Bush Delivers Speech On War on Terror

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 10:15 am
Oct 6, 2005

Reported by Aleen Sirgany, CBS

In a major speech about the war in Iraq, President Bush outlined his goals and objectives with a message to the insurgents that they will not prevail.

Bush's message comes on a day where the violence exploded in Iraq.

Two suicide bombings and a roadside bomb, all in Baghdad, left at least a dozen people dead, including one American soldier.

Hours later, President Bush took center stage, once again linking Iraq to the war on terror.

"The terrorists regard Iraq as the central front in the war against humanity. And we must recognize Iraq as the central front in our war on terror," Bush says.

Despite an almost continuous string of violence, Bush says American troops are on the offensive against the insurgents.

"Against such an enemy, there's only one effective response: We never back down, never give in and never accept anything less than complete victory," says Bush.

Comparing Islamic militants to communists, President Bush said their fight is not only America's enemy but Islam's enemy has well.

The president also talked about missions targeting insurgents in western Iraq. Military commanders say one operation will be done before the constitutional referendum on October 15th.

One of the major themes throughout the president's speech was that pulling troops out of Iraq too soon, would only make insurgents and terrorists even bolder.

10tv

Well wadya think ?

Did President Bush's speech do enough to convince you that we should stay the
course in Iraq?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 471 • Replies: 3
No top replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 10:39 am
I think he's an idiot man-child who has put the USA in a horrible no-win situation. Stay the course, drop and run...either way, we're f*cked, thanks to this incompetent a-hole.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 12:46 pm
I agreed with some parts of the speech, disagreed with others.

I was amused at his jab at bin Laden as and "elitist" who sends others to do his dying. Sounded like a certain president I know.

One hopes that he (and/or his advisors) can explain a cogent strategy. He made a start with this speech, at long last.

I agreed with his description of the leaders as murderers; I think he needs to do more with this, both here and abroad. It's clear that the leaders are motivated by sadism and narcissism, rather than religious motives. Folks in this country do a disservice to the fight against terrorism by focusing on the Islamic trappings.

He also did a good job of trying to separate the war against terror from a war against Islam; I hope some of the more rabid conservatives will heed this, but I doubt it based on what I heard on talk radio following the speech.

He pissed me off by hiding behind 9/11 again.

He pissed me off by holding up Iraq as some beacon of civil rights and democrace, when it's clear that their proposed constitution will remove the rights of women.

So it goes.
0 Replies

RichNDanaPoint

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 05:57 pm
I never listen to the idiot, can't stand to even look at the scumbag Smile
0 Replies