I offer my service ADVICE!

tye8456

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2005 12:25 am
I have worked in the mental health, Assisted Living, & Dementia Care (Alzhiemers) for the past 9 years as an Administrator. I see alot of ?'s about what I should do about mom or dad, their health, anything. If I have not ran into the issue before I will tell you strait out. "I don't know", but try me... ask away.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,091 • Replies: 3
No top replies

CCRoberts

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2005 01:32 pm
Diaper Issue - Elderly Mother
tye8456 wrote:
I have worked in the mental health, Assisted Living, & Dementia Care (Alzhiemers) for the past 9 years as an Administrator. I see alot of ?'s about what I should do about mom or dad, their health, anything. If I have not ran into the issue before I will tell you strait out. "I don't know", but try me... ask away.
At my wits end with elderly (89yr) mother, who i believe has "selective" dementia. I say "selective" since it seems to only come-on when she is being unreasonable about wearing diapers. Other than attaching with suspender or duct tape (haha) what can I do?? She has been a bit self-sufficient, so I leave it up to her to dress herself, go to bathroom etc., but lately she has been falling - usually out of bed and thats where I find her - butt naked. Not only is this a health problem for me and our pets, but spending alot of time and money shampooing the carpet, washing bed clothes and bedding, etc. How can I reason with her? Yes, have run the entire gamet of sympathy, talking and screaming. Help!
0 Replies

ivystar928

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2008 11:04 pm
If she really just won't wear any kind of pull-up or brief, and you can't trust her to make it to the bathroom every time, all you can really do is try to contain it. You can pad her bed so if she does mess it it's easily cleaned. You could work out a toileting schedule with her, to help with incontinence.

As for her falling, the only real options are either putting an alarm on her and-or the bed so if she does get up it will alert you, or putting extra pads and cushions on the floor beside her bed so if she falls she's landing on something soft and clean-able. Try yoga pads maybe.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 01:13 am
ivystar928 wrote:
If she really just won't wear any kind of pull-up or brief, and you can't trust her to make it to the bathroom every time, all you can really do is try to contain it. You can pad her bed so if she does mess it it's easily cleaned. You could work out a toileting schedule with her, to help with incontinence.

As for her falling, the only real options are either putting an alarm on her and-or the bed so if she does get up it will alert you, or putting extra pads and cushions on the floor beside her bed so if she falls she's landing on something soft and clean-able. Try yoga pads maybe.

Ivy, you should realise that the original posts on this thread are from 2005.

If you realised this and still want to contribute thats ok.
0 Replies