Boortz: save the rich people first

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 12:26 pm
Boortz: Faced with an impending national disaster, "we should save the rich people first"

On the October 14 broadcast of his daily radio show, right-wing radio host Neal Boortz stated that if the country is faced with an impending national disaster, it should make it a higher priority to save rich Americans rather than poor Americans.

An October 13 New York Daily News article spurred Boortz's comments. The front-page story, headlined "Rich Got Terror Tip," reported that the U.S. Department of Homeland Security has launched an investigation into whether its officials alerted certain New Yorkers of a terror threat to the city's subway days before the rest of the city learned of the possible plot. According to the article, the probe was launched after the discovery of two emails describing the bombing plot that "had been sent early last week to a select crowd of business and arts executives by New Yorkers who claimed to have close connections to Homeland Security."

After summarizing the story, Boortz responded, "This is as it should be." He went on to imagine a scenario in which the country is forced to "set some priorities" regarding who will be notified of an impending disaster. "We should save the rich people first," Boortz declared. "You know, they're the ones that are responsible for this prosperity." Boortz described the poorest Americans as "a drag on society" and stated that they "don't achieve squat. They sit around all the time waiting for somebody else to take care of them. They have children they can't afford. They're uneducated. They can barely read."

From the October 13 broadcast of Cox Radio Syndication's The Neal Boortz Show:
    BOORTZ: OK, I've got an insensitive thought, folks. There's a news story out there -- there's a news story out there that rich people got some sort of an email notification of the terrorist threat against the New York subway before poor people did. OK? They're making a big deal out of it. Let me see if I can find it on the Drudge Report here. Let's see. There's a guy strangling a goose. That's a pretty good -- that's a pretty impressive picture. It's something about bird flu. So he's got this goose and he's just wringing its neck. You can -- oh, who tipped off the big shots? OK, now here's the story. And it says, "The Homeland Security Department launched internal probes yesterday into whether its officials tipped off friends and relatives to a possible subway terror plot days before average New Yorkers were alerted." So the real gripe here is that it seems that some wealthy people got notified of the terror plot before the great unwashed, before the others. Now, the Daily News in New York has a headline: "Rich got terror tip." Rich got terror tip. OK, let's get logical about this, folks. Let's play logic with this. [b]This is as it should be.[/b] OK? If we are faced with disaster in this country -- let me ask you this, OK? You just be logical. Get all of the emotion out of this. Get all of the emotion out of this. But if we are faced with a disaster in this country, which group do we want to save? The rich or the poor? Now, if you have time, save as many people as you can. But if you have to set some priorities, where do you go? The rich or the poor? OK? Who is a drag on society? The rich or the poor? Who provide the jobs out there? The rich or the poor? Who fuels -- you know, which group fuels our economy? Drives industry? The rich or the poor? Now if you -- all of a sudden, somebody walks up to you and says, "Hey, Boortz listener. You're gonna have a -- you have to make a choice. You're going to -- we're gonna move you to another country. And you're just gonna have to make your way in this other country. We have a choice of two countries for you. In this country, people achieve a lot and they are wealthy because of their hard work. In this country, people don't achieve squat. They sit around all the time waiting for somebody else to take care of them. They have children they can't afford. They're uneducated. They can barely read. And the high point of their day is Entertainment Tonight on TV. Which country do you want to live in? The country of the high achievers, or the country of sheep, the country of followers?" You know what you're gonna do. I don't see what the big problem is. I just don't. I mean, if you -- [b]who do I want to save first? The rich.[/b] Save the poor first. Then, when everything's over, where are you gonna go for a job? OK, hey, if I get a tin cup, can I sit next to you and sell pencils too? [...] I'm serious about that, folks. You see, that's the kind of thing that's going to end up in news stories: "Neal Boortz said that in times of disaster we should save the rich people first." [b]Well, hell, yes, we should save the rich people first. You know, they're the ones that are responsible for this prosperity.[/b] I mean, you go out there and you look at this vast sea of evacuees, OK? You want to get an economy going in some city? Well, who you gonna take back? The people who own businesses? Or the people that sit around waiting to get their minimum wage job, work 'til Friday, get a paycheck and then not show up again until the following Wednesday? Come on. Just put a little logical thought into this, folks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,839 • Replies: 41
No top replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 12:39 pm
What Boortz has to say about it all:

EAT THE RICH --- AT LEAST THEY HAVE FOOD VALUE

Oh boy ... did I strike a nerve this time! That's a good thing. I'm in the business of striking nerves. To give you a hint of how some people were feeling about me this weekend ... I'll just print a few emails here. These were some of the nicer emails we received:
I just noticed something - if you look up "bourgeois capitalist pig" in the dictionary, there's your picture! And no, you didn't "gotta say it". Moron.

My only hope is that you lose your job so you are on the street peddling pencils...the sooner, the better.

.....I am done with you....fool!

Bush voting-stupid diseased-mouth sack of dog vomit Neil (sic) produces nothing useful, is of no benefit to society, and should be rendered into soylent green for the homeless animals.

I got a suggestion for you big guy. Let's dump you into the middle of the ghetto with no father, no money and a rat infested, heatless home. No contact with your elite pals, no favors to call in from your fat cat buddies. You have no education, no contacts, and no hotshot Internet site to spout your rhetoric. You can't see well because you don't have the money to buy eye-glasses, you don't have money to buy a nice suit of clothes. Your car barely runs and you can't afford to fix it. I would love to see you pull your white ass up by your bootstraps (which you can't afford). Bootz, when assholes get together they call you boss.

Amazing now if you were poor what would you say save the poor first ? So then after you save all the rich what then ? Who will cut the grass ? Who will cook the food ? Who will wash the clothing ? Sell the clothes, make the cars, patrol the streets, clean the streets, etc., Sure save them all and let the poor all die it will be worth it to see blowhards and braggarts like you doing for themselves. This country is going to hell because of people like you. By the way lets hope the country isn't invaded while the rich run it, Louie Vuiton and Bentley automobiles cant protect the precious rich.

A very sick concept from a very sick man.

OK ... those are just a few that Web Guy forwarded to me over the weekend. There must have been quite a few more. Ohhhhh .... The Talkmaster was feeling the love this weekend!

So .. what caused all of this fun? Me, of course! Something I said on the show last Friday. I read that story about some well-connected New Yorkers getting the warning of a possible terrorist attack on the NYC subways. Apparently this was a bad thing. How dare some people in the know tell any of their friends of a possible terrorist attack before everybody knows!

Side note. If, somehow, I learn that there is going to be a terrorist attack and that my family or people that I love are in harms way, you can bet your last dollar that I am going to get word to my family so that they can skedaddle before a public announcement is made.

OK .. back to my hideous, horrible, offensive, intemperate and insensitive statement.

"But if we are faced with a disaster in this country, which group do we want to save? The rich or the poor? Now, if you have time, save as many people as you can. But if you have to set some priorities, where do you go? The rich or the poor? OK? Who is a drag on society? The rich or the poor? Who provide the jobs out there? The rich or the poor? Who fuels -- you know, which group fuels our economy? Drives industry? The rich or the poor?

".... Now if you -- all of a sudden, somebody walks up to you and says, "Hey, Boortz listener. You're gonna have a -- you have to make a choice. You're going to -- we're gonna move you to another country. And you're just gonna have to make your way in this other country. We have a choice of two countries for you. In this country, people achieve a lot and they are wealthy because of their hard work. In this country, people don't achieve squat. They sit around all the time waiting for somebody else to take care of them. They have children they can't afford. They're uneducated. They can barely read. And the high point of their day is Entertainment Tonight on TV. Which country do you want to live in? The country of the high achievers, or the country of sheep, the country of followers?" You know what you're gonna do. I don't see what the big problem is. I just don't. I mean, if you -- who do I want to save first? The rich. Save the poor first. Then, when everything's over, where are you gonna go for a job? OK, hey, if I get a tin cup, can I sit next to you and sell pencils too?

OK ... now you can see where those emails came from. I actually crossed the bounds of political correctness and stated the obvious, that the achievers contribute more to this country than the non-achievers; that given a choice, most people would chose to live with those who achieve rather than those who sit around waiting to be taken care of.

This statement crossed one of the most inviolable lines of political correctness .. the idea that some people are more valuable to our culture and society than others. The same leftist crowd that brought us multiculturalism -- the idea that no one culture is better than any other culture -- seek to extend that absurdity to the individual. The idea is that in the long-run all of the work that one individual might put into becoming a successful and valued member of society means nothing. The individual who is responsible for the employment, and thus the livelihood, of 250 people is no "better" than the individual who has dedicated their life to ignoring education and the development of job skills and is content to live their life as a ward of the state in some welfare housing complex.

My statement last Friday can be best understood if you narrow it down to a simple situation involving two individuals. There's been a disaster of some type ... let's say a crash. Two people are involved. Neither is a friend, but you know who both people are, and what role they play in your local society. In our imaginary scenario you only have time to save one person. One --- that's it. The other will die. We'll make them both black so that we can remove the racial element from this. They're also the same age. Now, one of the people involved in the crash is a local businessman. His business employs 50 people. If he dies the business dies with him, and those 50 people will be out of a job. The other person is well known in the community. He has never worked a steady job in his life. He has been content to spend his time living off the taxpayers in the local welfare housing project. Every once in a while he will work for a few days or two to earn some extra cash ... only to spend that cash on booze, drugs or some lottery tickets.

So ... who do you save! All other things being equal, which one are you going to save? Don't give me that nonsense about "I would save the one in the most peril", or "I would save the one nearest to where I stand." I said "all other things being equal." No fudging. Which one would you save?

Point made.

So ... were all of the comments negative? Well, I don't know. Web Guy did forward one message to me of a positive nature. Perhaps he was feeling sorry for me. So ... we'll close with that one.
I enjoyed your comments and truth regarding who to save, rich or poor. I agree that the rich, or at the least financially educated, are the better choice in all circumstances.

I would like to add, to further strengthen this argument, it has been proven time and time again that this decision would not have to be made or even offered to either class in the event of a catastrophic event. When inevitable danger is forthcoming, to save the poor and uneducated, a tremendous amount of effort would be necessary to get that class of people to even heed warnings. And, unfortunately, much of that effort would be wasted as many of the poor and uneducated classes would either simply not listen or get Jesse Jackson and the Rev. Al Sharpton to come to their aid and claim some form of twisted racism or discrimination for either 1) trying to force the poor from their homes prior to an event that may or may not impact them or 2) leaving the poor to die in the disaster despite tremendous pre-event efforts. (i.e. New Orleans)

In contrast, the educated are able to evaluate the impending danger and make their own decision to take care of themselves and their own.

The rich and educated are the better choice to save in the event of a disaster simply due to the fact that they are able to exhibit critical thinking and evaluate a situation, respond to it and obtain a favorable outcome. And those would be characteristics needed to 'rebuild' society in the event of a catastrophic event.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 12:46 pm
Ah, yes. Now I understand it.

It was just about two black people, and only one could be safed.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 12:57 pm
The man is the Howard Stern of conservative talk radio. He only exists to make outrageous comments in order to boost ratings. What a whore.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 01:00 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Obviously you don't understand it.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 01:05 pm
McGentrix wrote:
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Obviously you don't understand it.

I understood both Boortz and Walter. Sarcasm is lost on you, apparently.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 01:08 pm
Actually, I don't mind, if sarcasm on McG is lost or not.

I will be saved, that's of the only importance to me.

:wink:
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 01:16 pm
Is that what that was? sarcasm? Seems to be a lot of that going around.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 01:16 pm
let's be honest ... who does get saved first in an emergency (all other things being equal) ?
remember NO ? the poor people were the ones who couldn't get out. the rich people had a somewhat better chance.
if you are sick and have the choice of receiving the treatment a poor person would get or receiving the treatment a rich person would get , what's your choice ? (i know what my choice would be ... you wanna guess ?). hbg
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 01:26 pm
Neal Boortz wrote:
Side note. If, somehow, I learn that there is going to be a terrorist attack and that my family or people that I love are in harms way, you can bet your last dollar that I am going to get word to my family so that they can skedaddle before a public announcement is made.

It is rare indeed that one gets such a quick and ingenuous admission of hypocrisy. Boortz initially said that we should save the rich first, because they're ... well, because they're better than us. Now, however, Boortz modifies his principled "plutocrats first" position by announcing that family and loved ones get privileged places in the lifeboats too. Is Boortz saying that his family and loved ones are all rich? Are they all entrepreneurs, providing jobs to thousands of workers? Maybe that's the case, although it would have helped for him to have explained that first. Or is he saying that there is an exception to the "rich folks are our superiors" rule that permits FOBs (friends of Boortz) to jump to the head of the line?

Neal Boortz wrote:
OK ... now you can see where those emails came from. I actually crossed the bounds of political correctness and stated the obvious, that the achievers contribute more to this country than the non-achievers; that given a choice, most people would chose to live with those who achieve rather than those who sit around waiting to be taken care of.

No, that's not what he said. He said that the rich should be saved before the poor. His only mention of "achievers" and "non-achievers" was when he identified the first group with the rich and the second with the poor. But that's laughably simplistic. The ranks of the rich are filled with non-achievers: kids who inherited their wealth, lottery millionaires, conservative radio talk show hosts, etc. Think of Paris Hilton as their poster child. On the other hand, there are plenty of achievers among the ranks of the poor. The entire Horatio Alger myth is built on just such strivers. Boortz is, therefore, engaging in some revisionist history here when he claims that he was only talking about achievers and non-achievers. He wasn't: he was talking about rich and poor.

Neal Boortz wrote:
This statement crossed one of the most inviolable lines of political correctness .. the idea that some people are more valuable to our culture and society than others. The same leftist crowd that brought us multiculturalism -- the idea that no one culture is better than any other culture -- seek to extend that absurdity to the individual. The idea is that in the long-run all of the work that one individual might put into becoming a successful and valued member of society means nothing. The individual who is responsible for the employment, and thus the livelihood, of 250 people is no "better" than the individual who has dedicated their life to ignoring education and the development of job skills and is content to live their life as a ward of the state in some welfare housing complex.

Yeah, I have problems with the whole notion of "democracy" too.

Neal Boortz wrote:
My statement last Friday can be best understood if you narrow it down to a simple situation involving two individuals. There's been a disaster of some type ... let's say a crash. Two people are involved. Neither is a friend, but you know who both people are, and what role they play in your local society. In our imaginary scenario you only have time to save one person. One --- that's it. The other will die. We'll make them both black so that we can remove the racial element from this. They're also the same age. Now, one of the people involved in the crash is a local businessman. His business employs 50 people. If he dies the business dies with him, and those 50 people will be out of a job. The other person is well known in the community. He has never worked a steady job in his life. He has been content to spend his time living off the taxpayers in the local welfare housing project. Every once in a while he will work for a few days or two to earn some extra cash ... only to spend that cash on booze, drugs or some lottery tickets.

So ... who do you save! All other things being equal, which one are you going to save? Don't give me that nonsense about "I would save the one in the most peril", or "I would save the one nearest to where I stand." I said "all other things being equal." No fudging. Which one would you save?

Point made.

It's nice to see that Boortz can construct an elaborate hypothetical scenario just so that he can imagine seeing a poor black man die. I suppose it's better than doing it in real life.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 01:37 pm
McGentrix wrote:
Is that what that was? sarcasm? Seems to be a lot of that going around.

I can't imagine why you would encounter a lot of sarcasm.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 01:39 pm
Who the hell is Boortz? He sounds like the male version of Ann Coulter. They only make the news when they say something outrageous. Like kids in school so desperate for attention that they'll do anything.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 01:46 pm
Exactly. He has a syndicated talk show. Claims to be a Libertarian, and loves the free press he gets by saying outrageous things.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 05:24 pm
Boortz is one sick puppy.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 05:53 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
Neal Boortz wrote:

It is rare indeed that one gets such a quick and ingenuous admission of hypocrisy. Boortz initially said that we should save the rich first, because they're ... well, because they're better than us.

You're poor Joe? How terrible. It would explain some of your politics though.

Now, however, Boortz modifies his principled "plutocrats first" position by announcing that family and loved ones get privileged places in the lifeboats too. Is Boortz saying that his family and loved ones are all rich? Are they all entrepreneurs, providing jobs to thousands of workers? Maybe that's the case, although it would have helped for him to have explained that first. Or is he saying that there is an exception to the "rich folks are our superiors" rule that permits FOBs (friends of Boortz) to jump to the head of the line?

Are you really trying to press this as an advantage to your argument? Rich or poor, one would expect and hope that the first people someone in the know thinks about is his or her family...then the Rich.

Neal Boortz wrote:

No, that's not what he said. He said that the rich should be saved before the poor. His only mention of "achievers" and "non-achievers" was when he identified the first group with the rich and the second with the poor. But that's laughably simplistic. The ranks of the rich are filled with non-achievers: kids who inherited their wealth, lottery millionaires, conservative radio talk show hosts, etc. Think of Paris Hilton as their poster child. On the other hand, there are plenty of achievers among the ranks of the poor. The entire Horatio Alger myth is built on just such strivers. Boortz is, therefore, engaging in some revisionist history here when he claims that he was only talking about achievers and non-achievers. He wasn't: he was talking about rich and poor.

If, in a pinch, we had to rather quickly identify the achievers from the non-achievers how might we do so? Now let's stipulate that we can't employ some bloated group of academic windbags who might take five years to produce a result, we have to make the decision with 24 hours.

Choosing the rich will, admittedly, allow parasites like Paris Hilton to slip in, and excluding the poor will, admittedly, miss any number of future tycoons in their formative years, but, overall, which class of people better represents achievers?

Neal Boortz wrote:

Yeah, I have problems with the whole notion of "democracy" too.

But Boortz doesn't, necessarily, have a problem with democracy. He isn't suggesting, as far as I can tell, that poor people be denied the right to vote. Our democracy means equality under the law. It's entirely possible that given enough time, a quite considered opinion might be rendered that it is in the best interest of civilization that a proportional share of the poor be save along with the rich. After all, it might, indeed, be difficult to find people to mow post-apocalyptic lawns if all the survivors were formerly millionaires. However Boortz seems to be suggesting that the poor are an inexhaustible resource. Earth Two may, by his approach, be populated by the rich, but in no time the poor will reveal themselves (Paris Hilton probably).

Neal Boortz wrote:

Point made.

It's nice to see that Boortz can construct an elaborate hypothetical scenario just so that he can imagine seeing a poor black man die. I suppose it's better than doing it in real life.

And that is precisely why he created the hypothetical! How insightful of you to unearth the fact that Boortz is merely a cruel son-of-a bitch who would like to see poor black men die!

0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 08:50 pm
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
You're poor Joe? How terrible. It would explain some of your politics though.

I wouldn't consider myself poor, but I certainly wouldn't consider myself rich. As for my politics, I'll let others figure out how they can be explained.

Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
Are you really trying to press this as an advantage to your argument? Rich or poor, one would expect and hope that the first people someone in the know thinks about is his or her family...then the Rich.

Boortz established a rationale for saving people in a crisis: the rich go first because they're better. Then he said that he would save his family and loved ones first. Now either his family and loved ones are all rich, or else he's setting up an exception to his rule. But his rule was premised on the claim that the rich are just worth more than the common rabble, and so deserve the spots in the lifeboat that are reserved for them.

Boortz doesn't explain why his family and loved ones also deserve to get a few of those spots. One might presume that he has some kind of inexplicable emotional attachment to his family and loved ones. He shouldn't, of course, because Boortz suggests that these kinds of decisions should be made on the basis of societal good rather than on any sort of personal, non-rational basis. After all, if we let "emotion" cloud our judgment, we might make a mistake and let some sympathetic-but-non-deserving poor person jump to the head of the line.

Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
]Choosing the rich will, admittedly, allow parasites like Paris Hilton to slip in, and excluding the poor will, admittedly, miss any number of future tycoons in their formative years, but, overall, which class of people better represents achievers?

I have no idea. Being rich, I'm sure, has a high correlation with achieving wealth: I doubt it has a significant correlation with "achievement" measured in non-monetary terms.

Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
But Boortz doesn't, necessarily, have a problem with democracy. He isn't suggesting, as far as I can tell, that poor people be denied the right to vote. Our democracy means equality under the law.

Indeed it does, which is a problem for Boortz. Remember, he is talking about a government informing wealthy citizens of impending disaster before it gets around to telling the rest of us. Were this simply some hypothetical lifeboat scenario, where Boortz gets to save his family, his pals, and the wealthy, then that would be one thing. When it comes to the government picking and choosing, however, that brings up the notion of democracy. If Boortz wants a democratic government to make distinctions among citizens based on wealth, then he most definitely does have a problem with democracy.

Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
It's entirely possible that given enough time, a quite considered opinion might be rendered that it is in the best interest of civilization that a proportional share of the poor be save along with the rich. After all, it might, indeed, be difficult to find people to mow post-apocalyptic lawns if all the survivors were formerly millionaires. However Boortz seems to be suggesting that the poor are an inexhaustible resource. Earth Two may, by his approach, be populated by the rich, but in no time the poor will reveal themselves (Paris Hilton probably).

No, Boortz suggests no such thing. You are suggesting it, and I don't necessarily disagree (I too would like to see Paris Hilton mowing lawns for a living). But if Boortz is imagining evacuating the wealthy from New York in advance of a terrorist attack, then I'm sure there will be plenty of illegal immigrants in the Hamptons who will be left to do the post-apocalyptic yard work.

Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
And that is precisely why he created the hypothetical! How insightful of you to unearth the fact that Boortz is merely a cruel son-of-a bitch who would like to see poor black men die!

Thanks, I'm glad I was able to share my insights with you.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2005 02:56 am
The nation was founded on the principle that all men-later extended to all people-should have equal right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness..

Everybody but Boortz supporters realize that a plan built upon the fundamental notion that the rich have a greater right to be saved in an emergency would run counter to that principle.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2005 07:12 am
Quote:
Indeed it does, which is a problem for Boortz. Remember, he is talking about a government informing wealthy citizens of impending disaster before it gets around to telling the rest of us.

No, it was individuals working in the government that informed people. The government is not a thing that can make phone calls, it is an idea. I doubt anyone received a phone call like "Hi, this is the government, we have heard there may be a terrorist attack in the NYC subways and because you are rich and ride the subway instead of taking a cab or limo, we thought you should know."
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2005 07:29 am
Ironically, the "terror tip" in question was a dud and a national joke. Whoever bet anything real on this insider tip wasted money, time, effort, or whatever it was he was betting. Looking at his remark from this angle, I can even agree with Mr. Boortz: "This is as it should be."

Apart from that, Mr. Bortz's principled stand for informational insider trading aren't worth refuting with many words. So suffice it to say: Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

revel

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2005 07:35 am
When I read these outlandish statements I am shocked but what amazes me is the apologist for them. Sure is an ugly world we have created when these kinds of statements can be the subject of debate and people actually defend them. Crying or Very sad
0 Replies