FIFA World Cup qualifiers.

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 05:01 pm
damn, we're good!

[althoug, 0:0, isn't that kinda boring? why watch? why basketball has so many points to hand out and soccer just a handful? naaah, life's not fair...]
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 07:23 pm
It might not be boring. Matter of fact, most International matches are absolutely not boring ... assuming you appreciate the subtleties of the game.

I personally would prefer to watch an epic battle between two good soccer teams, than a high scoring basketball game.

http://www.animationlibrary.com/Animation11/Sports/Soccer/soccer_ball_2.gif

(Martino just scored a beautiful goal to put USA up on Panama 1-0.

.... and while I was typing this, Twellman just scored. Go USA.)
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2005 10:40 am
dagmaraka wrote:

[althoug, 0:0, isn't that kinda boring? why watch? why basketball has so many points to hand out and soccer just a handful? naaah, life's not fair...]

A basket is like a kiss on the cheek. A goal is like an orgasm.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2005 10:47 am
Ticomaya wrote:
.. assuming you appreciate the subtleties of the game.

I personally would prefer to watch an epic battle between two good soccer teams

I know association football is a foreign game in USA, but I never knew you had subtitles. Smile

[there is hope for you yet tico if you like soccer...now if you can just get your head around cricket...]
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2005 02:52 pm
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
.. assuming you appreciate the subtleties of the game.

I personally would prefer to watch an epic battle between two good soccer teams

I know association football is a foreign game in USA, but I never knew you had subtitles. Smile

[there is hope for you yet tico if you like soccer...now if you can just get your head around cricket...]

It may be foreign here, but I've played since I was young. I played college varsity soccer, and continue to play competitively today. When I visited Brunel College in Uxbridge in the early '90s, I was able to teach the locals a few things. Razz
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2005 03:02 pm
fbaezer wrote:
...A basket is like a kiss on the cheek. A goal is like an orgasm.

I am definitely stealing this line!
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2005 05:02 am
"When I visited Brunel College in Uxbridge in the early '90s, I was able to teach the locals a few things."

yes I'm sure you did but what about the football?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2005 05:11 am
As an aside: any idea, who will replace Germany?

There must be some dozen teams, who don't get a bonk on the nose like the Germans. (Okay, we've beaten China, 1:0, but ...... with a penalty. At home!!!)
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2005 05:12 am
<Should have written just 'BM' instead of showing once again my unloyalty and non-patriotism Embarrassed >
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2005 05:17 am
Replace Germany as what Walter?
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2005 05:27 am
when you say 'replace' in my neck of the woods, the transaction usually involves vodka. how many bottles of vodka will germany go for, you reckon? maybe i'd thrown in a bid.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2005 05:35 am
I dont know. But some of the English team in the past would have gone for a few bottles. But now we have that well known English disciplinarian Sven Gorjan Erikson...they all have to be tucked up in bed with their teddy bears by 9.00 pm the evening before important games.

I read yesterday that German authorities are expecting trouble from English fans...what a surprise. Also that British police will be invited to Germany to help.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2005 06:37 am
I don't know, why that's only mentioned yesterday - and the big headline in The Star today.

The 'beer ban' re English hooligans et. al. has been discussed since April. And "English bobbies" have been 'on duty' already at some Bundesliga matches.
0 Replies

Jamesw84

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 05:15 am
The English team this time round should go a lot further than they did last time round, since now they have a squad with good players in it. With an excellent triker like Rooney instead of that crappy Heskey should make goals easier to find for them, and their midfield will be much stronger with the likes of Gerrard, Terry and Lampard in place. Beckham can retire next yer to watch from the stands because frankly I dont see his skills being useful in a competition such as the world cup.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 04:39 pm
The full line-up for next year's World Cup finals is finally known as the Czech Republic take the final place thanks to their 2-0 aggregate victory over Norway.

World Cup play-offs:

Australia 1-0 Uruguay (1-1 on agg, Aus win 4-2 on penalties)

Bahrain 0-1 Trinidad & Tobago (Trinidad win 2-1 on aggregate)

Czech Republic 1-0 Norway (Agg: 2-0)

Slovakia 1-1 Spain (Agg: 2-6)

Turkey 4-2 Switzerland (Agg: 4-4, Switzerland win on away goals)
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 04:45 pm
so, are we slovaks out of the loop?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 04:57 pm
dagmaraka wrote:
so, are we slovaks out of the loop?

Yes, sorry.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 05:03 pm
ooooh. and i missed the whole thing. tragic.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 05:09 pm
Happy for the Aussies, sad for the Uruguayans.
Happy for Trinidad-Tobago, the 4th Concacaf qualifier (Guatemala would have won as a local, and panicked, losing miserably, while visiting Bahrein).
Don't mind Spain (they bring fun to the Cup), but sad for Dagmaraka (besides, Spain non-qualifying would have assured Mexico a berth as group top seed).
Happy for the Czech Republic: a victory for spectacular football against conservativism.
Thinking Switzerland qualifying was fair. The Turks play usually better, but often lose their heads.
0 Replies

Jamesw84

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 07:34 pm
Lejunburg makes up half the Swiss team Razz
0 Replies