Does anyone watch that religious crap on Sunday mornings?

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2005 10:41 am
I was clicking through the channels this morning, looking for any new information on the hopeful crucifixion of Tom DeLay, and channel after channel after channel was some screaming lunatic trying to persuade you to see the light. Or maybe they spoke in softer tones, yet stared at the camera pleadingly, beseeching the viewer to come to the light -- to find Christ.

There were all kinds of these religious peddlers. Tall ones, short ones, fat ones, old ones, young ones, black ones, yellow ones (ok, no yellow ones, but I was just rolling along) brown ones, burned ones (one guy) and a few nuns were tossed in as well.

Some of them asked for money. Some of them seemed content to have your attention.

I have a simple question: Does anyone watch this ****? Who?

I know there's going to be a few smart asses in the crowd that say, "Well, you were watching it, Gus"

Not true, I wasn't really watching the crap, but merely driving by the carnival.

Are there any A2Kers who watch this stuff? Please step forward and identify yourself.

I'm not going to make fun of you or anything -- I just need to know -- I HAVE to know -- who watches this crap?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,567 • Replies: 48
No top replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2005 10:57 am
I don't! They are spreading you say. I hope not on the eastern side of the US.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2005 11:05 am
I had you pegged as one of the flock, Angelique. I'm not sure why, but when I stopped for a second on the burned guy's program I had an image of you, perched on the edge of your couch, glassy-eyed, fingers fervently working the rosary beads, as you muttered...."must send money....must send money"
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2005 11:07 am
i watch them
i make sure and send them all the pennies I can dig out of my couch as well
the save people from cancer by touching them !
May jebus kristo bless you Gus

if you send me 50 bucks, i will send you the original autographed bible
there was only 100 in production.
Ill share one with you..
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2005 11:12 am
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
I had you pegged as one of the flock, Angelique. I'm not sure why, but when I stopped for a second on the burned guy's program I had an image of you, perched on the edge of your couch, glassy-eyed, fingers fervently working the rosary beads, as you muttered...."must send money....must send money"

LOL No, I don't believe in god, and I don't belong to any religion. I have said that before. LOL You don't need god or religion to be a good person. :wink:
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2005 11:13 am
me gus, me me me! unfortunately we don't get those channels here. will you tape some burnt ones and green ones for me? pretty please?
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2005 11:19 am
LOL
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2005 11:23 am
Doesn't any one watch Benny Hill...sorry I meant Benny Hinn?
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2005 11:28 am
I used to like the guy who offered a prayer cloth for a fee, that you could drape over your TV in order to receive God's blessings/healing thru God's servant (him). I believe his slogan was "There will be pie in the sky by and by" and he also preached that God showed his love to the faithful by making them rich.

Folks, I couldn't make that stuff up, but it does make me laugh
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2005 11:32 am
TURN OFF YOUR TV WHILE YOU STILL CAN!!!

http://www.turnoffyourtv.com/1984-1.jpg
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2005 01:00 pm
Ok, you said you weren't going to make fun. I am going to believe you and say, yes. I do watch some of these TV evangelist shows.

However, I watch the ones I feel are in line with my personal beliefs.

My very favorite of all is Jessie Duplantis. He is a minister in New Orleans. He used to be a drug-addicted, alcoholic, harley riding hoodlum. Those are his words and not mine. He does not ask for money. He gives you his testimony and tells you that you are the one that must decide. And he will keep you in stiches! He is, by far, one of the best preachers I have ever had the pleasure of listening to.

I also like Kenneth Copeland. There are many I do not watch. It is always a matter of discernment. We are supposed to use our discernment when deciding which spiritual leaders to follow.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2005 01:00 pm
I never watch that stuff on TV on Sunday mornings (or any other morning).

I am in Church on Sunday morning listening to real preachers who do not ask for money.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2005 01:05 pm
Hi Intrepid!

How are you doing today?

I would also like to add that I don't watch them on Sunday mornings as I too am in Church!

I watch Jessie Duplantis on Wednesday night!
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2005 02:04 pm
Oh, how do I miss Tammy Fae Baker, and her husband's tearful,
truly Oscar worthy performance - not to be underscored by
an utter remorseful Jimmy Swaggert whose sins with the
local prostitutes were miraculously forgiven by.....aehm, yeah
by whom actually?

Intrepid wrote:
Quote:
I am in Church on Sunday morning listening to real preachers who do not ask for money.

Indirectly they all do (ask for money)!
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2005 02:07 pm
Calamity Jane Wrote:

Quote:
Indirectly they all do (ask for money)!

And so does the Red Cross, the Salvation Army, etc. They all have to pay the bills. The point is, what is the money used for? If the money is used for the correct purpose then what is the harm? The harm is when the money is used to promote personal gain and not the intended mission.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2005 02:17 pm
I agree Momma Angel, as long as you know what the money
is used for, and it is used for a cause you support, then there is
no harm done, regardless of the institution.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2005 02:20 pm
Gus, I have to confess. I don't hold my head up for hours afterward, but, well, since you aked and I am basically an honest person, I have to say it right out. I am not one to beat about the bush ordinarily, but you have me on the defensive here. If I go one way, I earn the Christian's scorn. Go the other, and Gus and the fellers will rib me. I have to say, oh, mother of pearl, I am one hundred percent not guilty of watching those shows.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2005 02:22 pm
Edgar,

Why would you say that you would earn the Christian's scorn?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2005 02:25 pm
For being a heathen, who does not tithe or bear any respect for those folks.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2005 02:26 pm
I've caught Joel whathisname a couple times. I'm usually in church on Sunday mornings and for the most part I practice insta-scroll past any evangalist on TV.
0 Replies