Former Naval Physicist: Government Can Control Hurricanes

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2005 01:23 pm
Former Vet "Made it Rain" During Vietnam War http://www.prisonplanet.com/articles/october2005/141005weather_modification.htm
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 480 • Replies: 8
No top replies

AliceInWonderland

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2005 09:49 am
There's a nutball weatherman in Idaho saying the same things are possible - you can't believe everything you read. I love the way these articles always, ALWAYS say something to the effect of, "Although the project was shut down due to insufficient proof, many believe it became part of a black operation." Translation: "My pet project went away and I'm pissed off so I'll claim the government is doing it and a lot of conspiracy theorists will spread the word for me." Come on - we wouldn't be nearly as skeptical if there was any actual evidence.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2005 10:25 am
The idea has some validity.

Cloud seeding has been used for decades. It is an inexact science. The article never claims we can control hurricanes or create or destroy them. It only says we can modify the force for a short period of time by trying to change the energy composition by creating rain.

I think it is conspiracy theory to claim they didn't do it to Katrina because of political reasons. The reality is we haven't been spending money on it. That hardly equates to politics for Katrina. We didn't do it for Andrew or Rita or a hundred other hurricanes.

It probably is accurate that we couldn't find statistical verification that it worked. Too many variables that you can't control that affect the strength and path of a hurricane. You can't tell if a seeded hurricane would have been stronger or not because you can't eliminate the other variables.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2005 10:32 am
AliceInWonderland, I wouldn't discount what evidence is absolutely documented. The article contains much more than just theory.
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2005 10:42 am
blueflame1 wrote:
AliceInWonderland, I wouldn't discount what evidence is absolutely documented. The article contains much more than just theory.

Aye, it contains a great advertisement for Dr. Livingstones books as well.

Hurricane damage reduction simply doesn't have the results to be a proven anything. So they managed a certain % reduction in two hurricanes. Hurricane strengths rise and fall all the time, generally due to ocean temperatures and pressure systems.

I'd be interested in seeing further tests conducted on these theories, but in my opinion the article as a whole provides little of substance.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2005 10:46 am
Controlling Hurricanes, Can hurricanes and other severe tropical storms be moderated or deflected? October 2004 issue of Scientific American.com
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2005 11:07 am
Walter, interesting article thanks.
0 Replies

AliceInWonderland

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2005 11:15 am
Yes, great article - finally a bit more than conjecture. However, it's still a HUGE step between what this article is talking about and having the ability to model, preduct and control future hurricanes, let alone ot claim that we are doing it now.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2005 11:20 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Controlling Hurricanes, Can hurricanes and other severe tropical storms be moderated or deflected? October 2004 issue of Scientific American.com

That's why I love A2K. Other people will do some of the google work for me.

Thanks Walter.
0 Replies