Cheney 'cabal' hijacked foreign policy

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 11:03 pm
Cheney 'cabal' hijacked foreign policy
By Edward Alden in Washington
Published: October 20 2005

Vice-President Dick Cheney and a handful of others had hijacked the government's foreign policy apparatus, deciding in secret to carry out policies that had left the US weaker and more isolated in the world, the top aide to former Secretary of State Colin Powell claimed on Wednesday.

In a scathing attack on the record of President George W. Bush, Colonel Lawrence Wilkerson, chief of staff to Mr Powell until last January, said: "What I saw was a cabal between the vice-president of the United States, Richard Cheney, and the secretary of defense, Donald Rumsfeld, on critical issues that made decisions that the bureaucracy did not know were being made.

"Now it is paying the consequences of making those decisions in secret, but far more telling to me is America is paying the consequences."

Mr Wilkerson said such secret decision-making was responsible for mistakes such as the long refusal to engage with North Korea or to back European efforts on Iran. It also resulted in bitter battles in the administration among those excluded from the decisions.

"If you're not prepared to stop the feuding elements in the bureaucracy as they carry out your decisions, you are courting disaster. And I would say that we have courted disaster in Iraq, in North Korea, in Iran."

The comments, made at the New America Foundation, a Washington think-tank, were the harshest attack on the administration by a former senior official since criticisms by Richard Clarke, former White House terrorism czar, and Paul O'Neill, former Treasury secretary, early last year.

Mr Wilkerson said his decision to go public had led to a personal falling out with Mr Powell, whom he served for 16 years at the Pentagon and the State Department.

"He's not happy with my speaking out because, and I admire this in him, he is the world's most loyal soldier."

Among his other charges:

■ The detainee abuse at Abu Ghraib and elsewhere was "a concrete example" of the decision-making problem, with the president and other top officials in effect giving the green light to soldiers to abuse detainees. "You don't have this kind of pervasive attitude out there unless you've condoned it."

■ Condoleezza Rice, the former national security adviser and now secretary of state, was "part of the problem". Instead of ensuring that Mr Bush received the best possible advice, "she would side with the president to build her intimacy with the president".

■ The military, particularly the army and marine corps, is overstretched and demoralised. Officers, Mr Wilkerson claimed, "start voting with their feet, as they did in Vietnam. . . and all of a sudden your military begins to unravel".

Mr Wilkerson said former president George H.W. Bush "one of the finest presidents we have ever had" understood how to make foreign policy work. In contrast, he said, his son was "not versed in international relations and not too much interested in them either".

"There's a vast difference between the way George H.W. Bush dealt with major challenges, some of the greatest challenges at the end of the 20th century, and effected positive results in my view, and the way we conduct diplomacy today."

Transcript: Colonel Lawrence Wilkerson:
http://news.ft.com/cms/s/c925a686-40f4-11da-b3f9-00000e2511c8.html

Find this article at:
http://news.ft.com/cms/s/afdb7b0c-40f3-11da-b3f9-00000e2511c8,ft_acl=,s01=1.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,957 • Replies: 53
No top replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 11:27 pm
Regardless of how far reaching Fitzgerald's expansion goes, there is an extremely good reason for his investigation to grow in this direction. It is simple. Karen Kwiatkowski. Some might call her the missing link that could implode the Bush administration's house of deceptive and treasonous cards.

Kwiatkowski is probably not Fitzgerald's reason for questioning a majority of the White House Iraq Group (WHIG), for chances are that like most other American's he is unaware of who she is. But if he knew her story, he just might indict the entire neoconservative administration. Seriously.

Despite blowing her whistle in the Media Education Foundation's (MEF) 2004 documentary film Hijacking Catastrophe, Kwiatkowski's story has sat idle in the cellars of the corporate media, hopelessly buried in dust alongside so many other vital, yet unreported stories.

However, through the gracious assistance of MEF, Arianna Huffington's willingness to promote Karen's story and ask me (someone who isn't even a journalist) to blog about it, I am happy to reach into the dank cellar of journalistic void, dust off Karen's story and let it glisten in the rich mosaic of truth that it is.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 05:08 am
What have I told you about putting stock in the terroristic rantings of those liberal rags?
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 06:10 am
Bout time the truth started being published.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 06:19 am
But who will determine that it is the truth?
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 06:23 am
I know you like to play devils advocate, Sturgis, but the truth, as stated in the second article, has been out there for everyone to see as it was being enacted. Those that keep themselves informed have been aware of the agenda for some time now.

Are you suggesting the PNAC and other papers created in the 90's and now being implimented by the same people that wrote them is just chance? Coincidence?
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 06:29 am
Yes, but you see this means you are taking the second article as being the truth. What if I don't see it as such?

As for coincidence it does exist and the possibility of such is always just that...a possibility, which of course gives us the possibility of coincidence (or perhaps the coincidence of possibility and timing).
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 06:38 am
I think as the rats (figurative, not personal) jump ship as Clark, Powells chief of staff Wilkerson and others have done, more will come to light.

I don't think the integrity of those talking is in question. (If it is, why did they hold such positions?) I'm also sure as the sun will rise tomorrow that the talking points on Wilkersons integrity are being written at this very moment.

We'll see. Just remember where you heard it, and that we love you even when you're wrong. Very Happy
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 06:50 am
Wrong? Me? Now there's a first Rolling Eyes .
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 08:32 am
Sturgis
Sturgis wrote:
What have I told you about putting stock in the terroristic rantings of those liberal rags?

Brian Wheeler is the BBC News political reporter and has a good reputation.

BBB
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 10:53 am
Arianna Huffington Bio

Memo to Bill Keller: The War in Iraq is NOT a "Loose End" http://www.huffingtonpost.com/arianna-huffington/memo-to-bill-keller-the-_b_9173.html
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 11:19 am
Now, that is a good column.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 11:42 am
Jane Hamsher Bio

Patrick Fitzgerald and the NeoCons

As rumors swirl that key NeoCons are frantically speed-dialing their lawyers in PlameGate, it's important to remember that if and when Richard Perle gets handed an indictment from Patrick Fitzgerald he is the only one we know of who will have to ask -- in what case? http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jane-hamsher/patrick-fitzgerald-and-th_b_9203.html
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 12:00 pm
Eat The Press

with Harry Shearer

Oversight--the Other Meaning
I've opined before here, based on nothing but my own nose for human perversity, that the real story behind the Plame outing story was the larger war between the Cheney wing of the Administration and the CIA, over who would bear the blame for the faulty intel used to market the Iraq War.

The Senate Intelligence Committee last year promised to release a phase two of its report on Iraq intel--the first part was finding fault with the intelligence community, the second was to be a look into administration use and misuse of intel--as long as phase two came after the November election. As best as can be determined, we're way after that election, and phase two has long been rumored to be on the back burner, if not having tumbled completely off the stove. Now, Laura Rozin in the American Prospect reports it's still alive, though on life support, but adds this provocative note:

...one source told the Prospect that (committee chairman Pat) Roberts has worked closely behind the scenes with Vice President Cheney's office in crafting the language defining and limiting the investigation's terms -- even though the committee is supposed to be investigating and providing oversight of the administration's use of Iraq intelligence.

For everyone in the media obsessing about the Judy Miller story, wouldn't this little fact, of the henhouse guard "workiing closely" with the fox, be valuable, even important context? And, if I ever stray over the legal line, can I have the cops "work closely" with me on their investigation of me? http://www.huffingtonpost.com/harry-shearer/oversightthe-other-mean_b_9180.html
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 05:00 pm
Let me get this straight...
The EXECUTIVE branch of govt (that means the President and Vice President) have "hijacked" foreign policy?

I hate to tell you this,but the Constitution states that the Pres and the VP are the ones that set foreign policy.
They decide what our policies are,and the State dept carries those policies out.

There is no way they hijacked foreign policy,its THEIR JOB!!!
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 05:07 pm
Lying us into war was not their job. Thankfully the law has caught up with them.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 05:11 pm
Indictment Is Easy Way Out For Bush Officials
Should Rove, Libby, Cheney and others be indicted in the CIA leak case it will be akin to slipping out the back door

Steve Watson | October 20 2005

Should Bush Administration Officials be indicted and forced to resign over the Plame case in the coming weeks, the left will undoubtedly declare a major victory for justice and truth. We say that should this happen the truth will consequently be buried and injustice will once again prevail.

To see the likes of Rove and Cheney skulking off back into the undergrowth, undoubtedly with massive paychecks will be no victory for the truth movement at all. These men should be held up to account for multiple illegal corporate wranglings, for high treason for the Coup de Tat on 9/11 and for crimes against humanity due to their involvement in the illegal and unjust war in Iraq.

Allowing them to get away with simple perjury over the Plame leak case will allow them to return back to what they know best, how to influence Government policy and advance the elite agenda whilst NOT in power. And Whilst many will wait around the front so to speak, cheering and celebrating this "victory", Rove et al will simply sneak out of the back door.
http://infowars.net/articles/october2005/201005indictment.htm
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 05:14 pm
Some people refuse to look at the front of their nose, but Bush's approval rating for handling his responsibility is down to 31 percent. People like mysteryman is still in that group. Playing musical chairs with this president can become lonely.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 05:17 pm
REPUBLICANS PREPARE FOR LIFE AFTER BUSH.
Beached Party
by Ryan Lizza 1 | 2

hat was fast. Last month, George W. Bush was the leader of the conservative movement. This month, he's a traitor. "I don't think that Bush was ever one of us," says Bruce Bartlett, the conservative columnist and former Reagan and Bush 41 official. "And conservatives knew that. He was the anointed one. You can tell if someone is really part of your movement or not or whether he's someone from the outside. He's never said or written anything that would lead one to believe he has any clue what movement conservatism is all about. You were stuck with what you had, and I think conservatives made the best of it."

Bartlett, who is writing a book about Bush's betrayal of conservatives, was a critic before it became cool. Now, of course, his bandwagon is getting very crowded. "Bush was not the second coming of Ronald Reagan," says former Bush speechwriter David Frum, whose memoir about serving the president is called The Right Man but who is now one of the rebel leaders of the anti-Harriet Miers campaign. "He was a new thing. Every conservative knew he was a blend and was going to reach out to new constituencies. What the old coalition was going to get was a tax cut and judges. ... But the tax cut has turned out not to be a very valuable thing. Because of the deficits, this tax cut is not going to be permanent. Now here [with Miers] is the other most important thing he was going to do for conservatives, and he didn't do it."
http://www.tnr.com/doc.mhtml?i=20051031&s=lizza103105
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 05:28 pm
Bush nominated Miers, because she's a good fundamental christian. Can you imagine the new Iraqi president nominating people that are good fundamental Muslims? Only a few will understand what I'm saying. I wish Bushites would venture a guess. LOL
0 Replies