Sofa constipation.

dancingnancy

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2005 04:53 pm
boomerang wrote:
I think I can handle the chairs seats. I did my old ones many times. I'll just have to find the staple gun!

The community college here offers classes too. I've always been tempted. A lot of times they're looking for furniture to work on -- you might want to contact them about doing your sofa!

I was at a trade show recently and a woman there was exhibiting her knitting store. Ohmanohmanoman, those yarns were unbelievable! Outrageous pretty.

I love being able to decide what fabric to use for things rather than having to settle for whatever the stores are selling. I'm not a great seamstress but I can handle basic home decore things.

My neighbors would be getting an eyeful if I had to rely on store-bought curtains. I do have some cool jute shades that I bought a Pier 1 -- they make a great backdrop to whatever you put in front of them.

Hi - popped in because I'm going furniture shopping this weekend or else recovering a sofa I already have. I'm no seamstress though. I don't know what to do.

Hey did you get the shades at Pier 1 recently or no? I haven't been there in a while but maybe it'd be a good stop for this weekend?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2005 05:00 pm
If your sofa has a nice shape and the cushioning is still in good shape I'd go with having it reupholstered. You can go to the fabric store and pick out exactly what you want, have the work done and it will still cost a lot less than new.

I bought my blinds years ago -- maybe six or so years ago. The ones they sell now (I think) fold up like a roman shade (mine roll up). I think I'd rather have the roman style!

Good luck with the furniture shopping!

I bought my table off Craigslist, by the way. What an easy way to shop!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2005 06:22 pm
Isn't it though? I'm currently contemplating getting a vintage sofa with very nice lines that was recently reupholstered for $300 -- can probably bring it down from that, but not sure if it's perfect enough to justify the expense. Probably not. It looks like it's a nice velvet, but the color is a sort of gold that's fine but a bit wishy-washy.
0 Replies

dancingnancy

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 10:17 am
Cool - maybve I will get it re-covered. Do you personally have to deliver the couch if you have it done by someone else or will they pick it up? I wish I had the skills to do it myself!
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 10:19 am
they usually pick it up and bring it back, too. if you get the textile in a wholesale store, it can be altogether pretty cheap and makes all the difference in the world.
0 Replies

dancingnancy

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 10:44 am
Cool - thanks for the help!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 12:06 pm
I have a corgi hair sofa that I am considering tossing when I move. On the other hand, I love the lines and it is comfy if hair covered. I also have a lot of material I bought to make thick drapes and never did that...

so, what I'm wondering, is can a reupholstered sofa be treated with scotchgard or somesuch product?

Of course I would have to train a certain dog away from the newly freshened sofa...

I exaggerate - it's just the arms that are sort of hairy, as I keep comforters on top of the sofa, but I bought it used and it was fadey back then.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 12:17 pm
I think just about anything can be scotchguarded, osso.

As to the dog hair thing....

My dog takes steroids so she sheds like you wouldn't believe. Her hair was really getting woven into the upholstry of my car. I bought one of those rubber brooms at a trade show and that thing took all the hair right out of the upholestry!
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 01:02 pm
was that the broom that the cat fell in love with?

(or was that somebody else relating a love story between a cat and a broom?)
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 01:06 pm
Yes! Biscuit fell in love with that broom.

But the love affair is mostly over. Now she just cheats with the broom.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 01:08 pm
ah! the humiliation! to be cheated on with a broom! i hope it was at least and expensive broom. somehow that would make it a little better.
0 Replies

dancingnancy

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 01:26 pm
Can't you buy like a can of scotchguard and do it after the fact? (like on a reupholstered couch or a new couch without scotchguard?)
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 01:31 pm
Is $10 an expensive broom?

The cat was free so by comparison.....

Yes you can buy cans of scotchguard. I think it probably works as well as the "factory" installed stain preventer.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 02:13 pm
expensive enuf. at least it wasn't a $7 broom...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 03:25 pm
I don't know (why I asked) but I'm guessing so.

I have a rubber hand broom thing. It gets some of the corgi hair...

I need to comb him every day and don't. Even when I do though, there's always more where that came from, my little factory.
0 Replies