Favorite travel destinations for Americans and Europeans

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2003 03:28 pm
For most Americans, the favorite destinations for Americans are England, Ireland, Holland, Germany, France and Italy. However, favorite cities in these countries are not always more evident. What is your favorite European destination, and why?
For Europeans, it seems from my observations that New York, Florida, and California are favorites. What other places are likely destinations for Europeans, and why?

As for me, London has always been my favorite European destination. The reasons are many, and include the world famous museums, the theatre district, the three C's, and its history. We can still see some Roman walls, and many places have withstood the bombings of WWII. London has many faces and ambiance. The old and new mixes very well, and the public transportation system is excellent - if not crowded during commute. Razz Cool c.i.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,735 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Dek

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 02:30 pm
Monaco is a favorite for me, great place to go driving (which is one of my favorite past times) + I've met some great people over there.

I also love Florence, a perfect holiday for me is to drive down to Monaco and then drive over to Florence, Culture and driving, how can you beat that?
0 Replies

margo

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 03:00 pm
I guess this question's not for me - but I'll put my tuppence in,m because....

Apart from Australia, I love to travel to Europe. In fact, I've probably seen much more of Europe than Australia in the past couple of years!

I have some good friends in Europe - off to check some of them out in Sweden in June. Europe has what Australia doesn't (or not much) - old buildings, history, languages, culture, food, etc. It's different. Weather seems almost always to be crap, though! Crying or Very sad

Australia has brilliant weather, scenery, beaches, reef, etc., great food, open spaces, small population, and I speak the language.

I've never had the urge to go to the US - I don't see it as too different from Australia, it's about the same size, but a squillion more people, and doesn't offer any of what I find fascinating in Europe. And I don't speak the language! Confused
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 04:07 pm
margo, Interesting about your opinions about visiting the US. I had that very sentiment about Australia. Never thought I'd enjoy the land of Oz, but when I visited, I was overwhelmed by the experience! What was more amazing is the fact that I'm usually ready to be home-bound after 15 days in a foreign country, but I didn't feel that way when I spent 22 days in Australia, New Zealand, and Fiji. It was really the first time that happened to me. My enjoyment was thorough, and was ready for more. I'm sure you'll feel the same about the US. We have many different parts of the US that is so diverse, I just don't see how anyone can see the US as a monotonous place to visit. We have many mountain ranges, lakes, national parks, redwood trees, the Grand Canyon, New York, San Francisco, New Orleans, San Antonio, Boston, Washington DC, Boston, Las Vegas, and Miami - all different. My wife and I are going to jump into the car and start to travel across the US after she retires in a couple of years. We're going to go see it all. c.i.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2003 04:10 pm
Dek, On our visit to Monaco many years ago, we visited a perfume factory where I purchased a bottle of after shave lotion. It's my favorite, and I still have over half a bottle of it. I use it only for special occasions. Wink c.i.
0 Replies