trex2

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 10:06 am
I have a new biracial grandbaby and am very ignorant about almost everything about biracial kids. I don't mean to offend anyone, but I have a million questions. When can you tell what a babys hair will look like?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 827 • Replies: 10
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 10:09 am
Hi trex2, welcome to A2K.

I'm not sure if there is any one answer to your question. It's kind of like, "My son has brown eyes and my daughter-in-law has blue eyes, what color eyes will my grandson have?" Lots of possible answers.

It sounds like the baby is already born, so you probably know something about his hair already... (amount, color, etc.)
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 10:14 am
Some babies are almost bald at birth and some have a headfull of hair. Of those with hair, some are born with baby fine hair that thickens over time, and others have coarse thick hair from the outset.

Are you asking about the texture and curliness? I think that would be pretty appearant as soon as the hair starts to grow in some.
0 Replies

trex2

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 10:15 am
The baby is born and she's the apple of my eye! Will her hair change from what it is now?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 10:26 am
Our first child had some darkish hair when she was born, then it all fell out and came in blonde.

Our second child (7 weeks, now) still has curly auburn hair.

It will probably be a couple of months until you can be sure.

Same with the eye color; eye color can change for quite a while.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 10:27 am
I'm not an expert, but I'd think that what you see is what you get. The color may change, but the texture probably won't.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 11:15 am
I am bi racial, so is my daughter.
I am black and cherokee..
my daughter is that and Irish.

She was next to bald when born.
Now she has brown spiral hair that is just as fuzzy as mine. It is a crown of baby fuzzies Very Happy

When i was born, I had blonde straight hair for the first 6-8 months of mylife.
I now have thick ( cherokee thick) deep brown tight spiral curls. The weight of my hair makes the curls hang down instead of giving me an afro. haha

I would say, and probally be safe with this assumption, that the hair your child has for the first 6 months isnt the permanent color, thickness, style, or even the natural hair line.
There are exceptions to this blanket statement..
but I would be willing to bet not many. ;-)
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 11:45 am
Shewolf knows much more than I do in this department.
0 Replies

trex2

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 05:30 pm
Thanks so much for your input on this. Its not really important to me, I am just curious and in love with this angel. She is healthy and perfect in everyway. Its good to be able to talk about biracial things without hurting anyones feelings.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 08:12 pm
Trex,

I dont think there is a person alive in America that ISNT bi racial.
And I dont mean african american and white.
I mean
Any combination of any nation on any place of this earth.
We can, as individuals, go back 3 generations in our family and find at LEAST 2 diffrent races 99 %of the time.
If you go back even farther then that.. then there isnt a single " white person" around. Everyone is mixed. ;-)
0 Replies

trex2

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 04:38 pm
shewolfnm, you are right of course about everyone being bi racial. I am of the opinion now that I'm older that it is really important to know ones heritage. Parents should share that with their children as they grow so that they can know where they come from and to share the wisdom of their elders. So much knowledge is being lost with the passing of the old. I have already learned alot about different cultures by my grandchildren. I now have two "bi-racial" grandchildren, Mexican and African American.
0 Replies