How to keep your cool with customers and NOT FLIP OUT

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 10:41 am
How do you do it... because right now I am ready to wring some necks.. Evil or Very Mad I am stuck at the front desk,... unable to leave without coverage.. and getting attitudes from customers and other employees.... I could just flip out and tell them what is on my mind.... but no I need this stupid job

HOW DO YOU NOT SPAZ OUT??
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 968 • Replies: 18
No top replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 10:44 am
Did you forget to get stoned on the way to work?
0 Replies

Crazielady420

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 10:45 am
hahaha... haven't smoked in over two years... been sober from everything for 2 years.. I wish.... nope just dealing with straight reality
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 10:48 am
Kill with kindness. When someone is awful nasty to you, be extra nice to them. Throws their nasty attitude right off. Either they get so pissed they make an ass out of themselves or they are shocked and straighten out.
0 Replies

Crazielady420

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 10:55 am
that is actually a really good idea Bella... but I don't think I have the patience to be nice or the mind compasity.... but I will try it out.... but i will still prolly sound bitchy as hell
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 11:04 am
Start jerking your head back and forth and make chicken noises.

I'm not sure that will accomplish anything, but it would be rather amusing.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 11:05 am
Yes, crazie, you can find the patience because once you start being ever kinder to them, something happens. You get to laugh at them behind your mask of assumed concern and that becomes more fun than getting angry. It is a game you can play with yourself.

This was the trick my daughter used when she was a barrista. She would quickly visualize any annoying customer as a spoiled and annoying two-year-old... one that needed a nap and probably the toilet. Her gaze would soften, her voice would become sweeter and more endearing, and she'd cater to them until they'd (usually) grow ashamed and often apologize.

The others ones are their own worst misery anyway.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 11:07 am
It's a requirement in the professional world if you want to be successful. Sometimes it takes practice to learn but control and discipline are never frowned upon in the business world; only praised and desired.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 11:08 am
Here's another idea: Put on a Burger King uniform and when a customer comes to the front desk, smile and say, "May I take your order?"

heh heh
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 11:11 am
Easy. As soon as someone goes into asshole mode, pretend they are an extremely dangerous mental patient and you are a skilled negotiator. You then detach yourself emotionally from the insults and logically and methodically and professionally find ways to diffuse the situation before they detonate the bomb they're wearing.

Works every time.

The onus is the personal insult. If you deflect it, you're OK.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 11:14 am
Or, you could finish every sentence with the phrase "according to the sacred writings of Mohammad, may Allah show mercy to him."
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 11:32 am
fling poo and make monkey sounds. then yell at the top of your voice "I'm the president of the united states and you will obey me!!!!"
0 Replies

Crazielady420

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 11:52 am
Well thanks guys.. I will use some of these suggestions and some of them I think would be better used elsewhere... :-)
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 11:58 am
beg your pardon?
0 Replies

Crazielady420

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 11:59 am
did I stutter?? :-)
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 12:04 pm
Ever see "Super Troopers?"

Play games with yourself. Try to see how many "meows" you can throw into a conversation with an ass customer.

"Excuse me, where is the manager?"

"He's three doors down on the left meow. Just ask for Jim."
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2005 08:44 am
Ha, I like Lash's suggestion
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2005 09:39 am
CL, if your on front desk that must mean you kind ofdo the same job as me.
Im th elowest in the rank of things and I need to realise people of low rank dont have any opinions of value, everybody else is better and so I have to smile sweetly and do as I am told.for example, if i try to talk to my boss about his time keeping its completely ok if he laughs in my face, Im scum , I deserve it.
Remember the customer is always right...thank you and how may I help, smile,smile.

Alternatively-
Nice suggestion, realise they have had a bad day too and all they want is help or an answer to their questions.Your problems are not theirs.

Fun suggestion, stand up and shout 'im not here to make yuor life better, this job is driving me nuts, Ive lost brain cells since I started work here, Im better than this but nobody can see that'.Then slam phones, notepads, keyboards on the table top, grab your things and storm out.

Im sure others can thin up something better.
0 Replies

Crazielady420

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2005 09:41 am
I do have the urge to walk out alot and someday I will and when I do I am flipping out man
0 Replies