Federal Department of the Future

Gargamel

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2005 11:03 am
Well, the alternative to alternative resources for energy is NO energy, and total anarchy. People were going cuckoo around here after Katrina, and we only lost power for a week!
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2005 11:19 am
Europe has been working on this problem for a while, windpower-Denmark, improved nuclear-Germany, hydrogen-iceland. In this country we seem to need a crises to concentrate peoples minds.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2005 11:21 am
BBB
British Petroleum seems to be far ahead of the other major oil companies in alternative fuel research.

BBB
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2005 11:26 am
world-wide water shortages
I hope I'm not alive when the world-wide water shortages begin.

Many parts of the world are desperate for clean fresh drinking water. Partly from being in persistent drought areas and partly from mal-distribution of water. Sometimes the mal-distribution is for political reasons; using water instead of bullets to overwhelm a foe most frequently in tribal societies.

I once asked the question is all of the water on Earth all the water we've ever had---just recycled? Never got a definitive answer.

BBB
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2005 11:31 am
Re: world-wide water shortages
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:

I once asked the question is all of the water on Earth all the water we've ever had---just recycled? Never got a definitive answer.

BBB

Probably because no one knows. There is a lot of water floating (no pun intended) around in the solar system but I don't think anyone has calculated how much of it drops on to the earth on a regular basis.

Brandon might know.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2005 11:44 am
Re: world-wide water shortages
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
I hope I'm not alive when the world-wide water shortages begin.

Many parts of the world are desperate for clean fresh drinking water. Partly from being in persistent drought areas and partly from mal-distribution of water. Sometimes the mal-distribution is for political reasons; using water instead of bullets to overwhelm a foe most frequently in tribal societies.

BBB
This is what I think about. Imagine If tomorrow morning you woke up and the water stopped coming out of the tap and out of your neighbors and your neighbors neighbors. Think about what would really happen.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2005 12:17 pm
Since Sliced Bread
Since Sliced Bread
Andy Stern

Why is it that in an era of huge technological breakthroughs, Washington hasn't produced any great ideas to improve the lives of working families in nearly four decades?

Ideas like Medicare, Social Security, forty-hour work week and unemployment insurance have helped millions achieve the American Dream. They continue to be important and very relevant, but they're ancient history, in a way.

Where are the bold ideas to meet today's new global economy?

Our political system has lost touch with ordinary Americans and stopped listening to them. Washington is more like a cesspool than a fountain of new ideas. And the "experts" have not been successful. Beginning today, every American, from the janitor to the community college student will have a place to share and debate their ideas.

Since Sliced Bread is "a national contest for fresh, common sense ideas to strengthen our economy and improve the day-to-day lives of working men and women." It invites all Americans to come forward with ideas on how to create new businesses and good-paying jobs. It's looking for creative ways to give American workers an edge in a global economy and ways for them to keep it.

The deadline is December 5th. A panel of distinguished Americans across party and professional lines, including Bill Bradley, Ed Rollins, Esther Dyson, Mellody Hobson and Wendy Kopp, will select the top 21 ideas, and then the public will vote online to determine the top three winners (to be announced in early February). Grand prize is $100,000, and two runners-up will receive $50,000 each.

Ordinary Americans need to fill the idea void in our current political system. The ideas are out there; they just haven't reached Washington. It's time for a change in the way policy is developed. I invite all Americans to join this important national conversation about the future.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2005 12:37 pm
Back off lady! The 100 gran is Amigo's. All mine I tell you! Amigo's boat just sailed in. Gotta get started. I'm outta here. See you in the funny papers. Laughing
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2005 12:41 pm
Amigo
Amigo wrote:
Back off lady! The 100 gran is Amigo's. All mine I tell you! Amigo's boat just sailed in. Gotta get started. I'm outta here. See you in the funny papers. Laughing

Amigo, how can you be so mean to a retired old bag trying to live on Social Security plus selling my body?

BBB Laughing
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2005 01:03 pm
Laughing
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2005 02:17 pm
BBB
I hope business is good since I know that living on SS is tough. :wink:
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2005 02:38 pm
Re: Federal Department of the Future
Sturgis wrote:
As far as making a department solely dedicated to the future and only the future that seems rather silly since Iran and Pakistan along with North Korea are going to blow us all (the entire planet) to smithereens anyway so why waste all that money?

uhh, cuz ya can't take it withya ?
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 10:44 am
au1929
au1929 wrote:
BBB
I hope business is good since I know that living on SS is tough. :wink:

Selling my body requires deficit spending.

BBB :wink:
0 Replies