Impeacheable? Bush?

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 08:20 am
squinney wrote:
Seems pretty straight forward, Brandon. These were statements made by Republicans about Clinton.

Do they not apply to Bush as well?

We'll see.

No, Clinton was under oath in a courtroom when he lied. Is this difficult to understand or something?

Having said that, I thought the idea of impeaching Clinton was absurd.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 09:13 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
No, Clinton was under oath in a courtroom when he lied.

No he wasn't.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 09:18 am
joefromchicago wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

No he wasn't.

Correct, Joe. Clinton lied under oath alright, but it was in his deposition in the Paula Jones lawsuit .... which was not taken in a courtroom.

Always a good idea to remind ourselves where these lies took place.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 09:26 am
Ticomaya wrote:
joefromchicago wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

No he wasn't.

Correct, Joe. Clinton lied under oath alright, but it was in his deposition in the Paula Jones lawsuit .... which was not taken in a courtroom.

Yeah, like in real estate: the important thing is location, location, location.

Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 09:28 am
joefromchicago wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
joefromchicago wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

No he wasn't.

Yeah, like in real estate: the important thing is location, location, location.

Rolling Eyes

Absolutely. Telling a lie under oath in a nice quiet deposition is hardly the same thing as telling a lie under oath in a big noisy Grand Jury courtroom.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 10:14 am
Well, you guys are probably more in tune with these details being lawyers, but he did lie under oath, which is in a completely different legal category from an informal lie, which I don't admit happened anyway. The latter is not illegal.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 10:56 am
Ticomaya wrote:
Absolutely. Telling a lie under oath in a nice quiet deposition is hardly the same thing as telling a lie under oath in a big noisy Grand Jury courtroom.

Grand jury proceedings may be noisy in your part of the world, but around here judges are capable of maintaining order in their courtrooms.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 11:17 am
joefromchicago wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:

Grand jury proceedings may be noisy in your part of the world, but around here judges are capable of maintaining order in their courtrooms.

Actually, Clinton's grand jury testimony occurred in the Map Room at the White House. Probably very quiet.

All of our federal courtrooms are old, big, and have bad accoustics.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 03:10 pm
blatham wrote:
Your argument is meritless, and you likely know it.

Well if it is, I don't know it.

blatham wrote:
How the vote turned out is irrelevant.

I disagree. If one party ignores the evidence to place their guy above the law, I think that opens them to charges of hypocrisy if they later want their opponents to be accountable to the law.

blatham wrote:
Your charge of hypocrisy for dems is itself a hypocritical claim.

You think I am decrying hypocrisy while being a hypocrite myself?

Where is the hypocrisy on my part?

blatham wrote:
Republicans set impeachment in motion for alleged crimes. Dems may do precisely the same to Bush without valid charge of unique hypocisy.

That sounds good when viewed by itself. You have two seemingly equal events of a party pursuing impeachment for the leader of the opposing party.

However, when you add to the picture that one of the parties placed their guy above the law, and they then want the law to apply to their opponents, the hypocrisy becomes clear.

blatham wrote:
Your formula would have the Clinton impeachment as proper but ANY subsequent impeachment of a Republican president hypocritical.

Those are the moral consequences of the Democrats placing Clinton above the law.

blatham wrote:
Clearly that doesn't make any sense. It would be nice if you played straight and went for the truth/logic of the question here rather than a tired partisan one-upsmanship.

I always play straight.

I am not sure if this is partisan or not. I am just weary of the Democrats viewing the law as "Republicans always guilty; Democrats always innocent".

blatham wrote:
A nod to the facts...ten Republican senators voted "not guilty".

Yes. They had to contend with a lot of Democratic voters who were livid at the notion that Clinton might be accountable to the law.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 06:33 pm
Oh, for goodness sakes. Your post is nothing but partisan. And you seem to have the notion that time began in 92. Shall we speak about the Republican encouragement for Ollie North's pardon? Or about that pardon? Or about Bill Casey or Nixon, his crimes, his pardon?

Shall we discuss the number of investigations into Clinton and his administration launched by Republicans? Shall we contrast with the refusal of present congressional or senate Republicans to strive for a fair match and investigate Bush equally(over 100 compared to a handful)?

Look at your very last sentence. Clinton's poll numbers reflected that it wasn't just Democrat voters who stood behind him. Why be so uncareful in your statements and thinking?

Quote:
I always play straight.

I am not sure if this is partisan or not. I am just weary of the Democrats viewing the law as "Republicans always guilty; Democrats always innocent".

Well, feel free to be sure that it is partisan. I suspect the Democrats are just a tad weary of claims your side might make regarding their own moral purity in the light of history.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 06:54 am
Apropos the preceding...
Quote:
It does the heart good to note, as I must, that some of those implicated in the Abramoff mess were among the foremost faux moralists of the Clinton years. Two of those are former Tom DeLay aides Tony Rudy and Michael Scanlon, both of whom went on to become satellites of Abramoff, sharing in his largess and, now, his infamy. It was Scanlon who wrote a poetic e-mail to Rudy during the Clinton impeachment proceedings beginning, "God bless you Tony Rudy," and suggesting that instead of mercy, Bill Clinton be beaten "over the head with a baseball bat." The bat's now in other hands.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/01/04/AR2006010401588.html
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 10:47 pm
blatham wrote:
Oh, for goodness sakes. Your post is nothing but partisan.

I am unsure how my dislike of Democratic hypocrisy is necessarily partisan.

blatham wrote:
And you seem to have the notion that time began in 92. Shall we speak about the Republican encouragement for Ollie North's pardon? Or about that pardon?

Oliver North wasn't pardoned. Congress gave him immunity in exchange for his testimony.

blatham wrote:
Or about Bill Casey or Nixon, his crimes, his pardon?

Don't know much about Bill Casey, but when the Republicans saw that Nixon was guilty they went up to the White House to demand his resignation.

That is an ethical standard that post-Clinton Democrats can only dream about.

blatham wrote:
Shall we discuss the number of investigations into Clinton and his administration launched by Republicans?

I thought Janet Reno launched the investigations.

blatham wrote:
Shall we contrast with the refusal of present congressional or senate Republicans to strive for a fair match and investigate Bush equally(over 100 compared to a handful)?

I supported renewal of the Independent Council law. Both the Republicans and the Democrats disagreed with me on that.

blatham wrote:
Look at your very last sentence. Clinton's poll numbers reflected that it wasn't just Democrat voters who stood behind him. Why be so uncareful in your statements and thinking?

I think "standing behind him" is a bit strong for the views of the independents. The polls showed the independents opposed to removing Clinton from office, but they also showed a large sense of "he brought it on himself" among the independents. They wouldn't have been too upset if Clinton had been removed from office.

That said, the independents were ethically bankrupt for their role in placing Clinton above the law.

blatham wrote:
I suspect the Democrats are just a tad weary of claims your side might make regarding their own moral purity in the light of history.

Actually, I'm a conservative Democrat. I just don't let my membership in the party get in the way of my dislike of Democratic abuses.

blatham wrote:
Apropos the preceding...
Quote:
It does the heart good to note, as I must, that some of those implicated in the Abramoff mess were among the foremost faux moralists of the Clinton years. Two of those are former Tom DeLay aides Tony Rudy and Michael Scanlon, both of whom went on to become satellites of Abramoff, sharing in his largess and, now, his infamy. It was Scanlon who wrote a poetic e-mail to Rudy during the Clinton impeachment proceedings beginning, "God bless you Tony Rudy," and suggesting that instead of mercy, Bill Clinton be beaten "over the head with a baseball bat." The bat's now in other hands.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/01/04/AR2006010401588.html

After all the bogus charges the Democrats brought against Newt, I remain skeptical of any charges against Republican Congressional leaders.

I put the odds at 50/50 that the charges against Delay are a setup.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 03:55 am
Recall...

http://www.cagle.com/working/060105/matson.gif
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 03:59 am
www.votetoimpeach.org
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 07:10 am
blatham wrote:
Quote:
Oh, for goodness sakes. Your post is nothing but partisan.

oralloy said:
Quote:
I am unsure how my dislike of Democratic hypocrisy is necessarily partisan.

It wouldn't be, except of course that it's precisely as unipolar as that which you declaim.

blatham wrote:
Quote:
Shall we discuss the number of investigations into Clinton and his administration launched by Republicans?

oralloy
Quote:

Five separate investigations of "whitewater" alone, plus 'filegate', 'travelgate', Vincent Foster and countless others, all resulting in exonerations. These were all launched by Reno? Of course not. But where and if Reno did launch an investigation, that hardly supports your case of dem hypocrisy. And you leave unaddressed (playing it straight again) the huge disparity in investigations launched.

blatham wrote:
Quote:
Or about Bill Casey or Nixon, his crimes, his pardon?

oralloy
Quote:
Don't know much about Bill Casey, but when the Republicans saw that Nixon was guilty they went up to the White House to demand his resignation.

They did? They all marched up there, outraged and full of honor? And they marched up there right at the outset as the horror of what that administration was up to came to light too. Please. After months of revelations and the calculation that Nixon was going to be convicted, then they convinced him to resign. Your handy mis-statement of what actually happened proposes a Republican ethical standard of which you only dream about.

oralloy
Quote:
Oliver North wasn't pardoned. Congress gave him immunity in exchange for his testimony.

Thankyou for the historical clarification.

blatham wrote:
Quote:
Shall we contrast with the refusal of present congressional or senate Republicans to strive for a fair match and investigate Bush equally(over 100 compared to a handful)?

oralloy
Quote:
I supported renewal of the Independent Council law. Both the Republicans and the Democrats disagreed with me on that.

As did I. But again, you leave unaddressed the key issue of unbalanced standard, playing it straight.

blatham wrote:
Quote:
I suspect the Democrats are just a tad weary of claims your side might make regarding their own moral purity in the light of history.

oralloy
Quote:
Actually, I'm a conservative Democrat. I just don't let my membership in the party get in the way of my dislike of Democratic abuses.

Straining....straining...straining hard to credit this claim to party affiliation. I'd give it about a 50/50 chance of being straight, or less.

Look, oralloy. You really aren't playing it straight in this discussion. You are consistently ommiting all of the history which doesn't support thesis of unipolar hypocisy. That's a rhetorical move and is itself hypocritical. That makes it pretty boring as a mental exercise.

But you're pretty slick, so you'll surely find others to engage you.
0 Replies

Mortkat

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 03:22 am
Blotham knows NOTHING of the duplicity of Bill Clinton,the most immoral president ever to have been president, Oralloy. Since it is obvious that Blotham doesn't read(he thinks he knows everything he needs to know) it is obvious that he is unfamiliar with the work of the vaunted Presidential Historian, Fred I. Greenstein. Professor Greenstein, in his fine book--The Presidential Difference--wrote:

P. 188 (quote)

"The politically gifted, Emotionally challenged William Jefferson Clinton provides yet another indication of the fundamental importance of emotional intelligence in the modern presidency"

and

P. 186

"The oxymoronic organization of the Clinton White House has been compared to a little boys's soccer team with no assigned positions and each player chasing the ball"

Furthermore, one of the USA's most distinguished jurists has nailed Clinton's lying hide to the wall. Richard A. Posner, the former chief Judge of the Seventh Circuit Court of the USA wrote in his book- "An Affair of State-

P. 54

"Even if, as I do not for a moment believe, none of President Clinton's lies under oath amounted to perjury in the strict technical sense, they were false and misleading statements designed to derail legal proceedings, and so they were additional acts of obstruction of justice....A conservative estimate of the calculation of the actual sentence a person found guilty of the charges Clinton is facing would be a prison sentence of thirty to thirty-seven months"

and

P. 266

For those who think that authority depends on mystery, the shattering of the Presidential mystique has been a disaster for which Clinton ought of rights to have paid with his job.

As I said, Oralloy, Blotham knows NOTHING about Clinton.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 04:30 am
http://www.cagle.com/working/060106/matson.gif
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 10:29 pm
blatham wrote:
oralloy wrote:

Five separate investigations of "whitewater" alone, plus 'filegate', 'travelgate', Vincent Foster and countless others, all resulting in exonerations. These were all launched by Reno? Of course not.

Well, I as far as I know she launched only one investigation of Whitewater, but I think she launched all the others.

There were some convictions with Whitewater. And enough evidence of misconduct to get Hillary disbarred (though of course she was given a pass on that).

blatham wrote:
oralloy wrote:
but when the Republicans saw that Nixon was guilty they went up to the White House to demand his resignation.

They did? They all marched up there, outraged and full of honor? And they marched up there right at the outset as the horror of what that administration was up to came to light too. Please. After months of revelations and the calculation that Nixon was going to be convicted, then they convinced him to resign.

There was only one reason the calculations showed that Nixon would be convicted.

Republicans, upon becoming convinced that Nixon had done what he was charged with, decided that they would vote to convict him.

Had the Democrats had the same ethical outlook under Clinton, the calculations also would have shown that he would be convicted.

And conversely, had the Republicans under Nixon had the same ethical fiber that the Democrats demonstrated under Clinton, the calculations would have shown that Nixon had nothing to worry about.

blatham wrote:
oralloy wrote:
blatham wrote:

As did I. But again, you leave unaddressed the key issue of unbalanced standard, playing it straight.

What's to address?

The Democrats and Republicans together ensured that Bush would not face the same level of investigations, and both you and I objected to the move.

blatham wrote:
Look, oralloy. You really aren't playing it straight in this discussion.

Sure I am.

blatham wrote:
You are consistently ommiting all of the history which doesn't support thesis of unipolar hypocisy.

That is because I don't think the evidence I am omitting harms my case.

I don't think the Republican Party has much to be ashamed of from the way they acted in past scandals.

But if you want to bring up evidence that you believe is relevant, I'll address it.
0 Replies