comforting children

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2005 09:59 pm
Hello!!
Hoping you could provide me with a few answers here, on the different ways you comfort your child...how you do it? What tecniques you use? What comforters have you used, and which work well... and if you could, please provide examples on when your child is likely to need a comforter...!

Thankyou so much!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 647 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Mrs Inquisitive

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2005 09:26 pm
What? 18 views and no answer??
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2005 09:02 am
Hi Mrs.,

It's a big question!! A little daunting in that way.

I'll take a stab at an (incomplete) answer:

Methods of comfort vary by age, but most of them have to do with physical contact. My daughter is going to be 5 in a month, and I will almost always hug her if she needs comfort. If she's sad, if she's hurt herself, if she's tired and cranky. I still kiss boo-boos, always seems to make her feel better. Often the hugging is in a lap context -- pull her up on my lap, hug, she rests her head on my shoulder, etc. -- and then when she feels better (amount of time varies) she pops out.

Sometimes I recognize based on how she's reacting to the hug/ lap time that something else is going on, like she's hungry, or something, and then I move to meet whatever need that is.

Maybe more narrow/ specific questions?
0 Replies

lmsabm

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 02:25 pm
That's a tricky question. Each baby/child reacts to different things in different manners. Plus, comforting the baby varies depending on WHAT is bothering them.

It could be as simple as holding them, singing/talking to them, offering a pacifier (if they take one), offering a bottle (sounds weird, but sometimes my children would fuss until I offered a bottle, even if they didn't take it), a swing, being outside (my babies favourite), a particular person, a comforting room, a change of scenery, music, to stand up (even if they're an infant), to be held a certain way, a bath, distraction.... The list goes on.

What kind of issues does your child have? What bothers them? And, what have you already tried?
0 Replies

Dark Waltz

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 02:54 am
I'd say it was individual choice, feeling safe and secure can be acheived in a number of ways, distractions by a favourite toy, cuddles,
A child needs a comforter when faced with new experiences and when they may feel anxiety for example starting nursery, going to hospital, visiting the dentist,
Its quite common for children to want to bring something from home for that extra security
0 Replies