Sofa constipation.

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 05:17 pm
True confession: I have lived without a stick of living room or dining room furniture for the last 8 months.

I had furniture, real grown up type furniture but when I opened the new photo studio I needed furniture there so all of my furniture is gone.

OH BOY! I thought when I got rid of it -- now I can go buy new furniture.

What I didn't take into account is that I hate to shop so I have just done without for 8 months.

After vacationing in a normal home that had furniture I've decided to get off of my duff and shop. Okay, I didn't really get off my duff - I "researched" sofas online to get an idea of prices, then I got off my duff and went looking.

Soooooo we finally found a sofa that Mr. B and I agree on - a cool, plain but funky leather thing with groovy, curvy ottoman, footstooly type things.

But it's like $2,000 which seems like a lot of money for a sofa when you have an old smelly dog and a young smelly boy living in the place. But $2,000 is a pretty good price for such a funky groovy ordinary sofa.

But anyway, I'm back to being totally constipated on making a sofa decision and I really don't want to end the year still sitting on the floor.

How do you choose a sofa that will survive many years of your life?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,295 • Replies: 54
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 05:34 pm
I think I remember reading that leather is actually supposed to be one of the most durable materials, recommended for kid/ dog situations.

We have made exactly one sofa purchase, ever. We had this horrible naugahyde thing that I couldn't stand, and then we finally researched up a storm and got the couch we have in 1998 or so. I don't remember all the research. Hardwood construction comes to mind. Ended up narrowing down one PLACE in L.A. that had really good furniture, and got this one on sale there. $800, which was a ton for us at the time, but it's held up really well. The upholstery is 100% cotton moleskin (sort of a cross between twill and velvet -- very soft, but not fuzzy), and all of the cushions have removable covers. We've gone this long without washing it (and with a 5-yr-old!), finally going to get throw cushion covers dry-cleaned and see what happens.

Structurally it's A-OK, I don't remember much about that part (we researched it), just hardwood...
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 05:49 pm
Mr. B insists on leather for durability.

Personally, I like the squish factor of a nice upholstery but...... whatever.

Leather doesn't make for good napping, in my opinion but...... whatever.

Our old sofas were leather and they did indeed wear very well. This sofa is much nicer and better made so I'm guessing it would last for a bit -- or until Mo got his hands on an X-acto.

I just don't want to add some stress-factor sofa into my life.

But I'm tired of sitting on the floor.

And my mom is coming to visit this winter and I don't want her to be all uncomfortable.

So I need to buy furniture.

Crap.

All of my appliances went kaput within the last two years and I never had a problem picking something new.

This sofa constipation is downright ridiculous!

Okay.....

Hardwood construction.

Leather is a good choice.

What else?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 06:01 pm
Random thoughts:

One thing E.G. and I fought about (this was our first major joint purchase, there was fighting) is that I liked poofity, the kind of thing you can sink into, he wanted something more firm and constructed. We compromised, I think I was a little happier with the final decision than he was. The couch is made up of arms, a short thin back, and then 8 pillows -- 4 back pillows, 2 big seat pillows, and 2 throw pillows. They have been used as raw materials for a zillion sozlet-built forts, which I think is cool and drives E.G. crazy. He'd prefer something that is just all one piece. (Are those called davenports?)

Anyway, the throw pillows seemed to be a good compromise between comfy/ cushy and constructed, as they can have creative uses. They don't have to come with the sofa, and if you're medium-enthused about leather, might even be better if you get them extra, but then you can choose what fabrics you like and not have to worry about them so much.

Our throw pillows came with the sofa, but I covered them with a couple from Crate and Barrel outlet (man I miss that place -- $5 each!!!), with cotton velvet on one side and a pattern of Indian sari border-type fabrics on the other. Sari side looks pretty, velvet side is comfy, whole thing is washable. Makes a good place to put your head for naps.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 06:26 pm
Buying things with a man in tow.....

<humph>

Mr. B: I don't care I don't care I don't care.

<make purchase>

Mr. B: Are you crazy?

I found this groovy sofa in this nut-job, fire trap store in Portland that sells the craziest things. I don't know how to describe this place. You get a great price because you braved the damn place. They have good stuff though.

I can make pillows! I'm a total textile junkie with a grab bag of stuff on hand. I'll buy a yard of beautiful fabric just because it's beautiful.

I'm starting to think that $2,000 is pretty reasonable when you consider that I don't have to buy a coffee table because of the footstooly things......
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 06:32 pm
Can't you compromise boomerang?

Have a nice leather chair with ottoman and
a textile sofa that is comfortable and still durable.
Today's fabric sofas have great stain protectors and
are far more durable.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 06:45 pm
I've given the great stain protection speech but it hasn't done any good. It isn't like I'm opposed to leather furniture, I like it okay but to me it just isn't as comfortable.

Compromise really comes into play in design issues more than anything else.

I don't like those leather sofas that have all the poofy stuff - clean lines are really my interest -- good "bones" I guess you'd call it.

The sofa we both like has good bones and it is comfortable(ish) but Mr. B thinks furniture should cost..... less.

I just really don't know how to "kid-proof" a house.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 07:13 pm
Well then I have to tell you that leather is not necessarily "kid-proof" boomerang.

I had an old english leather chair with ottoman in the livingroom
and it was stained an scratched in no time by little Jane.
I now have the chair in my bedroom to protect it from further
abuse and my sofas (sectional) are fabric (celery green in
a velvety curduroy-like texture) and very stain resistant
and featherbed-like comfortable Stains come right off with
warm water.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 08:44 pm
As for naps... would it be better than the floor?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 10:55 am
Leather might be more comfortable in the northwest as opposed to the hot and sticky eastern seaboard.

You can toddler-proof a house most of the time. Perfect kid-proofing of a house is almost impossible unless the kid is either immobilized or without imagination.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 11:12 am
As for naps -- I do have beds in the house!

I know that nothing is ever kid proof. I'm not even sure how to adult proof the house!

I don't want to get into a thing like CJane mentions where I have to be so careful with things - easy cleanup is important and I know that most upholstery fabrics are stain guarded these days.

My last fabric sofa was the victim of ink pen deconstruction and that was impossible to get out and I think that's why Mr. B is so set against fabric. The leather sofas withstood mud and clay and paint and gunk with just an occasional wipe down.

Still, some leather looks better when its a bit beat up and some of it looks like crap. I will have to review the sofa with that in mind as immobilized and without imagination are more unbearable ideas than a furnitureless existence.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 11:29 am
How about a microfiber? Feels like suede, but totally spill anything on it and it cleans up without soaking in. Just wipe it off.

For leather, I think it's made in your neck of the woods, very high quality, kiln dried frame, 8 way tie, springs in cushions with lifetime warranty, down fill, etc. Check out www.viewpointleather.com

They don't list dealers / retailers, but you could call local furniture stores and ask if they carry it. Supposed to be heirloom, pass it on for generations type quality and is in the price range you mention.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 11:33 am
I just bought a leather sofa. It is a lovely sit-down sofa for company and I love that it is so easy to clean not only for spills but also for smells. My fabric sofa tends to keep smells in even when I wash it, but I love my fabric sofa for comfiness. I can drape myself on it and get really comfortable. The leather sofa is a bit hard and rigid for that but when I break it in it will get better. The only thing I miss on the leather sofa is arms. I got an armless one and I can't lean to one side and rest on an arm - it feels weird.

If you get a leather sofa you can always cover it with a duvet for snuggliness (tell Mr. B. it's to keep it clean!) and lots of pillows/cushions. They are easily washable in the washing machine and you can change the colors as often as you like depending on how many duvets you have in the house. My leather sofa pulls out into a full-size bed also and, after having company for a week, I slept on it and was so comfortable and it was so good for my back that I haven't moved back into my bedroom yet.

Whatever piece of furniture you buy, happy sitting, lazing, cuddling, prancing, etc....
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 11:57 am
boomerang wrote:
Buying things with a man in tow.....

<humph>

Mr. B: I don't care I don't care I don't care.

<make purchase>

Mr. B: Are you crazy?

OK
This much I know about.....Here's how you get your husband involved in the purchase, while getting what you know to be the most attractive choice, with his agreement to that.

This is a technique used by salesmen also...

Sorry, but you must do some footwork first - ALONE.

I had finally found the PERFECT living room set, I knew I would be happy with it for the next 20 years, at least.
The price made me gasp Shocked Shocked but we both wanted the new furniture to be the best, and knew it would cost money. Still... Shocked Shocked

Continued to look, found another set that was just fine, but wasn't my hearts desire after seeing the above. Didn't cost quite as much, still not cheap though.

Then, I saw a living room set that would appeal to some people, but not all. It was reasonable priced, which was its main selling point.

OK - scene set. Act 1

Promise to take the man out to dinner at the place of his choice, just for coming with you to see 3 different sets you just can make up your mind on. I mean, it's JUST 3.

Act 2

Take him to see the middle of the road one - He'll say "Yeah, this is fine"
He will deep down pick up on the "she's got pretty good taste" vibe.

Tell him there's just the 2 more, won't take long.

Lead him to the set that is really what you want, and know will look best in your home.
He will notice this one IS much nicer, and more expensive. Make sure he sits in it and sees how comfy it is.

Act 3 - Show him the 3rd choice
The immediate comparison of the worst to the best will be obvious.
My husband literally said upon looking at this one, and the price tag. "This looks like sh*t and it's cheap."

I was amazed at the next part - HE was the one that said. "We should get that last set - It's the best one."

My husband is not a cheapskate, he likes nice things. But everyone wants a bargain. By showing him just the first two, he probably would have considered the price more. But by seeing the worst, a person realizes how much more you can get for not that much more $.

Feminine wiles? Maybe
Salesmanship? Yes
Smart? Definetly
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 12:06 pm
Be sure to sit in it for a bit before purchase.

I have, now in the basement, a leather settee (can't quite find a word for what it is, a modern looking dark green leather thing set into a metal frame that is unseen when cushions are in position...) that turned out to work in our house as a nice place to stack books and papers. That was because when you sit in it, you gradually slide forward. No, the seat wasn't tilted, but the whole thing was somehow too smooth.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 12:39 pm
Hey squinney, that viewpoint leather sounds like good stuff -- I wish that I could peek at the gallery!

I love that microfiber stuff - so soft -- kind of like the mole skin soz mentioned.

The hardness of leather and the break in time is a big factor for me too, Heeven. We sat on many and this one was by far the most comfortable. I think I'll have to sit on it again for a bit since I'd hate to slip off it ala osso!

But yeah.... throws, pillows, etc could add a lot to the squish factor.

Oh my gosh Chai, I admire your stamina. The reason I've gone 8 months without furniture is because I find shopping so unbearable.

The only thing I have my heart set on is making this as hassle free as possible.

Mr B is usually more willing to spend money on stuff than I am -- once he gets educated about what things cost -- and I think that's where our problem lies.

My shopping philosophy is if I find something I like I buy it. If its on sale, I'll buy two. The money spent is always offset by the time, effort and headache involved with shopping. I am just not a big consumer.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 01:31 pm
Oh yeah, forgot to mention another plus of leather. If you sit on it wearing shorts or your naked skin is in contact for some time (especially if it's warm in the room) you will find it amusing peeling yourself off. I am thinking if I do this enough, I will eventually be able to forgo waxing my legs ... eventually.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 01:39 pm
oooh, I hate shopping too, for clothes, electronics and stuff.

but I enjoyed the furniture part of it and paint and so forth.

How about going on line or looking at design magazines?

that's were I got most of my info from.

I HAVE to go ALONE.
Also, I have to make sure I'm well fed, well hydrated, not having PMS, etc.

You're right, once you get over the sticker shock and resolve yourself to spending more than you thought. It goes easier.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 02:31 pm
heeven, that IS the best part about a leather sofa. another amusing activity, if the said sofa is firm enough, is to grab a household furry pet - might be a golder cockerspaniel, dunno, and slide him from one end to the other. endless fun.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 02:50 pm
Leather and cats don't mix, FYI.
0 Replies