Need Help

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2005 09:46 am
I need help finding any information at all.

I am doing a debate on the following topic;

Resolved: The Congress of the United States should pass a law, and the President should sign the law, requiring any candidate for the Supreme Court of the United States to answer under oath any and all questions regarding his/her personal beliefs on any issue which any member of the Judiciary Committee of the Senate might choose to ask him or her.

I am against and just want to get as much of and understanding and background on this topic as possible. If anyone has any ideas, information and/or places I could possibly find information on this topic, I would appreciate it. Anyone have anything on past candidates being refused because of their opinions, anything with the current nominees? Does the constitution allow the senate to have that much control over the judiciary? Anything at all will be helpful, thanks.

Kevin
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 493 • Replies: 1
No top replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2005 11:58 am
welcome to a2k.

i'm not the expert on the s.c., but i think the first time that so many personal questions were put to a s.c. nominee was with robert bork, in the reagan era.

the acknowledged role of congress in the process is one of "advise and consent"; which can, of course, mean whatever one wants it to mean depending on who is president and who controls congress.

i think that perhaps a2k member debra_law would be able to give you a much better answer.
0 Replies