ordered her outfit over the Internet, and it's a lot flimsier than it looked online. I can't take her out in it without some kind of underclothing - like a longsleeved bodysuit and leggings. The catch is that they have to be black! I've searched high & low for these, with no luck.

So, I am considering dyeing one of her white bodysuits and leggings into black. EXCEPT - I have not the foggiest on how to go about it. Can anyone help with this? I guess I'm looking for a dyeing 'recipe' - including where to buy dye (safe for dyeing a baby's clothes - some kind of organic dye I'm guessing), and also - HOW to dye.

I'll be grateful for any help. Thank you!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 797 • Replies: 7
No top replies

material girl

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 02:05 am
www.dylon.co.uk

I dont know if they distribute around the world but they are a well known brand in the UK.
I think the site will have some information for yuo.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 06:41 am
Use a slop sink (in the basement) for dyeing. If you don't have one, you'll need to use the bath tub or a sink and then wash it really well afterwards, so it's best, if you have access to one, to just use a sink that you don't care about if it gets stained. Oh, if you don't have a slop sink, another option is a stainless steel sink, it won't absorb dye whereas porcelain can and will.

There are, of course, directions on any package of dye. RIT is a brand I've seen for sale in the supermarket here. I'm sure they've got plenty of competitors. I have done tie-dyeing in the sink. You just toss the dye into the sink with water, mix it up and throw the garment into the liquid. Let it absorb the liquid and then hang it up to dry. If you have an outside clothesline, that's best, as the dye will drip. If you don't, you'll need to put any number of towels or paper towels or whatever underneath while line drying. It is possible to dry the garment in a dryer but the problem with doing that is that you can end up with dye in your dryer and you don't want that.

The more concentrated the mixture, the darker the color.

Oh yeah, vegetable dye? I have no idea where you'd get that, and you're talking about a garment your child will wear only once, so why not just dye it with whatever and then discard the garment after Halloween? Unless you figure there will be an allergic reaction, this would be the most expedient thing to do.
0 Replies

lmsabm

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 02:16 pm
I know rit is a good dye to use. It has the instructions on/in the box. And, just wash it once or twice before putting it on your baby--as you would after using ANY dye. That will help remove the extra chemicals, hence, decreacing your baby's chance of an allergic reaction.
0 Replies

Heatwave

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 03:48 pm
Thanks for all your very helpful responses.

Jespah, I will look for RIT in our local Safeway & Walmart. Thanks for the 'how to' tips as well. I will tell you how it goes.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 09:50 pm
Rit is the most common brand of dye available in the US. It's sold in most grocery stores.

Natural fibers take dye much better and more evenly than blends. 100% polyester will probably never get past gray, even with multiple dye sessions. So cotton is your best bet. (I'm assuming you don't have silk undergarments for your infant! But silk dyes really well.) Be careful what you wash or dry the garment with for several wash cycles. The dye will continue to come off every time you wash or dry the garment. Just like new blue jeans...
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 10:32 am
Have you checked resale stores? I had a similar situation when my daughter was little, was going to dye something (for a halloween costume too I think) but was daunted by the potential mess and went to a local children's resale store and they had everything I needed (cheap!). "Once Upon a Child" is a chain and where I went I think, but there are a lot of similar ones.
0 Replies

Heatwave

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 04:47 pm
Mac, yes, I'm thinking of dyeing her cotton pajamas - I'm hoping they come out really black because I don't want to 'spoil the effect.' And no, no silk underclothes. Smile

Sozobe, thanks for the tip. I found two resale stores in our vicinity - will go look.
0 Replies