How much TV do you watch?

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 18 May, 2003 07:16 am
I don't have cable. Made a decision quite a while ago -- I can afford either DSL access to the internet or cable TV, not both. It was a very easy decision to make. My radio is permanently tuned to Public Radio as I surf the net. Don't need those TV visuals.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 18 May, 2003 07:25 am
During the war I watched more. Now I get my news basically by reading various papers on the internet, and the paper that gets delivered to my door.

I basically watch just a few shows on TV: All three Law & Orders, C.S.I. and 60 Minutes. In the evening, if I am not reading a book, I am you know where! Very Happy
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 18 May, 2003 07:31 am
During the war, if one watched anything at all, one had to watch the war. I was fortunate enough to be spending that entire month in a hotel room in Roswell, NM. The hotel, of course, provided me with cable. I was able to quickly click over CNN, Fox, MSNBC etc. etc. and find the Movie Channel and A&E. So I watched Casablanca, Space Cowboys, Citizen Kane and a whole bunch of other really good movies. Almost made me want to have cable at home. Almost.
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Mon 19 May, 2003 09:43 pm
Merry Andrew<

Your opinion please: which TV network had the best reporting of Operation Iraqi Freedom? Why?
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 20 May, 2003 03:52 am
I really have no opinion on that, williamhenry. Except for the fact that I intensly dislike Fox's reporting on anything, I saw no real difference in the approaches of the various news networks. As far as substance goes, you might as well have watched the 6 p.m. news on the regular broadcast networks. For the cable news networks, it was largely overkill across the board, broadcasting from Iraq even when there was nothing new to report.
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Tue 20 May, 2003 10:20 pm
Merry Andrew<

I am not particularly fond of FoxNews. Its reporters seem a bit pious to me, claiming they are "fair and balanced."

If so, then part of the time, they must have been rooting for an Iraqi victory. I missed out on this reporting, however.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 21 May, 2003 08:51 am
FOX isn't news, it's reporting fodder. Like anything else, one should be selective about what they watch on TV. My selection: HBO's "Six Feet Under," "The Sopranos," and "Curb Your Enthusiasm" (okay, I don't miss "Sex and the City" either).
0 Replies

valgalmypal

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2003 01:55 pm
I am addicted to tv. I watch sports mainly and a few shows like Seventh Heaven,Everwood and many old reruns.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2003 02:12 pm
I just bought an HD TV and HD tuner. There isn't really a great deal of HD content, but some sporting events, like Monday Night Football, are broadcast in HD. It's mesmerizing to watch, almost as if you are there. CBS has the best HD setup, when they use it. Some football games are carried by CBS in HD and it's almost surreal how good it is. They also did the US Open (tennis) and it was spectacular, almost made me want to watch tennis! Wink

Anyway, I chose 2-4 hours but in reality the TV is on much of the day.
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2003 10:19 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
FOX isn't news, it's reporting fodder.

Driving my way safely through a farrago of traffic yesterday, Sean Hannity's voice came through the car's radio. He was thrilled to report that on the night's TV edition of Hannity and Colmes on FoxNews, the on set guests would be: G. Gordon Liddy, Oliver North, and Ann Coulter.

"A powerful lineup!" Hannity exclaimed.

The three selected guests do not seem to glean a pittance of a "fair and balanced" presentation.

Were the traffic not so heavy, I might have clobbered my car's radio with my left shoe.
Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Turner 727

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2003 11:02 pm
Depends. . . .

Most days during the week I don't want TV. I've got school and work. The kids watch a lot of Cartoon Network and Disney channel, so that's usually on in the background. Unless the four year old decides he wants to play GTA3 or RedFaction2.

Weekends, there are shows I like to watch. Unwrapped, Top5 and Iron Chef on FoodNetwork, MadTV, Simpsons, Malcolm in the Middle. . .plus I like to watch movies on the weekend too.

Oh, and it's football season, so I like to watch the Chiefs on Sundays too. Don't watch many other games, but I'll peek in on them if it's an AFC/West team being televised.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2003 06:00 pm
Hmm.

Carnivale--Survivor--K Street--about two hours of news a day--maybe a premium movie every two or three days--Frasier--Friends--

2-4 hours a day.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2003 06:14 pm
I own a tv strictly for football. I watch my favorite team every Sunday and on occasion I'll watch a game that involves two evenly-matched teams. During the offseason my tv screen collects dust until the kickoff.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2003 09:21 pm
Gvstavvs: sed ludicra haec inter dimidia muneris intercendentia insulsa sunt.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2003 09:32 am
For someone who once refused to own a television, I watch far too much, but, I suppose were I to find both a job and a boyfriend then I would watch much less! LOL!!
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2003 12:34 pm
Years ago I broke up with a guy and bought a 27" console tv to get me thru the long, lonely winter. Laughing
TV can be a reliable companion when there's no one else.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2003 12:51 pm
Hey, Sofia, I am a "Frasier" fan and only visit the other sitcoms because someone else is watching them. To tell the truth, I'm likely on my laptop and it's just background. I do shut it down for "Carnivale," "K Street," and even "Sopranos" reruns. Otherwise, I'm on PBS -- the recent docubio of Churchill was excellent. I don't know if I mentioned it earler but on KCET High Def (LA PBS) they broadcast a high definition taped show of flamenco and I also just saw "Fosse" in Hi Def -- it was just like the stage was in my living room.
0 Replies

coffee sloth

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2003 01:32 pm
I voted for "over 6" but I don't actually watch that much. It's on all the time, but mostly for the background noise. Due to eardrum scarring, if it's too quiet, I can hear a faint ringing sound, which drives me crazy. There is always music or TV on around me, if I can help it.
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2003 02:32 pm
not much but David Letterman is breaking down all the barriers. His show is truely untouchable...He's the best Jerry the best as kenny banya says to jerry seinfeld.
0 Replies

vroonika

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2003 04:02 pm
i voted 2-4 but it does vary. some days I don't watch tv at all and others get lost sitting in front of the box...although tv has gone down hill quality-wise of late, not impressed with it too much
0 Replies