At least I didn't get there by slaying people

dlowan

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 11:34 pm
sozobe wrote:
This is so interesting. I seem to really like contrasts and juxtapositions in art, and this is chock-full. The classical treatment of an incredibly non-classical person. A place that tends to feature dead white men featuring a (currently) alive, and in that rendering ultra-female (breasts, pregnant belly) female. The beautiful with the horrible. How the horrible is actually beautiful in its way. Shame and pride. All kinds of good stuff mixed up together.

And technically very adept, too. Though I think the exact same rendering of a beauty-pageant-type would leave me cold.

And the stark whiteness of the medium......making a statement?

I find the statue incredibly sensuous.

Remember, I thought the armlesslessness etc was because the artist had simply done the torso and belly, I did not register the fact that the model was thus unendowed.

Loved it more when I found the truth, because it seemed so bravely sensuous and monumental.....
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 11:39 pm
I'll report back after I read the Harvard law article (accessible if you google images and find that photo) tomorrow. I don't want to lie awake making arguments tonight.

I think I've read it before some years ago. I'll probably still disagree, with my own odd view of the life of the space as primary, but.. y'never know.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 11:40 pm
"Did that inspire you to play with printmaking, JL?"
I DID find much of the work wonderful, but a bit too technical and subtle for my taste. I like to see it, but I'd rather splash, scoop. scrape and brush colorful paints on a canvas or paper.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 11:41 pm
Agree, dlowan.

What would you think about the statue being in the space if it wasn't so gorgeously (to me) done?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 11:47 pm
I'd still be for it, er, at least she didn't get there by slaying people; however, its beauty makes it more of a slamdunk to me. (Again, since it's a temporary installment, this is hypothetical.)

I guess I'd like to see more info on local response, not to make up my own mind, but for curiosity re the development of opinions.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 12:07 am
It is necessary that I be repulsed and in the next instant confronted by the strength and beauty of this woman and thus women. This is not a woman proving how strong she can be by being like a man and it is not a woman proving how beautiful she is by how much I'd want to have sex with her.

She's earned her spot next to the a**hole with the gun and the sword. A statement long over due. The artist nailed it.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 12:10 am
Which brings up, should the guy with the gun be rotated out?

(I know, I'm baddd...)
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 12:13 am
Women Rolling Eyes

(just kidding)

Come to think of it maybe your right. One thing at a time though. People are slow.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 12:18 am
http://www.london.gov.uk/images/mayor/trafalgar-square-works-large.jpg

I'd like to check out this placement of and size of the sculpture.

Thinking of a room of roman busts at a Capitoline museum - I always yawned at busts until I saw that small room - why not more, lined up, or not exactly lined up, on some fine granite to relate to the site and its history, but also to populate the place with some diversity..
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 12:22 am
<notice, you can kid me, amigo>
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 12:26 am
Well, I can see by the construction going on, there are already lengthily worked out plans for this project. Hmmm, wonder what they are..
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 12:30 am
Thats a picture of traflagar square?

I've dreamed of going there since I was a little kid. Ever since I read 'Down and out in Paris and London' Orwells first book.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 12:52 am
Yeh, I just google imaged it. (I recently learned it is useful to check google not just for weblinks, but images....)

I have no idea if the construction in the photo is now or years ago, though it would make sense they have a set of temporary exhibits in a construction situation.

I haven't set foot in England except for a certain enclosed room at Heathrow...
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 01:03 am
In my mind it looked alot differant (traflager square). I just learnd the image thing myself. Very useful and fun.

About the kidding. I'ts hard to know what anybody is thinking communicating like this. If you ask me It's very limited. I've been thinking of the sociology of this whole forum thing. It's very interesting when you think about it.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 01:14 am
True, given the wide variation in experience and views..
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 01:16 am
Once you get to know individuals over time, you can make kidding assumptions.. most of the time.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 01:17 am
Thing is, it isn't always one's own fault... we all have prickly points, or relaxed points of view..
quite a merry circus.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 01:25 am
Interesting.

Hey, Your up late? You think dyslexia minds us cluttering up his thread?
0 Replies

goodstein-shapiro

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2005 11:31 am
Good photo of Sierra's piece...some comments on the placement: The sculpture is placed directly in front of the main exit and entrance to the plaza, thus shutting in the people and objects on the plaza.
Psychologically, disastrous...for the people on the plaza are likely those who work inside the skyscrapers at their desks and cubicles 8 hours daily. No escape, even at lunch, from the tedium!
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2005 01:42 am
goodstein-shapiro wrote:
Good photo of Sierra's piece...some comments on the placement: The sculpture is placed directly in front of the main exit and entrance to the plaza, thus shutting in the people and objects on the plaza.
Psychologically, disastrous...for the people on the plaza are likely those who work inside the skyscrapers at their desks and cubicles 8 hours daily. No escape, even at lunch, from the tedium!

good points - I remember being shown a slide of this at uni and thinking it was utterly hideous and totally ruined the square - even in another setting I would find it difficult to relate to, it's too much about dominating a huge space, too blocking, too much like the way that the buildings in cities block the sky - I want more airiness and fluidity as an antidote to that. The curve of it is heavy and it doesn't feel fluid to me - just a personal reaction.

Not that it's suitable in a city setting but that's what I like about Goldsworthy's work, the way it sits easily in its environment - what Osso calls 'fit'.
0 Replies