San Francisco

Don1

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 12:34 pm
Has anyone got an suggestions as to nice places to visit in San Francisco, I don't mean the usual tourist spots, Alcatraz, Golden gate etc.. I am after hidden gems
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 662 • Replies: 8
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 12:46 pm
How long are you going to be there and what area are you staying in?
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 12:55 pm
Is c.i. around? He knows lots about SF.

If you use the internet, there are sites that can be found with insider information about restaurants, entertainment, etc. One usual haunt that I would recommend is City Lights Bookstore. You might be too young to have any idea what I'm talking aobut, but it was the famous hangout of the 50's and 60's beat generation intellectuals. Walking through the stacks, you can feel the history and creativity that has been passed down through the generations.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 01:33 pm
If you have the patience to read them, there are two long threads preceding the a2k san francisco meet of a couple of years ago. A lot of places are mentioned in those long threads. I'll be back with links.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 01:42 pm
Since there are something like a total of 1200 posts on those threads, it might be easier if you can pinpoint some of your interests..

This one gets into a picturesque tangent on bridges in general but comes back to more about San Francisco..
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6079&start=0

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=19053&highlight=a2k+san+francisco+2004
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 06:48 pm
City Lights, I was reading about it recently. The bloke that owns it is the original - he hung out with Kerouac and Ginsberg and all the beat generation types. He is a bit of a recluse apparently.

And the couple of times I've been to San Francisco I wasn't even aware it was there. I could kick myself. I don't know the city so can only go on about the usual tourist spots but I thought the parks and gardens of the city were stunning. Just a thought.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 06:58 pm
I have some favorite places that I like to visit when I'm in SF. Twin Peaks, the Haight, the Castro, Alamo Square, Golden Gate Park, Telegraph Hill, Coit Tower, take a ride on the elctric bus, take BART to the East Bay area, catch a show at the Filmore or the Warfield, just walk through the various neighborhoods, take a drive (or run if your fit) across Golden Gate Bridge at sunrise or sunset, go up to Muir Woods in Marin County, take a trip to Sonoma...I'm sure I'm forgetting plenty. One of the best things to do at sunset is go down to the end of Powel street and look at the city in the light of the setting sun...gorgeuos!

We're going back this December. I can't wait.
0 Replies

Don1

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 12:08 pm
Thanks everyone Very Happy
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 12:28 pm
Wow, all this is making me want to go back for another visit.

I didn't go to the Haight because I actually lived there in the 60's. I don't want to see the changes and, from what I've heard, the touristy boutiques that have opened in, I'm sure, the same places I went to hear great jazz.
0 Replies