I'm Not Really Sure but Maybe You Are

ossobuco

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2005 09:32 pm
Not that I am so great at arguing myself, but I learn logical progression here, despite the flutter of digs that people make.

Spend a day reading threads.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2005 09:34 pm
Momma,

Bad behaviour is a matter of maturity. Some have it and some do not.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2005 09:36 pm
Yes, I am sure that is true. Thanx!
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2005 10:26 pm
MA, can we expect a response to your flip flopping on the pledge issue?

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1598073#1598073
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2005 10:32 pm
Mesquite,

I am sorry but I don't quite know what you mean? Can you elaborate a bit and I would be happy to respond.

Mesquite, I don't believe I flip flopped. I have always said I am willing to compromise. And yes, I could live with that because to me, we would still be one nation under God.

I don't flip flop. I compromise. If a solution can be found to satisfy both sides, I am all for it.

But, like I said, if you expect me to accept a compromise that is only good for one side, I can't and won't. Both sides must be satisfied.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2005 11:44 pm
I provided a link that should have made it quite clear, but we can do it here.

Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:58 pm FLIP Momma Angel wrote:
mesquite wrote:
Momma Angel wrote:
Well, seems like you didn't need me to elaboarate at all.

I was asking for you to ellaborate to get your opinion since you had written...

Quote:
I would have a problem changing it, yes. It was written the way it was written for a reason.

I then provided the history because the change had occurred before your time and you appeared to be under the impression that it had always been that way.

You are one who says that you are always looking for a compromise. It seems to me that the best compromise for the pledge problem is to return it to is original form "one nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all" or even to add "equality" since our nation has now progressed past the unequal treatment of women and non whites. That way the pledge will be neutral toward religion and atheists cannot be asking for it to say "under no god' and those of other religious faiths will also not be slighted.

Sounds good to me. I can certainly live with that. Wouldn't be nice if it were this easy for compromises to be reached on all issues?

Sat Oct 01, 2005 1:45 pm Flop Momma Angel wrote:
I said if something could be come up with that would satisfy boths sides I am all for that.

I am just not one side getting what they want and the other not.

Officially? What the heck does that have to do with it? It's there, it's been there for as long as I can remember. It's two words. Yes, they mean something different to me than they do you, but, just as you have the right not to practice religion, you have the right to not recognize those two words. Can you suggest something that would satisfy both sides?

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1573220#1573220
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2005 11:51 pm
I read all that but I don't see where I flip flopped. If you do not believe in God then ignore the words. I believe in God so I don't ignore the words,

I don't want the words taken out, true. But, I said if you can find a compromise and yours was acceptable to me than I could live with it.

But, another thing you need to consider here, the attitude you display with me is a much more civil one than others. I am more than willing to give as I get in a compromise.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 12:12 am
Hello?

I suggested a compromise...returning the pledge to its original form "one nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all" or even to add "equality" since our nation has now progressed past the unequal treatment of women and non whites. . It is in bold for you in the post above.

You said "Sounds good to me. I can certainly live with that. Wouldn't be nice if it were this easy for compromises to be reached on all issues?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 12:15 am
Mesquite,

Yes, from you I accepted the compromise. But, like I said, I am more apt to accept it from someone I am getting from as much as I am getting. Also, I believe that other person was not wanting freedom of religion, but freedom from religion. These are two entirely different things. I have felt you would still allow me my religious freedoms and they would not.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 09:40 am
MA, I thought we were discussing the Pledge of Allegiance, not personalities.

Does your opinion on issues vary according to who you are discussing with?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 09:44 am
Intrepid wrote:

Perhaps she meant that none have been excempt, which is different than being above.

That's what I meant.

:wink:
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 09:52 am
mesquite wrote:
MA, I thought we were discussing the Pledge of Allegiance, not personalities.

Does your opinion on issues vary according to who you are discussing with?
Mesquite,

I think you are misunderstanding me somewhat. It's not the personality that influences my decision. It was the fact that it was someone trying to remove a right of mine. Not someone trying to find a compromise. Just flat out removing one of my rights. There is a big difference to me. As long as one is willing to compromise, I feel both sides can come to a civil agreement. I am for the equality. Refusing to compromise because their agenda is to remove my right is a lot different than you wanting something reworded so you feel it is fairer for all. You offer equality. They didn't. I won't fight your wanting equality, but I will fight their wanting only what they want. I hope that made sense. I just got up. Didn't sleep well last night.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 10:18 am
MA, that makes no sense at all. The issue was the wording of the Pledge of Allegiance. You had already agreed to removing the "under God" phrase.

Can you not understand that having "Under God" in the pledge is no more your right than is mine to have "under NO God", or someone elses right to have "under Allah or "underBuddha" or "under the flying spagetti monster".

The US government is supposed to be neutral on religion, neither negative nor positive.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 10:32 am
Mesquite,

I am sorry it does not make sense to you. I believe it IS my right to have it in there just as it IS your right to have it taken out. We happen to disagree on that point.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 10:55 am
Do you believe it is my right to have "under NO god "in there? If not why not.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 11:02 am
Mesquite,

Yes, you have the right to want those words there and I have the right to not want them there. But, again, this is no compromise. That is one side getting what they want and the other not.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 11:17 am
I did not ask if I had the right to WANT it there. I asked if it was my right to HAVE it there. Please understand the difference. That is the reason that the only true compromise is to return the pledge to its original form which was NEUTRAL toward religion.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 11:27 am
mesquite wrote:
I did not ask if I had the right to WANT it there. I asked if it was my right to HAVE it there. Please understand the difference. That is the reason that the only true compromise is to return the pledge to its original form which was NEUTRAL toward religion.

Mesquite,

Actually, I don't see the difference. It is my right to have Under God there as it is your right to have Under No God there. However, stated either of these two ways, only one side is satisfied. That's where we differ, I believe.

So, if we had it the way as you suggested and I accepted, then we both are reasonably satisfied?
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 11:44 am
Momma Angel wrote:
mesquite wrote:

Mesquite,

Quote:
Actually, I don't see the difference. It is my right to have Under God there as it is your right to have Under No God there. However, stated either of these two ways, only one side is satisfied. That's where we differ, I believe.

Actually, it's not your right to have Under God there. The laws concerning the seperation of church and state are rather clear on that. So in that essence, the only TRUE compromise between having Under God in the pledge, and having Under NO God in it is to have neither, or as was earlier stated, to go back to the way it was originally penned.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2005 11:49 am
Questioner,

Well, let's just agree to disagree on whether it is my right to have Under God there or not, ok?

And as I stated earlier, I would be willing to live with the compromise Mesquite offered. But understand, I still would rather have Under God in there. I am just willing to compromise as long as BOTH sides are reasonably satisfied.
0 Replies