Post-Polio Syndrome

quinn1

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 07:27 pm
My grandmother (in her 80's with Alzheimers) is a Polio survivor. She did have quite a hard time of it. She lost use of one side of her body, was put into backbraces, etc for a great deal of her childhood. She however went on to have 6 children and was independent up to a few years ago.
Recently she experienced some very serious pain and discomfort and after all kinds of testing all they have been able to come up with is that it is part of PPS.
I have looked at information and really havent gooten as many questions answered as I thought. There isnt alot in the way of answers to be found either. There is no cure, there are continuing studies, and with the Alzheimers its more complicated.
Just thought I would put some of the sites I found here for others looking for information and leaving a place for anyone with similar issues to come on in and share.

Basically the same information but, a little tidbit here and there could make all the difference:

National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke
PPS Fact Sheet

March Of Dimes
PPS Info Sheet

CNN Health Library

Due to the Alzheimers issue I thought this was interesting

PPS and Memory Loss

A few interesting facts:

PPS Resources - Famous People

That actually made me laugh:
Her favorite president is FDR
She still watches MASH religiously
Dinah Shore was all we watched at one time
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,253 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 08:24 pm
Reading with interest.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 09:01 pm
Sorry she's going through all that, Quinn. Sorry you have to just stand by and watch.....
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 08:05 am
Thanks for stopping in guys.

I think my Mother has it the worst being right there - I get to worry from far away.

Getting old aint easy - the poor little thing just cant get a break. sigh.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 12:00 pm
Old age isn't for sissies.

Undignified declines seem so unfair.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2005 07:51 am
I agree - on both counts
0 Replies