Ignoble liars: Leo Strauss, George Bush, and mass deception

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 04:06 pm
Ignoble liars: Leo Strauss, George Bush, and the philosophy of mass deception
"There are different kinds of truths for different kinds of people. There are truths appropriate for children; truths that are appropriate for students; truths that are appropriate for educated adults; and truths that are appropriate for highly educated adults, and the notion that there should be one set of truths available to everyone is a modern democratic fallacy. It doesn't work." Irving Kristol - Founder of American Neoconservatism
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Leo Strauss and Our Current Political Condition

Tue Oct 4th, 2005 at 10:57:10 PDT

A friend lent me a copy of the film Embedded Live, Tim Robbins' anti-war play. If you haven't seen it, I couldn't recommend it more. It really captures the essence of the manipulation of the media during the initial invasion of Iraq. What really caught my interest though were the scene's in which characters representing Cheney, Rumsfeld, Perle, Wolfowitz, Powell, and Condi Rice conspired to set the stage for the war and manage public expectations for its outcome. Overshadowing their discussions was the influence of Leo Strauss; interspersed throughout the play were Straussian quotes. These quotes (at least for me) opened a door of understanding the actions of the Neocon cabal that was within or orbited the Pentagon's Office of Special Plans. I had to learn more about Strauss, his philosophy, and the influence his works have had on our current political state.

Earl Shorris wrote Ignoble liars: Leo Strauss, George Bush, and the philosophy of mass deception, published in Harper's Magazine, June 2004. This is a very concise history of Strauss and a synopsis of his philosophical foundation.

Strauss Was An Elitist; His Philosophies Appeal to Elitists
http://bellaciao.org/en/article.php3?id_article=8658
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,200 • Replies: 0
No top replies