See the TV show where Bush says God told me to invade Iraq

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 01:58 pm
God told me to invade Iraq, Bush tells Palestinian ministers

In "Elusive Peace: Israel and the Arabs," a major three-part series on BBC TWO (at 9.00pm on Monday 10, Monday 17 and Monday 24 October), Abu Mazen, Palestinian Prime Minister, and Nabil Shaath, his Foreign Minister, describe their first meeting with President Bush in June 2003.

Nabil Shaath says: "President Bush said to all of us: 'I'm driven with a mission from God. God would tell me, "George, go and fight those terrorists in Afghanistan." And I did, and then God would tell me, "George, go and end the tyranny in Iraq ..." And I did. And now, again, I feel God's words coming to me, "Go get the Palestinians their state and get the Israelis their security, and get peace in the Middle East." And by God I'm gonna do it.'"
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 401 • Replies: 7
No top replies

flyboy804

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 02:20 pm
I do not doubt that these quotations were presented on the BBC. Nor do I doubt that the Palestinian ministers made these statements. Though I do not consider President Bush astute in the field of diplomacy, I strongly doubt that he made the statements as presented.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 05:05 pm
flyboy804 wrote:
.....I strongly doubt that he [Bush] made the statements as presented.

Why?
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 05:24 pm
While I believe that President Bush is far from bright, he is not so foolish as to make such statements. In spite of his many references to his god, I have never heard him say directly that god has spoken to him,
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 05:29 pm
Considering the importance of religion in that part of the world, Bush might have thought he was talking their language.
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 05:34 pm
Even if they accepted the fact that he was in direct contact with his god (which I doubt), I don't think it would hold much weight with them.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 05:46 pm
God most probably told him to tell them......
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 06:54 pm
flyboy804 wrote:
Even if they accepted the fact that he was in direct contact with his god (which I doubt), I don't think it would hold much weight with them.

Considering the importance of religion in that part of the world, it is entirely possible that he thoght it would.

This is a president who likes to think he can make unique, unconventional bonds with other leaders. There was that business of holding the sheik's hand, and don't forget he jocularly called the head of Russia "Pooty-poot".
0 Replies