I'm Not Really Sure but Maybe You Are

Debra Law

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 12:07 pm
What MommaAngel fails to understand is that she has NO RIGHT to impose her religious views on EVERYONE ELSE through the power of the government--e.g., through OUR official (mandated by law) pledge to OUR flag and to OUR country.

When she claims she doesn't understand the BIG DEAL about two words (under God) in OUR national pledge and when people try to explain the BIG DEAL to her, she gets offended, accuses people of being rude to her, and then opens another thread claiming people are attacking her faith and attacking her as a Christian.

If MA cannot tolerate having her point of view challenged and debated, perhaps she should hone her debating skills or stay out of the fray.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 12:38 pm
Debra_Law wrote:
What MommaAngel fails to understand is that she has NO RIGHT to impose her religious views on EVERYONE ELSE through the power of the government--e.g., through OUR official (mandated by law) pledge to OUR flag and to OUR country.

When she claims she doesn't understand the BIG DEAL about two words (under God) in OUR national pledge and when people try to explain the BIG DEAL to her, she gets offended, accuses people of being rude to her, and then opens another thread claiming people are attacking her faith and attacking her as a Christian.

If MA cannot tolerate having her point of view challenged and debated, perhaps she should hone her debating skills or stay out of the fray.

And just who are you Nancy Grace or something? My political conscience? It is not for you to decide what my rights are just as it is not for me to decide what your rights are.

Obviously, when under God was put into the pledge of allegiance and In God We Trust was put on our currency, someone thought we had the right to do it and obviously more than one person felt we had the right to do it.

Now, we both have the right to lobby under the law to have things changed to what we see as our rights.

I accepted a compromise. What is your problem with that? Is it because you have to be right and prove I am wrong?

Look, I have a right to my views. You have a right to your views. However, if you disagree with me or I disagree with you that gives neither of us the right to jab, accuse, or tell someone they don't understand. Just because I understand something differently than you do, does not mean I don't understand.

And, if you would read it that thread I started you will find that I rephrased it. I can perfectly well tolerate my views being challenged and debated. What I don't have to tolerate, as no one has to tolerate, is abusive and offensive behavior.

You have no more right to tell me what my rights are than I have the right to tell you what your rights are. We obviously view them differently.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 12:39 pm
ossobuco wrote:
momma angel, you seem to be a nice woman, but you also seem to want to live in a pillow.

I don't want to tune in to various threads as I see people getting bounces back, a kind of robot pillowness. For me it isn't very interesting. For others, perhaps a comfort. But - repetitive blanketings of be me and be nice, however well intentioned, aren't doing more than murmurings of niceness.

I don't want to undermine your niceness, but it isn't convincing to me - not that you aren't nice, you are, but how that can change decisions that effect lives in various local situations. Look to graft and corruption, look to shoring up your local economy, look to getting people working. Don't talk to me about sweetness re religion.

Wow Osso - Thanks, you hit the nail square on the head

You know, one of the reasons I joined A2K was because I saw so many interesting forums, and one of the most interesting I thought would be R&S.

Boy, was I wrong. I really try to avoid this forum, but sometimes I see a thread I just can't resist viewing, and in this case responding too.
While I'm typing however, I'm shaking my head, because from my past experience I can pretty well predict the response, if any, will be some watered down, pillowy "make nice" talk, that makes innocent proclaimations that have has much real substance as marshmellow fluff.

Osso right, I really can't tell what kind of person you are, there is just this pervasive niceness, which gets really boring, really fast, since nothings really being said.

Anyway -
your original question. I can just speak for myself.
I don't put down or critique any relegion as a whole.

Whenever I express disgruntlement, it's with specific people in mind.

and sometimes, yes, it's you MA.
When I start reading your posts, I very shortly just start scanning, not really reading, since it all goes in the same directions anyhow.

It generally falls into a few catagories: The....

you have every right to .......it's always followed with a spoken, or unspoken "but"

I'm not judgemental......well, why are you upset with others language?
why do you express that it's people's responsibilities to be polite?
Oh wait, I see, you're just "expressing your opinion" another catagory.

Oh - and the really annoying one....When you express dismay of how others choose to act, and another one of the posters who can't seem to just blurt out what's on their minds, talks around and around and around, joins you in your astonishment.
Then remarks about maturity level or lack of morals are thrown out there, and you both have a little private chuckle over it.

"Oh those poor people who are going to hell. aren't they funny."?

"yes, yes, indeed they are. isn't it just so NICE being saved"?

I've tried, but I really don't know who you are, or what you're like, except you sound condescending most of the time.

OK, this is where now YOU bring out another one of your themes, the...

"well, I'm sorry if that's how you see me, but......"

you're not sorry at all.

You know, I have asked some questions in the past on this forum, that I just KNOW could have been answered in a straight forward manner with a few facts, and some background.

That's just not about Christians, but Islam as well.

Instead what I get is pages and pages of run around, misreading the intent of the question, entrapping someone because of how something was phrased, even though it's obvious what the meaning intended was.

It's just all too devious for my taste.

You know what, I lived in a small Southern town for a while.
I know what you are talking about re having manner, respecting your elders, etc.

The scariest women in that town where the weekly church goers who had such fine manners, but assassinated other peoples characters every chance they got.

Those soft words sometimes hides a heart more evil than I would like to imagine.

I'd rather have someone use profanity in front of me or children, if they have a true heart, than listen to all the platitudes in the world, knowing I have to watch my back.

What I really wonder is this MA...

why do you bother coming on this forum?
It's not as if anything will ever be said that will change your beliefs, and I don't think anyone's beliefs will be changed because of this forum.

It always adds up to the same people, saying the same thing.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 12:57 pm
Chai Tea wrote:
ossobuco wrote:
momma angel, you seem to be a nice woman, but you also seem to want to live in a pillow.

I don't want to tune in to various threads as I see people getting bounces back, a kind of robot pillowness. For me it isn't very interesting. For others, perhaps a comfort. But - repetitive blanketings of be me and be nice, however well intentioned, aren't doing more than murmurings of niceness.

I don't want to undermine your niceness, but it isn't convincing to me - not that you aren't nice, you are, but how that can change decisions that effect lives in various local situations. Look to graft and corruption, look to shoring up your local economy, look to getting people working. Don't talk to me about sweetness re religion.

Wow Osso - Thanks, you hit the nail square on the head

You know, one of the reasons I joined A2K was because I saw so many interesting forums, and one of the most interesting I thought would be R&S.

Boy, was I wrong. I really try to avoid this forum, but sometimes I see a thread I just can't resist viewing, and in this case responding too.
While I'm typing however, I'm shaking my head, because from my past experience I can pretty well predict the response, if any, will be some watered down, pillowy "make nice" talk, that makes innocent proclaimations that have has much real substance as marshmellow fluff.

Osso right, I really can't tell what kind of person you are, there is just this pervasive niceness, which gets really boring, really fast, since nothings really being said.

Anyway -
your original question. I can just speak for myself.
I don't put down or critique any relegion as a whole.

Whenever I express disgruntlement, it's with specific people in mind.

and sometimes, yes, it's you MA.
When I start reading your posts, I very shortly just start scanning, not really reading, since it all goes in the same directions anyhow.

It generally falls into a few catagories: The....

you have every right to .......it's always followed with a spoken, or unspoken "but"

I'm not judgemental......well, why are you upset with others language?
why do you express that it's people's responsibilities to be polite?
Oh wait, I see, you're just "expressing your opinion" another catagory.

Oh - and the really annoying one....When you express dismay of how others choose to act, and another one of the posters who can't seem to just blurt out what's on their minds, talks around and around and around, joins you in your astonishment.
Then remarks about maturity level or lack of morals are thrown out there, and you both have a little private chuckle over it.

"Oh those poor people who are going to hell. aren't they funny."?

"yes, yes, indeed they are. isn't it just so NICE being saved"?

I've tried, but I really don't know who you are, or what you're like, except you sound condescending most of the time.

OK, this is where now YOU bring out another one of your themes, the...

"well, I'm sorry if that's how you see me, but......"

you're not sorry at all.

You know, I have asked some questions in the past on this forum, that I just KNOW could have been answered in a straight forward manner with a few facts, and some background.

That's just not about Christians, but Islam as well.

Instead what I get is pages and pages of run around, misreading the intent of the question, entrapping someone because of how something was phrased, even though it's obvious what the meaning intended was.

It's just all too devious for my taste.

You know what, I lived in a small Southern town for a while.
I know what you are talking about re having manner, respecting your elders, etc.

The scariest women in that town where the weekly church goers who had such fine manners, but assassinated other peoples characters every chance they got.

Those soft words sometimes hides a heart more evil than I would like to imagine.

I'd rather have someone use profanity in front of me or children, if they have a true heart, than listen to all the platitudes in the world, knowing I have to watch my back.

What I really wonder is this MA...

why do you bother coming on this forum?
It's not as if anything will ever be said that will change your beliefs, and I don't think anyone's beliefs will be changed because of this forum.

It always adds up to the same people, saying the same thing.

Chai Tea,

I guess what I don't understand is this ~ I offer compromise to things ~ the compromises are rejected. So, I agree to disagree. And this is a problem?

You seem to have made judgement on me that I am not as I seem to be? Well, I don't know what to tell you here.

And if you think there is something wrong with being respectful and courteous, then I would suggest that is a problem for you.

You believe I am condescending and feel you have to watch your back? Oh, I can understand that. I mean I continually berate you and call your beliefs ridiculous and such. Yes, if someone were to treat me that way, I'd watch my back too. I have not treated you in this manner.

Why do I continue to visit this forum? I will tell you what keeps me visiting this particular forum. It seems that non-believers (discerning from these threads) have a stereotypical view of all Christians. Myself and others have tried to show you and others that not ALL Christians are what you perceive them to be. And I hope and pray that in our behavior of treating you and others with respect you may someday come to understand that.

And why are you putting words in my mouth? You have no idea whatsoever if I have thought one single of the things you say. And Osso, I am not smug in my belief that I am saved. Confident in it, yes, but smug no.

I, in no way, feel superior to you or anyone else because of what I believe in.

And if you call it being judgmental because I don't want to accept what is unacceptable behavior to me, well, call it that. It does not change the facts.

And what is this "those soft words hide a heart more evil than I would like to image?" Maybe those women did what you say, but I DO NOT do that. How fair is it that you judge me by the acts of others?

Judge me for my own acts. Judge me for what I say.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 01:39 pm
BAM!!!

Right on the mark!!!

Am I good or what?

I TOLD you I could predict how you would respond!

Not only that, but you took the extra steps of twisting my words so they were about you!

HA!

You don't even realize that what you say is reinforcing the stereotypes you say you're trying to dispell

This is useless....

I'm not gonna bother reading anymore of this, but perhaps you should think about this......

WHERE did I say I was speaking about YOU? except for that "pillow nice" stuff I found so dead on?
the watch your back, the respect stuff, that's pretty paranoid MA. Where am I judging YOU?

The putting words in your mouth....you can look on any off your threads and find yourself saying these things.

I didn't even BRING up some of the things you have associated with me, the compromise bit for instance.

OH OH OH, I forgot the best theme....."well, I'm praying for you"

See, that's what I mean, and you just can't see it. You twist others words to make them seem what you want.
You throw the "nice" bread crumbs out there, so if anyone does disagree, it makes them sound like a real sh*t because you're so nice all the time, how can they be so awful and to not be nice back to you?

You know what?

I feel SO sorry for you.

I mean, not being judgemental or anything.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 01:48 pm
My post was an expression of frustration, as you can probably tell. I prefer to read spirituality and religion and philosophic and political posts that are carried out with logical debate/discussion points and I don't really like rudeness, though I sometimes have been rude.

One of my reasons for interest in a2k, aside from finding an online community here - something I didn't know about when I first posted on a forum - is the presence of many (ok, some) who know how to discuss and disagree very competently; I personally am a learner at this.

As to niceness - part of what I was reacting to in my post, MA, is this quote from your topic post -

(MA)
"When I say attack, I am speaking of the words I have seen used on these threads such as Christian beliefs (or they themselves) are idiotic, ridiculous, moronic, we are brainwashed, delusional, etc."

A2k doesn't foster commentary that people are moronic, but as I understand the terms of service it has no problem with people saying one's ideas are ridiculous or moronic, etc. People who are best at the discussions are apt to be able to elaborate on why they think others' ideas fail to make sense, or more crudely put, moronic.

You also presuppose than many of us non-christians are without valid information about christianity, and that is a mistake.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 02:05 pm
MA simply cannot get off that "we all have to repect each others "beliefs" nonsense...even though it has been shown to be nonsense.

What MA really wants is for everyone to "respect" her "beliefs"...and the "beliefs" of people who come close to her "beliefs"...and it is perfectly okay to heap scorn on the "beliefs" of people whose "beliefs" differ radically from hers.

MA has never shown the slightest interest in showing respect for "beliefs" that conflict substantially with hers.

And I admire her for that. I do not see it as a negative...but a positive. She would be a fool to "respect" "beliefs" that conflict with hers as substantially as some "beliefs" in this forum do.

If, for example, a person "believes" that torturing and killing another human being is disgusting and wrong...it would be absurd for that person to "respect" a "belief" in another person considering torture and killing to be an enjoyable, ethical pastime.

If, for another example, a person "believes" the god of the Bible is a good, kind, compassionate, humanity loving entity that deserves to be adored and worshipped...

...it would be absurd for that person to "respect" another person's "belief" that the god of the Bible is a petty, comically tyrannical, psycopathic, murderous barbarian.

It CANNOT HAPPEN...it truly doesn't happen...and people like MA ought to stop asking for it to happen because it is an illogical and unethical way to act.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 02:13 pm
Chai Tea Wrote

Quote:
BAM!!!

Right on the mark!!!

Am I good or what?

I TOLD you I could predict how you would respond!

Ok, I can see that I will have to address each individual thing so you don't misunderstand me as I feel you have.

Chai Tea Wrote:

Quote:
Not only that, but you took the extra steps of twisting my words so they were about you!

Some of what you said was directed towards me and some of it wasn't. I understand that. I don't feel I twisted your words. I only asked you not to judge me by what others have done. What did those women you were talking about have to do with me and the way I interact with you?

Chai Tea Wrote:

Quote:
HA!

You don't even realize that what you say is reinforcing the stereotypes you say you're trying to dispell.

Because I believe in treating others with courtesy? This reinforces the stereotype? I am sorry, but I don't understand that.

Chai Tea Wrote:

Quote:
This is useless....

Perhaps it is. So, can we just agree to disagree?

Chai Tea Wrote:

Quote:
I'm not gonna bother reading anymore of this, but perhaps you should think about this......

WHERE did I say I was speaking about YOU? except for that "pillow nice" stuff I found so dead on?

the watch your back, the respect stuff, that's pretty paranoid MA. Where am I judging YOU?

The putting words in your mouth....you can look on any off your threads and find yourself saying these things.

I didn't even BRING up some of the things you have associated with me, the compromise bit for instance.

Chai Tea, I addressed your post in general. I should have addressed it specifically as to when you did and did not mean me. I apologize for that. So, I am just as guilty of ascribing certain things to you as others have done with me. I will correct this.

Chai Tea Wrote:

Quote:
OH OH OH, I forgot the best theme....."well, I'm praying for you"

See, that's what I mean, and you just can't see it. You twist others words to make them seem what you want.

You throw the "nice" bread crumbs out there, so if anyone does disagree, it makes them sound like a real sh*t because you're so nice all the time, how can they be so awful and to not be nice back to you?

You know what?

I feel SO sorry for you.

I mean, not being judgemental or anything.

I am not trying to twist anything. I don't throw out nice breadcrumbs Chai Tea. I am who I am. I am not trying to make anyone sound like anything. You cannot honestly tell me that you would let someone treat you in a manner you find offensive, can you?

It is not a matter of being nice to me. It is a matter of everyone treating everyone with respect.

Why do you feel sorry for me? Because I believe differently than you do? Because my views are different than your views? So what if they are?

And yes, I am sure you will read the same things throughout all of my posts. Perhaps that's because what I truly believe?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 02:20 pm
Frank,

I don't know how many times I have to explain this to you.

Just because I do not believe what you believe it does not give me the right to return your sharing of your take on things with scorn or words I find offensive.

Why can you not understand that? Respecting someone's take on things doesn't mean you have to accept it. To me, it means it is important to you, I need to respect the fact it is important to you and not ridicule you or your take on things.

And speaking of posting the same stuff over and over, do you retype that all the time or do you cut and paste?

I would imagine you keep posting the same things because that is what your take on things is. I repeat my take on things because that is what I believe. What's the difference?

It is unethical to treat a person with respect? You don't have to respect what I believe, Frank, just my right to believe it. There is a difference. I can just look at it as you have your take on things and I have my take on things. I feel no need to ridicule your take. Why do you feel a need to ridicule mine and those that have the same take?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 03:29 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
Frank,

I don't know how many times I have to explain this to you.

Just because I do not believe what you believe it does not give me the right to return your sharing of your take on things with scorn or words I find offensive.

Why can you not understand that? Respecting someone's take on things doesn't mean you have to accept it. To me, it means it is important to you, I need to respect the fact it is important to you and not ridicule you or your take on things.

And speaking of posting the same stuff over and over, do you retype that all the time or do you cut and paste?

I would imagine you keep posting the same things because that is what your take on things is. I repeat my take on things because that is what I believe. What's the difference?

It is unethical to treat a person with respect? You don't have to respect what I believe, Frank, just my right to believe it. There is a difference. I can just look at it as you have your take on things and I have my take on things. I feel no need to ridicule your take. Why do you feel a need to ridicule mine and those that have the same take?[/quote]

There you go.

You are, in effect, describing a set of (what you would call) "beliefs"...and in effect, your are ridiculing them.

That is my point. You think it is perfectly okay to hold opinions that differ from yours in contempt....even though you try to suggest that you are "respecting" them in some way.

Why are you asking me why I feel a need to riducule Christian "beliefs?"

Suppose "my take on things" is that those kinds of "beliefs" should be "ridiculed"...and in fact, that those kinds of things should be treated with scorn.

Why can you not respect my "take on things"....and stop suggesting that I should not be doing it. Why do you ask questions about why I feel a need to ridicule "beliefs" such as you and those like you consider okay?

I'm not playing a game here, MA...I am trying to show you how absurd it is to suggest that we all should respect the beliefs (or opinions) of others.

YOU DO NOT RESPECT THE "beliefs" of those whose "beliefs" are that other people's "beliefs" ought to be ridiculed.

Good for you!

I respect that.

I am having a huge amount of difficulty, however, respecting your insistance that we should all respect the beliefs of others when you are not respecting those kinds of beliefs.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 03:33 pm
The only thing I understand on this thread is
Quote:
I don't understand
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 03:38 pm
Frank,

I said respect my right to my beliefs. I don't have to respect nor disrespect what you believe. I don't have to do either and neither do you.

I am not showing you scorn, Frank. I do not understand the following statement.

"You are, in effect, describing a set of (what you would call) "beliefs"...and in effect, your are ridiculing them."

Can you explain that differently?

And I haven't got a clue about this statement:

"YOU DO NOT RESPECT THE "beliefs" of those whose "beliefs" are that other people's "beliefs" ought to be ridiculed."

I tried to tell you it's "respect the right to believe." The right, Frank, the right. Look, if you want to ridicule, then ridicule. That appears to me to be what you want to do.

I have tried to explain how I feel. You are posting things now that I just flat out don't understand.

I don't agree with your take on things. You don't agree with mine. I respect your RIGHT to have a different take. Can you just respect my right to have a different take? Agree to disagree. What's so hard to understand, Frank?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 03:50 pm
Let me try to handle this differently:

Okay...I will "respect" your "beliefs."

Now...I expect you to "respect" the "beliefs" of the people on this forum whose "beliefs" include that your "beliefs" should be ridiculed and scorned at appropriate moments.

I for one, do not have "beliefs"...but it certainly is my opinion that there are times and places where the "beliefs" of Christians such as yourself should be scorned and ridiculed with as much gusto as possible.

So I will never again encounter a question such as you just posed to me:
Quote:
I feel no need to ridicule your take. Why do you feel a need to ridicule mine and those that have the same take?

Are we in agreement on that?
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 03:51 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
You don't have to respect what I believe, Frank, just my right to believe it.

Does he also have to respect your religious rights when you impose your beliefs on others through the operation of our laws?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 03:55 pm
Scorn for various beliefs is often a reasonable response to hearing about them. Whose scorn, whose beliefs, therein lies the dilemma.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 03:59 pm
ossobuco wrote:
Scorn for various beliefs is often a reasonable response to hearing about them. Whose scorn, whose beliefs, therein lies the dilemma.

I will agree with that.

Sometimes...we can get a type of universality about some "beliefs" being worthy of scorn and ridicule. Most of the time, it is a coin toss.

My point earlier is that most people complaining about the problem...are having their ox gored...and don't like it.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 04:08 pm
This is what I feel, believe, or whatever words you would have.

I believe in everyone's right to believe what they believe (or what their take on things is). I believe that everyone's beliefs or take is theirs personally and therfore, important to them. I do not believe that anyone has to believe it is ridiculous or anything else, except that it is different and they have that right. I believe you can just believe they are different and leave it at that.

I don't believe in ridiculing people just because they are different or they believe in something different. In ridiculing their beliefs, you are in essence, ridiculing them for believing what they believe.

Debra_Law,

We differ on this. I believe one way and you obviously believe another.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 04:17 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
mesquite wrote:
I did not ask if I had the right to WANT it there. I asked if it was my right to HAVE it there. Please understand the difference. That is the reason that the only true compromise is to return the pledge to its original form which was NEUTRAL toward religion.

Mesquite,

Actually, I don't see the difference. It is my right to have Under God there as it is your right to have Under No God there. However, stated either of these two ways, only one side is satisfied. That's where we differ, I believe.

So, if we had it the way as you suggested and I accepted, then we both are reasonably satisfied?

Before we get entirely lost in "to respect or not to respect" can I assume that what is in bold above means that you do agree that returning the Pledge to its original form ( or its original form plus "equality") is a fair and reasonable compromise that keeps the government neutral and does not favor one religious viewpoint over another?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 04:18 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
This is what I feel, believe, or whatever words you would have.

I believe in everyone's right to believe what they believe (or what their take on things is). I believe that everyone's beliefs or take is theirs personally and therfore, important to them. I do not believe that anyone has to believe it is ridiculous or anything else, except that it is different and they have that right. I believe you can just believe they are different and leave it at that.

I don't believe in ridiculing people just because they are different or they believe in something different. In ridiculing their beliefs, you are in essence, ridiculing them for believing what they believe.

Debra_Law,

Well...I not only do not agree that we should respect other people's "beliefs"...I often do not respect (in any sense of that word) their rights to hold those "beliefs."

There are people who "believe" it is okay to hijack airplanes and fly them into buildings.

I do not repect those beliefs...and I do not respect their rights to hold them.

Call me a crud for feeling that way...but...
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 04:19 pm
mesquite wrote:
Momma Angel wrote:
mesquite wrote:
I did not ask if I had the right to WANT it there. I asked if it was my right to HAVE it there. Please understand the difference. That is the reason that the only true compromise is to return the pledge to its original form which was NEUTRAL toward religion.

Mesquite,

Actually, I don't see the difference. It is my right to have Under God there as it is your right to have Under No God there. However, stated either of these two ways, only one side is satisfied. That's where we differ, I believe.

So, if we had it the way as you suggested and I accepted, then we both are reasonably satisfied?

Before we get entirely lost in "to respect or not to respect" can I assume that what is in bold above means that you do agree that returning the Pledge to its original form ( or its original form plus "equality") is a fair and reasonable compromise that keeps the government neutral and does not favor one religious viewpoint over another?

Mesquite,

Yes. I do believe that is a fair and reasonable compromise.
0 Replies