Baby won't take a pacifier....

DrewDad

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 12:38 pm
OK. Chiquita is 8 weeks old now, and she won't take a pacifier! This is starting to be a concern for both our sanity and her health. (Babies who use pacifiers have a lower incidence of SIDS.)

We've tried:

Avent pacifiers (the same ones that Yaya loved)
NUK pacifiers
Evenflow Natural Comfort pacifier
Gerber Gentle Flex pacifier
Playtex SafeNSure pacifier
Children's Medical Ventures Soothie pacifier

She will suck on a finger occasionally, but not reliably. I've gotten her to take an artificial pacifier exactly once.

Anybody else have a picky baby? Any favorite pacifier brands?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 16,721 • Replies: 18
No top replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 12:43 pm
Bean never EVER took to a pacifier. Not even her thumb.
What my mother told me to do was to buy a nipple that she was used to and put a tiny drop of hot glue on the inside of the nipple to seal the hole and then put nothing but warm water in the bottle and give that to her. The warm water kept the nipple warm and pliable , but the hot glue didnt allow it to escape .
Im not sure how practical it is .. but..
I tried it... she took it twice. but that was it.

she just never really took to sucking for comfort. Bottles and nipples in her mind , were for food only.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 12:57 pm
My oldest one didn't want a passy, but I kept on pluggin' away with it. My husband made fun of me for wanting him to take one....

My second one....took one for about a year, then it become a play thing to him.

Neither child wasn't fond of them...Some aren't.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 01:04 pm
Does she nurse?

If so, I'd advise actively keeping her away from one. Messes with nursing.

Sozlet's another who was never interested in pacifiers, ever.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 01:09 pm
Looked up the SIDS thing (I didn't know that!) and found this, also tied into whether Chiquita is nursing or not:

Quote:
She said babies at least risk from SIDS were breast-fed infants, partly because mother's milk offered greater protection against infection.

In addition the superior oral ability of breast-fed children was thought to play a role, she said.

"For this reason we would counsel pacifiers for bottle-fed babies, while breast-fed babies should only be given a pacifier when breast-feeding is well-established to prevent nipple confusion," L'Hoir said.

http://sids-network.org/experts/pacifiers.htm
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 01:31 pm
No problem at all. If baby doesn't want a pacifier, don't force it on her. In my opinion it is better. The baby will learn to sooth herself without the use of a pacifier - also, a pacifier is just another bad habit baby will have to break eventually.

I have two young children. The first loved the pacifier and used it. I found NUK to work best for her - she loved them. My second refused the pacifier. We never used it - she preferred her thumb from day one. Each child is different and whatever works for your child is best.

This is the first I have heard of the lower incidence of SIDS, but even if that is true, if you have a healthy baby, I would not use the pacifier simply because of SIDS, there are so many other ways you can prevent SIDS.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 02:18 pm
My older son didn't want a pacifier.

My younger son adored his--we referred to it as The Plug.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 02:23 pm
Funny Noddy - we also referred to it as the PLUG. It "plugged" the crying.
0 Replies

sunlover

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 02:46 pm
I saw the news bit about pacifiers and SIDS yesterday, where it was also suggested that babies be placed flat on their backs, not on their side (to prevent SIDS). Maybe your baby will be just fine, DrewDad, without a pacifier. My kids loved them but it was sure difficult breaking that habit.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 02:51 pm
As an aside: I visited the (main) NUK factory once: the most important thing our guide told us, was that they don't produse condoms and pacifiers with the same maschines Laughing
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 02:56 pm
Nice, Walter. That is comforting.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 03:26 pm
Just read the article. It also stated that babies shoud sleep in the same room as the parents, but warned about bed sharing and having baby sleep on a firm surfaces without any soft or loose bedding.
0 Replies

ralpheb

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 03:36 am
Why would anybody force their child to use a pacifier? If I child can pacify themselves without one, whats the issue? I have a sister-in-law that makes her son take his thumb out of his mouth so she can put a pacifier in instead?????
0 Replies

lmsabm

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 02:13 pm
My oldest refused to take a pacifier until he started teething. And, the only reason he took one then was because it hurt to chew on his fingers.

On the other hand, my youngest takes a pacifier all the time. But, he will only suck on the Gerber Gentle Flex kind.

Just goes to show that each baby is different. There's nothing wrong with a baby that refuses a pacifier.
0 Replies

Heatwave

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 04:31 pm
Our daughter is now almost 4 months old. We were pretty flexible with her and the pacifier. Although she was a very calm newborn, didn't cry very much - we did offer her a pacifier on the occasion she cried despite being fed, changed or held differently. Sometimes she took it, mostly she didn't. We offered it less and less to her. Since she was about 2 - 2 1/2 months-old, she started chewing on her hands. Now, all day she sucks on her hands, and anything else that she can put in her mouth, including my hand and daddy's nose. It seems to satisfy her need to suck, ease whatever itches the teeth developing under her gums are causing, and calm her. I think this was a good alternative to the pacifier as it serves the same purpose and is one less thing that I'll need to wean her off as she grows older.
0 Replies

lmsabm

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 04:39 pm
You will still need to wean her, as she'll grow up sucking on her fingers/thumb. She'll need to be weaned from her hands just like a baby from a pacifier.

If you REALLY prefer her to take a pacifier, try different kinds. There are a bunch of shapes, hardnesses, sizes, etc. My oldest didn't really care what kind it was. But, my youngest ONLY takes the Gerber Gentle Flex kind (and, the most expensive of all).

And, it's natural for a baby to suck and chew on their hands. My youngest pulls his pacifier out JUST to suck on his fingers. But, sucking on their hands means that their hands need to be washed often since they handle all kinds of things that have germs and easily get dirty; plus their nails need to be kept trim so they don't cut themselves.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 04:43 pm
Not necessarily on sucking on fingers/ thumb. My daughter did neither (no pacifier, no thumb-sucking). I mean, she was interested in her hands as a tiny baby (and her toes, and everything else within reach), but never sucked her thumb for comfort, never needed to be weaned of it.
0 Replies

Heatwave

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 05:00 pm
Smile Now why didn't I realize that earlier - naturally she'll need to be weaned off her hand-sucking! *smacking forehead*
0 Replies

ralpheb

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 10:29 pm
I think it's great that a chidren can pacify themselves. As far as the weening part goes, it happens when it happens. the less comforting they need the sooner it will happen.
0 Replies