TV Censorship

dancingnancy

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 03:38 pm
Quote:
How bout not sitting your kid in front of the tv like a babysitter? Or limited tv time? Maybe parents shouldn't put tvs in their kids bedrooms.

Bella Dea - I totally agree with you on this one. I think the bigger issue here is that parents need to parent. Now I'm not a parent - but my kids would not have the gov deciding what we all watch if it were up to me. And they wouldn't have so much access to tv, but that's just me.

Quote:
The ratings are entirely arbitrary which makes them useless.

And Fishin' - I see your point about the vchip limitations and that ratings are decided by the producers, and that's a really solid point. The thing is, you know someone is on the producer's butt (like legal teams and publicists) so they're going to want to choose a rating that will be most appropriate I would think - thus making the ratings not so arbitrary - just not chosen by one organization.

Quote:
Of course they aren't saying it's the end all-be all. They'd be laughed out of the business if they did. But they are arguing (just as you have) that there is little need for government regulation because they have alternatives in place.

No no - I think the point of the TV Watch stance is that there should not be such tight government regulation - not because there are alternatives like vchips - but because the parents, instead, should be the governing body over what their kids watch. Does that make sense? Things like the vchips, the rating explanations, etc - those are all things to help parents if they need them - but the overarching message is that parents should be parenting, not the government.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 05:13 pm
dancingnancy wrote:
And Fishin' - I see your point about the vchip limitations and that ratings are decided by the producers, and that's a really solid point. The thing is, you know someone is on the producer's butt (like legal teams and publicists) so they're going to want to choose a rating that will be most appropriate I would think - thus making the ratings not so arbitrary - just not chosen by one organization.

I agree that there are people within teh broadcast networks that watch out for this stuff to try and protect themselves but there are an equeal number that couldn't care less that are pushing just as hard. While the legal team is pushing in one direction the network marketing gurus are pushing too because that is how the networks make their money.

Quote:
No no - I think the point of the TV Watch stance is that there should not be such tight government regulation - not because there are alternatives like vchips - but because the parents, instead, should be the governing body over what their kids watch. Does that make sense? Things like the vchips, the rating explanations, etc - those are all things to help parents if they need them - but the overarching message is that parents should be parenting, not the government.

If that is true then why are they greatly exagerting the extent of the government regulation? Between 1990 and 2004 there were a grand total of 75 fines PROPOSED (not actually levied!) by the FCC for a grand total of some $4.5 million. 87% of that total was directed at 5 specific RADIO broadcasts. The Janet Jackson Superbowl show accounted for an additional 4% of the total. That leaves a whopping total of some $440K in fines against all other broadcasts - Radio and TV -over a 14 year period for an average of some $31K a year. That's less than my town of some 5,000 people takes in in traffic fines each year. Where is that "tight government regulation"???
0 Replies

dancingnancy

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2005 10:42 am
fishin' wrote:
If that is true then why are they greatly exagerting the extent of the government regulation? Between 1990 and 2004 there were a grand total of 75 fines PROPOSED (not actually levied!) by the FCC for a grand total of some $4.5 million. 87% of that total was directed at 5 specific RADIO broadcasts. The Janet Jackson Superbowl show accounted for an additional 4% of the total. That leaves a whopping total of some $440K in fines against all other broadcasts - Radio and TV -over a 14 year period for an average of some $31K a year. That's less than my town of some 5,000 people takes in in traffic fines each year. Where is that "tight government regulation"???

Fishin' - I did some research too and according to an AP article dated Aug 24, 2005 called "Congress Yet to Pass Indecency Law" - the number of fines is drastically higher - the AP reported that:

Quote:
In 2004, the FCC issued a record $7.9 million in fines, including a $550,000 fine against Viacom Inc., which owns CBS, for the 2004 Super Bowl halftime show featuring Jackson.

Where did you get your information?

The way I see it - is right now there's enough regulation and efforts for stricter regulation that content is already being affected - like I said before - TV Watch's website has a list of recent programming that has been altered or withheld due to threats of fines etc. It was pretty shocking to me and quite an eye-opener, personally, to this whole censorship issue.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 7 Nov, 2005 09:23 pm
dancingnancy wrote:
fishin' wrote:

Fishin' - I did some research too and according to an AP article dated Aug 24, 2005 called "Congress Yet to Pass Indecency Law" - the number of fines is drastically higher - the AP reported that:

Quote:
In 2004, the FCC issued a record $7.9 million in fines, including a $550,000 fine against Viacom Inc., which owns CBS, for the 2004 Super Bowl halftime show featuring Jackson.

Where did you get your information?

The way I see it - is right now there's enough regulation and efforts for stricter regulation that content is already being affected - like I said before - TV Watch's website has a list of recent programming that has been altered or withheld due to threats of fines etc. It was pretty shocking to me and quite an eye-opener, personally, to this whole censorship issue.

This is one of the sources. The rest were also on the FCC WWW site.

While the $$ amountg of the fines certianly went up later in 2004 (half of that $7.5 million was the Viacom deal) the number of cases actually fined went from anywhere between 3 and 7 per year to 12. The significant part there being that the size of the individual fines increased drastically. There were none in the 1st half of 2005 at all.

While I'm not a huge fan of the enormous fines when you put the number of incidents in context with the amount of programming available across the entire country 24 hours a day the number of incidents resulting in a fine is still a piddling.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2005 07:47 am
I wanted to revive this topic because of the CSI NY airing on Wednesday.

The final line of the show (Which was fantastic by the way) was "Go rot in hell you son of a bitch". It was at 11pm at night on a major network. While I agree that it was pretty intense language for a prime time show, it was the only ending I could see fitting.

What did/do you think of it? Is that what people are concerned about? Was it ok since it was late?
0 Replies

dancingnancy

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2005 04:24 pm
Bella Dea this is a great illustration. Yes, that was harsh, but CSI comes on late for a reason - it's not a "family" show. I think that was very appropriate for the timeslot, genre and audience. Furthermore this goes back to the very core of what I'm saying and what TV Watch seems to be saying - don't stop content - have responsibility over your kids so they're not watching CSI at 11 pm on a schoolnight - ya know?
0 Replies