Oh no! Wallace and Gromit heritage destroyed

nimh

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 10:43 am
Quote:
Blaze destroys Wallace and Gromit's history

Monday October 10

LONDON (Reuters) - All the props and sets from the Wallace and Gromit movies were feared destroyed in a fire on Monday, the day after the plasticine pals' debut feature film went straight to the top of the North American box office.

Production house Aardman Animations said a blaze at a warehouse in Bristol was thought to have wiped out its entire history, including models, memorabilia and awards from the Oscar-winning Wallace and Gromit short films.

"We woke up to the most fantastic news this morning that 'Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit' had debuted in the United States at number one," said company spokesman Arthur Sheriff.

"But this has really thrown us," he added. "It's our entire history."

Sixty firefighters battled flames 100 feet (30.5 metres) high that engulfed the warehouse at around 5.30 a.m. on Monday, causing the roof to collapse, a fire service spokeswoman said.

"It looks like most of the contents of the building have been destroyed," she said, adding the cause of the blaze was under investigation.

Wallace and Gromit are the creations of animator Nick Park, who was also the brains behind the 2000 animated feature film "Chicken Run".

He was said to be philosophical about the fire, saying it was put into context by the massive earthquake in Pakistan.

"Nick has been on the phone and while this is devastating, in light of the other news he has been hearing on the radio, it is immaterial," Sheriff said.

Park's latest chart-topping film revolves around intrepid inventor Wallace and his faithful canine sidekick Gromit. The adventure sees the pair using a complex vacuum system to protect vegetables from a rabbit problem in their village.

The film took $16 million (9.1 million pounds) in its first three days of release in North America, more than movies featuring the likes of Cameron Diaz and Jodie Foster.

Aardman Productions, established in 1976, was also behind "Morph" -- another plasticine figure whose adventures on the BBC won an army of young fans -- and helped make the celebrated video "Sledgehammer" for singer Peter Gabriel.

Sheriff said although all archive material could be lost, the fire should not affect the company's future productions.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,906 • Replies: 15
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 10:49 am
Oh sad.

I love Wallace and Gromit and can't wait to see the movie but I didn't vote in your poll because my favorite Nick Park movie is "Creature Comforts" the documentary style movie about zoo animals.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 10:51 am
Oh, how awful, what a tough thing to have happen, with the current film being such a big success.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 11:04 am
BBB
Fires are always bad, especially if there is loss of life. This fire really saddens me. I love Wallace and Grommit since I first discovered them many years ago. I hope a speedy, if not full recovery is possible.

BBB
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 11:21 am
Oh yes, Boom - Creature Comforts! Darn it, forgot that one.

Cant edit the poll anymore tho...
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 12:27 pm
I heart Gromit.

Wallace too, but especially Gromit.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 12:33 pm
Really though, Creature Comforts isn't Wallace and Gromit so it doesn't belong on your poll.

Still, Creature Comforts is my favorite animated film of all time and I always appreciate someone reminding me to watch it again.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 03:25 pm
Oh no!!!!!

And they are ALL my favourites!!! (I haven't seen wererabbit yet)
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 11:16 pm
Sad
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 11:50 pm
Here's something to cheer up the W and G addicts.

Try the videos......especially the contraptions.

Marvellous!

http://java.europe.yahoo.com/uk/uip/wallaceandgromit/index.html#

http://k.domaindlx.com/lordellpus/wg.jpg
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 06:31 am
Nobody looked yet then?.....I'll just make another post to put it up the list again......

Hello?........we've got one!
0 Replies

barrythemod

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2005 01:35 pm
Were-Rabbit is the best laugh-out-loud film I've seen this year ! A cracking film Very Happy
0 Replies

pachelbel

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2005 05:13 pm
That's too bad, really! I love all of Nick Park's films about Wallace and Gromit. Actually own a few videos. Haven't seen the new releases yet. Are they as good as the earlier ones?
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 4 Oct, 2007 09:37 am
Wallace and Gromit are back
Wallace and Gromit are back on TV to make dough
By Sherna Noah
Published: 04 October 2007
Independent UK

Wallace and Gromit are returning to the small screen for the first time in more than 10 years in a new television adventure to be filmed at the Aardman studios in Bristol.

Trouble At' Mill features the cheese-loving inventor and his faithful sidekick's attempts to run a bakery business.

The half-hour adventure will be filmed at the studios in January and shown on BBC1 late next year.

Fans will find that 62 West Wallaby Street has been converted into a granary with ovens and robotic kneading arms.

The Plasticine pair have started home deliveries and built a windmill on top of the house to grind corn and bake bread.

Business is booming, but the dog, Gromit, is concerned that 12 local bakers have "disappeared" in the past year.

Gromit's master Wallace has been distracted by the new love interest, bread enthusiast and local beauty, the dough-eyed Piella Bakewell.

Trouble at' Mill will be the first half-hour television episode for Wallace and Gromit since The Wrong Trousers (1993) and A Close Shave (1995).

It will be the first outing for Wallace and Gromit since the Curse of the Were-Rabbit, which won an Oscar last year.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2007 10:03 pm
scotland yard needs to find out where those penguins were when the fire started, it smells a bit fishy.

just saying.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2007 10:13 pm
Oh boy! Very Happy A new Wallace and Gromit, that's great news.
0 Replies