Ecuador - Uruguay
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,578 • Replies: 57
No top replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2005 12:50 am
and the matches were full of surprises. Especially shocking ending was in Africa, from this continent four teams (out of 5) will participate for the first time, while continental superstars were eliminated:

New World Cup Qualifiers:

Africa

Angola (in front of Nigeria with late goal in Rwanda)
Ivory Coast (in front of Cameroon that missed penalty kick in 94th minute)
Togo (in front of Senegal)
Ghana (in front of South Africa)
Tunisia

In Europe teams that secured World Cup before last games on Wednesday are:

Group 1:

Netherlands (after 2-0 win in Prague)
Czech Republic still has minor chance to be one of two best second-placed teams.
If Czech Republic loses in Finland, then Romania goes to extra qualifications.

Group 2

Ukraine
Turkey, Denmark and Greece in fight for qualification spot.

Group 3

Portugal
Slovakia - Russia for qualification spot.

Group 4

Israel, Switzerland, France and Republic of Ireland all still have chance one match before the end

Group 5

Italy
Norway in qualifications.

Group 6

England and Poland both go directly no matter who will end first, because other team will be one of two best second-placed teams

Group 7

Serbia&Montenegro with win against Bosnia goes to World Cup, while Spain goes to qualifications. If they draw, Spain has to win again San Marino with 5:0 or more to be first)
However, if Bosnia wins, then Spain is almost certainly first (they will beat San Marino at home), Spain goes to qualifications.

Group 8

Croatia secured spot after 1-0 win over Sweden. They will go either as first or best second-placed team.
Sweden needs one point in Iceland to go directly as on of two best second-placed teams.

Overview:

World Cup Participants from Africa and Europe:

Africa: Angola, Togo, Ghana, Ivory Coast, Tunisia,

Europe: Netherlands, Ukraine, Portugal, Italy, England, Poland, Croatia, Germany (as host)
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2005 12:55 am
Asia:

Earlier, Iran, Saudi Arabia, South Korea and Japan qualified for WC

Bahrain and Uzbekistan play play-off game and winner will face fourth placed team from Concacaf. In first game: Uzbekistan-Bahrein 1:1.

Concacaf (North and Central America and Carribean)

Mexico, USA, Costa Rica qualified for World Cup.

Trinidad & Tobago and Guatemala will fight for fourth place in last round. If T&T wins home game against Mexico they are fourth, otherwise, Guatemala is if they win home game against Costa Rica.

Overview:

World Cup Participants from Asia and Concacaf:

Iran, Japan, South Korea, Saudi Arabia, Mexico, USA, Costa Rica
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2005 01:03 am
last but not least:

Oceania:

Australia is winner and will play play off against fifth-placed team in South America.

South America
:

Argentina, Brazil, Paraguay, Ecuador already qualified for World Cup.

Uruguay, Colombia and Chile will decide who will be fifth and therefore face Australia in play off.

Overview:

World Cup Participants from South America and Oceania:

Argentina, Brazil, Paraguay, Ecuador

Total Overview:

Teams that will participate in World Cup:

Angola, Togo, Ghana, Ivory Coast, Tunisia, Netherlands, Ukraine, Portugal, Italy, England, Poland, Croatia, Germany, Iran, Japan, South Korea, Saudi Arabia, Mexico, USA, Costa Rica, Argentina, Brazil, Paraguay, Ecuador

+ 1 team from Asia/Concacaf play off
1 team from South America/Oceania play off
6 teams from Europe that are still not decided
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2005 01:19 pm
Congrats, MOU.

Have you noticed that 2 of the groups in Korea-Japan 2002 have all their teams qualified for 2006?

Italy-Mexico-Croatia-Ecuador
South Korea-Portugal-USA-Poland

and that there's one group that may not get even one (but I think will get 2)?:
France-Uruguay-Denmark-Senegal

My take is that the remaining qualifying teams will be:
For Europe: Spain, Serbia/Montenegro, France, Sweden, Slovakia, Czech Republic
For the 2 playoff spots: Trinidad-Tobago (defeating Bahrein) and Uruguay (defeating Australia).
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2005 04:49 pm
I am pretty surprised by Ecuador, and certainly hope that Uruguay will be on WC as well (Uruguay is my favourite south-american team along with Peru and my all time favourite Venezuela - Venezuela actually isn't that awful anymore!).

As for other teams:

Well...first of all I am pretty sure that south-american team will defeat Australia (hopefully Uruguay), and I agree that Trinidad or Guatemala will defeat Bahrein (although, unless Mexico plays with "B" team or is keen to play easy with friends from Trinidad, I think Guatemala can be fourth).

Europe: Sweden definitely - they need just a draw against weak Iceland to secure spot.
France should be there, however, if Switzerland wins in Ireland, then France has to play playoff games.

As for playoffs, my guess is that teams participating will be:
Czech Republic, Spain, Ireland, Slovakia, Norway (only 100% sure team) and Turkey.

If that happens then Czech Republic, Spain and Turkey are seeds and definitely big favourites except team that will play Ireland.

So, let's say my guess for remaining six spots is:

Sweden, France, Spain, Serbia/Montenegro, Czech Republic and Turkey/Ireland. So we disagree only about Slovakia Wink
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 12:01 pm
You may be right about Slovakia and UEFA.

As for Concacaf, I believe Mexico will go to Trinidad-Tobago and defeat Beenhaker's team, even with B players (5-2 against Guatemala playing with 8 reserves). But I also believe Guatemala will not beat Costa Rica.
If that should happen (Guatemala going to the playoffs), I'm afraid Bahrein or Turkmenistan will qualify, since Guatemalan players lose all confidence when playing abroad.
0 Replies

Ellinas

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 12:41 pm
Bahrain have a good side this year, I believe they will make it to the WC.
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 11:22 pm
fbaezer wrote:
You may be right about Slovakia and UEFA.

As for Concacaf, I believe Mexico will go to Trinidad-Tobago and defeat Beenhaker's team, even with B players (5-2 against Guatemala playing with 8 reserves). But I also believe Guatemala will not beat Costa Rica.
If that should happen (Guatemala going to the playoffs), I'm afraid Bahrein or Turkmenistan will qualify, since Guatemalan players lose all confidence when playing abroad.

possibly, and you definitely know more about situation in CONCACAF. I just thought that it's easier to beat Costarica at home then to beat Mexico.
And I always support Guatemala since they lost 22-1 from Brasil in World Futsal Championship Very Happy
However, you are definitely wrong that Turkmenistan has chance Razz Wink Uzbekistan maybe, but Turkmenistan...nah Wink

Ellinas might be right about Bahrein though.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 08:01 am
Damn, I STILL confuse them Eastern Ex-Soviet Republics.
Gee, MOU, I feel almost as stupid as the Mexican TV sports commentator who added up all the medals won by "former Soviet Republics" a few Winter Olympics ago, and included Slovenia. Smile

As for Guatemala, it would be great for that stricken country to qualify, but I'm certain you haven't seen them play Wink. Their game is far worse than Panama's (and Panama, they say, plays with a cubic ball).
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 08:41 am
How far did Uzbekistan get? (I have a friend from there.)
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 08:57 am
fbaezer - it's not that bad, at least you got the area right Wink

wandeljw - Uzbekistan is currently playing playoff legs with Bahrein. Actually, it's turning out to be one of the most bizarre stories. In first game they won 2-0, but referee made several severe mistakes against them and against rules of the game as well. After their apeal, FIFA decided that game should be played again. And in repeated game, they played only 1-1 on home ground.
So, now it's second game in Bahrein.

Winner of this game will play fifth team from South American zone in next leg (Uruguay, Colombia or Chile). Winner of this leg goes to World Cup.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 10:51 am
MyOwnUsername wrote:

Winner of this game will play fifth team from South American zone in next leg (Uruguay, Colombia or Chile). Winner of this leg goes to World Cup.

Correction: the winner of Uzbekistan-Bahrein will play 4th place from Concacaf (North America, Central America and the Caribbean): either Trinidad-Tobago or Guatemala, and the winner goes to the World Cup.

The fifth team from South America will play Australia for a berth in the World Cup.
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 01:25 pm
yeah right, we are talking about that all the time, silly mistake Wink
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 01:41 pm
slovakia plays russia tomorrow. keep fingers crossed!
0 Replies

Ellinas

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 04:18 am
I avoid talking about my team Razz .
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 04:27 am
Is it in Bratislava Dag?

Russia MUST win to qualify. Will be tough game.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 06:12 am
Yes, Bratislava. Home ground. And our fans are now awake and riled up... Will be tough for sure, should be a good game (not that I can ever tell...). We just need to tie, and even if we loose, I believe we have two more chances to qualify... but i might be wrong. It's all based on hearsay, I don't really know what I'm talking about...
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 06:37 am
"It's all based on hearsay, I don't really know what I'm talking about..."

Smile

What refreshing honesty. Hope you get through anyway Dag.
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 04:47 pm
so...

Slovakia - Russia 0:0 good for Dagmaraka Wink

Slovakia, Turkey, Switzerland, Czech Republic, Spain and Norway are in playoff.

Serbia&Montenegro, Sweden and France go directly to World Cup after today games.
0 Replies