Grapenut pudding recipe needed ASAP!

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2005 03:35 pm
Hi, Everybody!
I am in need of a good grapenut pudding recipe. Many of my customers have asked about it, so, I thought I'd surprise them when we re-open on Tuesday morning! I was hoping someone may have the recipe with some sort of twist or unexpected flavor. How about it....anyone out there got the creative juices flowing???
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,239 • Replies: 14
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2005 04:04 pm
Here's one - just click on this link

http://www.virtualcities.com/ons/ma/c/mac17017.htm
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2005 04:32 pm
I don't have a recipe. I just wanted to say hi to Chun Chun. Good to see you back.
0 Replies

chun chun

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2005 05:48 pm
Hi, Swimpy! It feels good to BE back!

And, thank YOU, ossobuco! How funny is THIS....the link you gave me brought me an instant recipe that happens to be from a B&B about 25 miles from me! (Very small world!)....The recipe is pretty basic, but this one should be a little bit richer than the others because it calls for 4 eggs instead of the 2 that the other recipes had.....We shall see! Thanks for the quick response!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2005 05:51 pm
Well, me, I'd add something else, just to make it yours, have no idea what. Maybe not today, but when you play with it another time.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2005 05:53 pm
It's kinda funny.
I think of grapenuts pudding as a verra verra Massachusetts thing.
It's the only place I've ever run across it.

<and it's something I look for when I'm there>
0 Replies

chun chun

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2005 05:55 pm
I couldn't agree with you more! The wheels have already started turning! What do you think about adding some chopped pecans and then drizzling a light caramel sauce over it?
0 Replies

chun chun

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2005 06:07 pm
ehBeth, I think you may be right...it IS pretty indigenous to this area. The "old Yankees" find it as a comfort food. It's really pretty bland, but there's something about a smooth custard with a nutty flavor and a pile of whipped cream on it, that says, "curl up with me on a cool fall or winter's night, and enjoy one of the simple pleasures of life!"
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2005 06:10 pm
Well, I've never heard of it, and have possibly only tasted a teaspoon of grapenuts decades ago and gone, pfui... but I can see it working, and drizzled caramel and pecans sounds wonderful. Go for it...
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 05:52 am
Mulled this over last night and early this morning.

What I particularly liked about the grapenut pudding that I had in Ocean View <north of Rockport, MA>, was the texture. So I likely wouldn't try a pudding with nuts added <particularly pecans, which I think are grimace-making>. I'd ask for sauce on the side, just in case, doncha know.

What I might try, being a traditionalist in the world of comfort food, is a grapenut pudding that had more spices in it. I'd consider cardamom, mace, cinnamon ... that range of spices - maybe a quick grind of black pepper which makes some sweet things brighter in flavour.

~~~~~~~~~

There is a place here called Tropical Treets - makes wonderful Grapenut Ice Cream. Now I want it to be warm again, so I can go get some ice cream at Tropical Treets.

<edit - I'd test it with cloves as well>
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 06:59 am
I have passed this thread a dozen times. The first time that I read it, I read it as "grapefruit pudding", which I thought was rather strange. Now, every time I pass this thread, it still reads, "Grapefruit Pudding" to me.

In the interest of sharing a serendipitious moment with my A2K family, not to mention the preservation of my sanity, I offer the following:

Yes Virginia, there IS a Grapefruit Pudding!!! Laughing

http://www.fns.usda.gov/fdd/facts/hhpfacts/FS-JuiceGrapefruitCanned.pdf

Quote:
Easy Grapefruit Parfaits
1 4-oz package cook and serve vanilla pudding
1¾ cups grapefruit juice
8 ounces vanilla lowfat yogurt
¾ cup crushed graham crackers

Recipe Provided by Florida Department of Citrus

1. Prepare pudding mix according to package directions, substituting the grapefruit juice for the milk.
2. After cooking, chill the pudding.
3. After chilling, fold the yogurt into the pudding.
4. Divide 1/3 of pudding among six glasses.
5. Sprinkle with half of the crushed graham crackers.
6. Repeat layers, then top with remaining 1/3 of pudding.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 04:44 pm
What do you do with the other 1/3 of the pudding? Is that the cook's share?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 04:48 pm
Wy- Nah, that's part of the layers. But, knowing me, I would probably scarf a dollop of the stuff for myself! Laughing
0 Replies

chun chun

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2005 08:11 pm
Thanks for the suggestions, ehBeth.....Thought about all the spices you listed and then went with 5 spice powder! It sort of encompassed everything!....I liked it!

I guess we can consider this topic closed....Thanks again!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 16 Oct, 2005 06:47 am
nonono - tell us - is it delicious - is it worth the drive?

Very Happy

5 spice - now why didn't I think of that?
0 Replies